Matrix Audio Element owners?

3 minutes ago, lumholtzii said:

No, but I'll very interested to see responses here. 

I would love to simplify my stupidly complex setup, and the 'M' is semi-serious option 

It seems to tick a lot of boxes at a very good price point. Should have mine in a couple of weeks and will provide an in-depth analysis.

• Like 1

I want to see one in the flesh but there's only a single reseller in Sydney and it's not worth a flight to check it out. 

The manual reads with a strong hint of "chinglish" so I hope the actual product is more refined than that based on the cost.  

They look well through out and highly capable.  Some early niggles with software from some threads on the Roon forum.

• Like 1

A strong design influence from Schit products by the looks.

I guess as a Roon user you do have more flexibility choosing a streamer because the native app for the device isn't as critical.

App stability and usability is usually what separates the men from the boys in the streaming space and for Roon users it's a non issue from what I can tell.

• Like 1

I do not have this streamer, but I DO have their USB to SPDIF-2 device and I have to say it's exceptional. I'd be very tempted to grab some of their other hardware on the quality of that experience alone.

• Like 3

Just now, Ittaku said:

I do not have this streamer, but I DO have their USB to SPDIF-2 device and I have to say it's exceptional. I'd be very tempted to grab some of their other hardware on the quality of that experience alone.

Same here, and I agree, it is very good kit

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

A strong design influence from Schit products by the looks.

I guess as a Roon user you do have more flexibility choosing a streamer because the native app for the device isn't as critical.

App stability and usability is usually what separates the men from the boys in the streaming space and for Roon users it's a non issue from what I can tell.

I do use Roon but the MA app is very nice from what I have seen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Great to hear!

22 minutes ago, recur said:

@Hydrology, I hope who you bought it through has local stock.

Matrix have not opened back up yet and if they sent something from China, I'd be getting a big can of Glen20 onto it.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/15587/glen-20-disinfectant-spray-original-scent

I'm lucky, I never get sick - if anything I'm patient ZERO! (Yes, local stock)

33 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Would be interesting to see how it goes against the Mytek Brooklyn.

Looks like it's a good piece of kit.

when I started looking at the Matrix line a little bit bit more seriously I came across this.  He loves reviewing dacs, and it's worth a look.  It the X and Sabre-Pro, not the M, but it does have the Mytek

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 26/02/2020 at 12:48 PM, Hydrology said:

I do use Roon but the MA app is very nice from what I have seen.

I can confirm that the MA app is great, looks good, responsive and has native Tidal and Qobuz built-in, for those not on the Roon train.

Hi Hydro

I have the Element X and am pretty happy with it. The review on Audio science review had a strong influence on my decision to buy it. Being retired from working in the field of broadcast transmitters where compliance with specs' is everything, you realise that there can be big differences between theoretical and measured performance. The company gives the impression they are going to be around for the long haul and seem pretty responsive in addressing software bugs etc.

A problem was discovered by an Element X owner here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/matrix-audio-element-x-issue.11027/ It has now been fixed by a firmware update. I think it applies to Element M also. Element X has a more complex headphone amplifier than the others with four separate amplifiers. In unbalanced headphone mode a pair of amplifiers feeds the left/right channels of one TRS socket and another pair feeds the other socket. In balanced mode the amplifiers are in bridge connected pairs and feed the XLR socket. This allows more signal voltage drive for the 'phones with the same supply voltage.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Being a very happy  Matrix Element I (black) , owner for 2 month now ...coming from Meitner MA1 and EMM Labs and many years of vinyl , I can only say this is a great unit....the MA Remote app needs a bit more work ...BUT , I am simply running a 2TB SSD , with my favorite music selected from the NAS ,  XLR cable from the Element I , into the HOLTON 050 and my oh my , dead quiet , 99db horn speakers....just very , very nice music , great soundstage and  dynamics  ....!!!

Happy old duck here , very convenient remote control application for the old bloke LOL...!!!

Thanks Matrix....!!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Im interested in getting an element m or x, and was wondering if someone could advise on what the ma remote app is like with tidal? Im after a standalone unit to do full mqa decoding from tidal using xlr into my yamaha cxa 5200 - elektra hd2 7 amp and then into my monitor audio silber rx8s. 

Im impressed with mconnect thru my yamaha, but looking to improve my tidal sound. I dont want to use roon as id like to use the app. Does it work well and easy to play all tracks in a tidal playlist etc? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Draka

On 24/06/2020 at 8:42 AM, Draka76 said:

Hi all,

Im interested in getting an element m or x, and was wondering if someone could advise on what the ma remote app is like with tidal? Im after a standalone unit to do full mqa decoding from tidal using xlr into my yamaha cxa 5200 - elektra hd2 7 amp and then into my monitor audio silber rx8s. 

Im impressed with mconnect thru my yamaha, but looking to improve my tidal sound. I dont want to use roon as id like to use the app. Does it work well and easy to play all tracks in a tidal playlist etc? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Draka

Anyone? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Draka

Cant say I use the app much but it is well-thought out and does the job. I do believe however that it has a bug where it stops playing a track in a playlist and you need to hit play again to restart. Im sure this will be fixed in an upcoming software update.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Cant say I use the app much but it is well-thought out and does the job. I do believe however that it has a bug where it stops playing a track in a playlist and you need to hit play again to restart. Im sure this will be fixed in an upcoming software update.

Thanks Hydrology, that's great to know. 

Draka

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Anyone up-sampling at all? Read a thread about 88.2 being a real improvement.

I don't normally buy into this but just thought i'd ask.

Also what filters are we using? My preference is 3 or 7.