Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Should I replace cable or buy a portable DAP?

Hi all.   Here's another post of mine:

My cable for my Shure 535 IEM's died, and I have a spare really nice cable with a balanced 2.5mm termination, and all my portables (i-things) have a 3.5mm jack.  Almost all my Shure use is daily cycling to work, and the source is an old iphone.  I like the way they stop alot of wind noise.  I don't run them hard so I can hear the screech of the tyres of the V8 Commodore full of P platers that's about to hit me.  I do have a Dragonfly RED that I can use via an Apple "camera adapter" (lightning to USB) cable if need be.

So my options:

- buy an adapter for my very nice Audio Alo Litz to get from 2.5mm to 3.5mm and continue with phone as source.  These seem to cost at least $60 for a good one.

- just buy a DAP (such as Fiio or similar) with a 2.5mm jack for music only use.  I could possibly then use such as device for much of the day at work with a portable speaker (bluetooth or direct connection).  These seem to come up at not much more than an adapter! 

If the latter, then which model player?  I'd ideally want stuff on a card and ability to stream spotify and so on....

Cheers!  Mat

It sounds like something like that M6 would be an idea, given that a decent adapter will be $50....I might look for a used one.  I may well still get an adapter anyway...!

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

At least it’s a quality item that will compliment well to the cable and the headphones. This company specializes in headphone cables and connectors, so you paying for Research Development and quality materials.

Just a thought

Neo

Edited by Neo

13 minutes ago, Neo said:

At least it’s a quality item that will compliment well to the cable and the headphones. This company specializes in headphone cables and connectors, so you paying for Research Development and quality materials.

Just a thought

Neo

Cheers mate.  Don’t you hate it!?  A broken wire has me thinking g I should get a fancy portable digital player!

21 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Cheers mate.  Don’t you hate it!?  A broken wire has me thinking g I should get a fancy portable digital player!

Look at it this way, buying this is way cheaper than a DAP, which is just another thing you need to bring with you everywhere to get the benefits of the headphones and it’s cable

Neo

35 minutes ago, Neo said:

Look at it this way, buying this is way cheaper than a DAP, which is just another thing you need to bring with you everywhere to get the benefits of the headphones and it’s cable

Neo

Heh.  Wise words you speak.