Bonnieprince

$850 Technics, or should I go Belt?

Hi guys, turntable question. I'm looking to get a new turntable. Basically looking for something solid that will last and give good sound.  I have an option for a recently serviced Technics 1200mk3 (Shure M75MB Cartdrige) for about $850 (AUD).  But would I be better off buying a new belt one for a similar price?

My thought with the Technics is Direct Drive seems more durable and as far as I can tell they're known for lasting. My current Thorens TD158 has had a bunch of issues so have gotten weary of belt driven stuff but am happy to be convinced out of my prejudice. 

Thanks!

Good direct drives are very good.  But they have more complex electronics, to potentially go wrong in the future.  There are thousands of 1200's out there, so likely to be good servicing options and there is a wealth of shared knowledge about them in cyberspace.

Belt-drives are simpler technology, and provided you can get belts can be very reliable and produce wonderful sound (with quality units).   You may have had bad luck with the TD158, or it might be a model prone to problems (I'm not an expert on them). 

Why not check out some, and go with what you feel sounds the best and meets your taste?

Spend a little bit more and get this TT currently in the classifieds>>> TT Bargain

As you'll see  it's got a cart that is a bit upmarket from the Shure M75MB Cartdrige your looking at, $900 new for the Black. Well worth a look and if it's not sold locally then I'm sure the vendor would pack it safely and send it north.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Spend a little bit more and get this TT currently in the classifieds>>> TT Bargain

As you'll see  it's got a cart that is a bit upmarket from the Shure M75MB Cartdrige your looking at, $900 new for the Black. Well worth a look and if it's not sold locally then I'm sure the vendor would pack it safely and send it north.

Very tempting, but about $400 out of my price range right now ☹️ if it's still for sale in a few weeks maybe. Thanks for the suggestion though!

$850 is a good price for a serviced Technics.

There is little chance that something new for that price could beat it.

I would go for it - as they are decent sounding and reliable.

You can certainly improve the sound later with a better cartridge.

17 hours ago, Douglas HiFi said:

$850 is a good price for a serviced Technics.

There is little chance that something new for that price could beat it.

I would go for it - as they are decent sounding and reliable.

You can certainly improve the sound later with a better cartridge.

I would agree with Simon's points but @Bonnieprince you need to have some idea of the history of the deck, has it been used by a DJ in a club and subjected to heavy wear and tear or has it been used as part of a Hi Fi system.

Is the seller a reputable dealer and what do they mean by "recently serviced" is there any warranty ?  The SL1200 mk3 could be up to thirty years old now.

As an example of a new belt drive turntable ,you could get a Rega Planar 2 for $849 new . Two quite different Turntables so hard to say witch is the best. 

http://www.livingsound.com.au/turntables/rega/

I have a pair of Technics SL1200 Mk 2's that I mainly use to DJ with plus a modified ,mid 70's Regar Planar 2 but I am presently using a Technics SL Q2  as my main deck,, mainly because it is well built, has the feature I need, plus I can change speed with out removing the platter and the arm lifts automatically at the end of the record and stops turning. 

Edited by EV Cali

2 hours ago, EV Cali said:

I would agree with Simon's points but @Bonnieprince you need to have some idea of the history of the deck, has it been used by a DJ in a club and subjected to heavy wear and tear or has it been used as part of a Hi Fi system.

Is the seller a reputable dealer and what do they mean by "recently serviced" is there any warranty ?  The SL1200 mk3 could be up to thirty years old now.

As an example of a new belt drive turntable ,you could get a Rega Planar 2 for $849 new . Two quite different Turntables so hard to say witch is the best. 

http://www.livingsound.com.au/turntables/rega/

I have a pair of Technics SL1200 Mk 2's that I mainly use to DJ with plus a modified ,mid 70's Regar Planar 2 but I am presently using a Technics SL Q2  as my main deck,, mainly because it is well built, has the feature I need, plus I can change seed with out removing the platter and the arm lifts automatically at the end of the record and stops turning. 

Hey @EV Cali, thanks for the reply. The Technics I'm looking at is listed here https://lofimusic.com.au/collections/turntables/products/technics-sl-1200-mk3-black-professional-dj-turntable-single-serviced-240v. Any opinion? 

Thanks for all the advice so far, has been useful 

Edited by Bonnieprince

8 hours ago, Bonnieprince said:

Hey @EV Cali, thanks for the reply. The Technics I'm looking at is listed here https://lofimusic.com.au/collections/turntables/products/technics-sl-1200-mk3-black-professional-dj-turntable-single-serviced-240v. Any opinion? 

Thanks for all the advice so far, has been useful 

From looking at their web site it looks like a good deal to me. May have some cosmetic wear and tear to the black plinth, finish but some may think that it gives it a bit of character. Price included post. No lid, but I understand the reloop ones fit.

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-turntable-dust-cover/

And if you change your mind you would probably be able to get back close to what you paid for it in a year or two's time and that would not be the case with a new Turntable.

Edited by EV Cali

Go for the Technics. As above, if you don’t like it down the track, it will hold it’s value if you sell it.

They do sound good, and as long as it is as advertised, you won’t be disappointed.

Then you can go down the cart rabbit hole.

Mr Relish

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the help.  I've ordered the Technics and it's on the way :) Will let you know how it goes!