KEF LSX + KUBE10 for small living area

Hi guys,

New to the forum, been doing lots of reading, not an expert on AV.

We are finally getting out of the rental market and moving into our own home.

Have a Yamaha soundbar/sub (SR-401) but planning an upgrade.

Looking to grab a pair of LSX to connect to the TV for 50/50 tv and music & planning to potentially grab a Kube 10 at the same time.

Room is small 4000mm x 6000mm it opens onto a kitchen area which flows through to a dining area.

Just after some advice on the plan, how much of an upgrade will it be over the soundbar and will the LSX/Kube be a good fit for the space.

I have researched a lot but also keen on any alternatives or if the LS50-W is a better option.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers guys

Hi, 

if you want the new system to replace your soundbar than you might consider to get 5 or more speakers + subwoofer eventually. In that case it might be better to go with passive speakers and AV receiver. If you like Kef than what about Kef Ls 50 x3 + 2 t surrounds + subwoofer + AVR. 

5 hours ago, TimHall said:

Hi guys,

New to the forum, been doing lots of reading, not an expert on AV.

We are finally getting out of the rental market and moving into our own home.

Have a Yamaha soundbar/sub (SR-401) but planning an upgrade.

Looking to grab a pair of LSX to connect to the TV for 50/50 tv and music & planning to potentially grab a Kube 10 at the same time.

Room is small 4000mm x 6000mm it opens onto a kitchen area which flows through to a dining area.

Just after some advice on the plan, how much of an upgrade will it be over the soundbar and will the LSX/Kube be a good fit for the space.

I have researched a lot but also keen on any alternatives or if the LS50-W is a better option.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers guys

I had the ls50w's and returned them for dynaudio xeo 20's. The xeo's unfortunately have less functions but i prefer their sound much more. Less fatiguing and has quite good bass. I bought bluesound node 2i to get the same features as the kef's, could alternaticely grab dynaudio's own solutions like the hub and link boxes. 

What did you end up getting? I have been keeping my eyes on the LSX's for a while now. I like that they have ethernet so that i can use airplay if i want to. I would probably use them more for just stereo music in the bedroom or even as a set of computer speakers. For the t.v. i just got a Sonos amp hooked up to my ML SLM XL's and Dynamo 700 sub. The ARC on the amp makes it such a great solution to clutter free my lounge. You could also go for the NAD M10 if you have some more $$$ to spend on the amp. How would you drove the sub with your setup?

On 26/02/2020 at 6:24 PM, TimHall said:

Room is small 4000mm x 6000mm

So is this 1, you can achieve a fair amount in a cosy space

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

7.2 set up, 130" cinemascope screen, 6 seats

I'd be really happy with LSX or LS50 as long as you aren't after high volumes. Anecdotally I've heard the UniQ drivers are prone to damage if driven hard. I'm still looking at a pair of LSX for my home office, but they will not be listened to loudly.

Edited by blybo

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I'd be really happy with LSX or LS50 as long as you aren't after high volumes. Anecdotally I've heard the UniQ drivers are prone to damage if driven hard. I'm still looking at a pair of LSX for my home office, but they will not be listened to loudly.

Surely this wouldn't be a problem if the bass was filtered off and sent to the subwoofer(s).

2 minutes ago, bmc said:

Surely this wouldn't be a problem if the bass was filtered off and sent to the subwoofer(s).

Do LSX have active crossover control? I'm not sure if damage is prone in the tweeter or bass driver, just repeating what I've read previously

46 minutes ago, blybo said:

Do LSX have active crossover control? I'm not sure if damage is prone in the tweeter or bass driver, just repeating what I've read previously

The LSX has a hi-pass filter adjustable from 50-120 Hz for use with subs.

Also, though I've seen pictures of damaged LS50 base drivers which have been overdriven, but I'm pretty sure the active LS50W and LSX use DSP to prevent this.

Edited by bmc

Hi guys I’m not moving until mid April but after having a listen I’m going to grab the ls50w initially and add a sub if required. Thanks got the feedback lads

Edited by TimHall