Plasma repairer in Melbourne?

My samsung series 8 55' plasma went off last night - woke up to some loud noises coming out of my surround speakers (tv muted) - now won't power up/no standby lights etc.

So maybe a power supply board - was working perfectly well before.

(Sometimes seemed to get/generate interference noise if it came out of standby with the Cambridge CXU already on)

Guess have to decide whether it's worth fixing versus a new eg Sony HDLED or the like.

It's 7 years old so out of warranty (and it is a plasma) but it was doing a decent job.

Was wondering if anybody had any good experiences with local people?

such as Phil at

https://www.tvrepairsmelbourne.com.au/

who pick up too - which would be great.

or e.g. another Samsung service centre.

https://optimumesolutions.com.au/

otherwise I'll read the threads for 'which HDLED panel type to buy' etc etc.. and bite the bullet.

thanks James

Sometimes a simple fix. Usually just power supplies ... question do you want it fixed :D if do And happy enough I would ...

if want shiny new telly ... get one :D

if my Kuro does I figure it’s done it’s dash 10+ years is a good run. That said it’s still jaw dropping ...good as new ! Amazing thing ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

Sometimes a simple fix. Usually just power supplies ... question do you want it fixed :D if do And happy enough I would ...

if want shiny new telly ... get one :D

if my Kuro does I figure it’s done it’s dash 10+ years is a good run. That said it’s still jaw dropping ...good as new ! Amazing thing ....

But the question remains, if the Kuro went right now, would you want it fixed?  10yrs is about average,  my Sammy series 6 52” LCD from 2008 just won’t die!  Fark!   But just as well,  don’t have the biscuits to replace it!....

• Haha 1

cheers guys - waiting for some service people to 'get back to me.'

I'll take in a simple DVD to JB (worst case example for netflix and some "cough cough" art house movies) and see how it goes on a Sony - if it looks ok then I'll just bite the bullet on one that looks ok, don't really look at the screen from the side so I have a bit of choice with balck levels, screen types. The last time I looked at TVs I couldnt handle the soap opera effect (maybe over interpolated), movies seemed like watching cartoons compared to the clunky old plasma... but I'm sure things have come along significantly since a few years back (so I'm told).

The main problem of course - is I used to be indecisive

now I just dont know.

cheers James.

44 minutes ago, sloper said:

Proberley as simple as a cap.

regards Bruce

yer good call that would be an excellent result and a quick fix - and the world would start to turn again and the GF would be happy again.

If you do go for a new set (and not sure of your budget) the LG UHD 4k TVs are awesome. 50+ inch going in the $700s now at JB. Bought a 43 inch this weekend for $570 and it upscales everything to 4K with great results even on old tv series watched on the usb stick. This was a concern of mine as I too had been unimpressed with a lot of the TVs going round. Glad I got this one.

Good luck whichever way you go :)

• Like 1

I had my kuro serviced in Melbourne a couple of years ago after the dreaded pulsing power light of death. Cost me $600.  As good as new again. 

I can dig out the service centers details if that helps anyone?

• Like 1

thank Jeff/Lemarquis - got a guy coming around tomorrow to pick it up and he quoted $150 which includes fixing power supply if that is the problem - seems unstressful as I just open and close the door and hand over some coin with the hope it will be fixed... Called couple of others and they didn't get back to me. - if not off to JB. 

Yer that's good that the new TVs have come along - I'll heck out LG too. Hopefully I'll get more time out of this one which will give me flexibility to check out what's out there. Was thinking the ~2K mark for 55' again (possibly 65') and something to last a few years. cheers J.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeffwbrown said:

I can dig out the service centers details if that helps anyone?

why not :) 

1 hour ago, Jimboz said:

got a guy coming around tomorrow to pick it up and he quoted $150 which includes fixing power supply if that is the problem

great price and a very small price to pay. having checked out quite a few tvs in last year or so can assure you will be paying a decent sum to better the kuro these days even (in pure PQ terms). quality costs ... always has ... and still does :) that is not to say you might not be quite happy enough with something quite basic for not much money .... lot of people are :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I fixed one myself a little while ago.  Do some Googling, and I seem to recall they were known for dodgy capacitors in the power board.  Open it up and have a look for bulging/leaking caps....

yer I think this is what I'm going to do..... I'll let you guys know as the 'saga' continues.

Just now, SLE355 said:

The guy couldn't diagnose it then?

yes he diagnosed - PS 'upgrade' (dry joints and a new cap) and main board replacement - but the quote to fix/replace was steep. I asked someone else and they thought it was far too much... deciding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jimboz said:

yes he diagnosed - PS 'upgrade' (dry joints and a new cap) and main board replacement - but the quote to fix/replace was steep. I asked someone else and they thought it was far too much... deciding.

Have you tired searching eBay and Gumtree for second hand parts?

If none available, I'd just go new OLED.

Yer - looks like I can potentially get a main board from Brissy/ebay - for ~$100. The seller on ebay sounds helpful - can talk me through it etc. Not sure about the PS - but again could get a board too... Just got to make time to take the back off etc or pay more and get someone else. Watching Netflix huddled around an old $1K Dell 24inch computer monitor close to the sofa is not so bad - I'll appreciate the increased real estate later. But I don't have kids - so not much complaining.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the last of the Samsung Plasmas .

Unless your watching true 4K it is vastly superior to a uled and not far behind an oled.

But for the future when 4K becomes the norm then I shall update 

As far as fixing it there is an amazing amount of info on the net

Mine had a magenta "smear" in one corner with light back grounds

It was diagnosed as not fixable by Samsung

It was just a trim pot adjust with a volt meter that fixed it, all obtained via YouTube. 

• Like 3

OK chaps...

So I pulled it apart and checked for dry joints on the PS/Ysus/Zsus boards - I resoldered one that was probably already fine but looked a little bit 'cracked'. Checked the output DC from the PS board with a multimeter and the first two pins (standby and PS on) were within spec 3.4/5.2V and AC was fine too. All following a great chap from Brissbie for some quick diagnoses from ebay. All caps looked ok by eye so I've got a main board arriving for $99 on Tues/Wed from him. (all ICs on there so not much a half-hack like me can do) Hopefully I'll plug it in and all will be ok. .. and if not - hopefully we are all self-isolating far better so that JB can stay open. I've learned a bit last night!

James

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the board arrived, plugged her in and Kazzam!!!!

just the same.

then I realised the extension cable wasn't plugged in properly....

Huzzah!!! We have tv !!

if anyone's tv goes south I highly recommend contacting this guy on eBay .. he will take you through it from literally getting the back off to how to use a multimeter to check 240 and low voltage stage of power supply and then send a board.

it cost me $100 for the main board and just some time to check the others. He answered all my Qs in real time up to midnight!! 

Incomparison a guy took $150 off me to literally pick it up and bring it back and wanted an extra $250 to install the board.

He's called Tristan at extreme-tv-parts on eBay based in Bris - Sorry for the big link!

https://m.ebay.com.au/seller?sid=extreme-tv-parts&_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe12050.m3965.l1181%2F7%3Feuid%3Db15f81f75de24a5884d40881526ebc6d%26bu%3D43747492516%26segname%3D12050%26crd%3D20200329221529%26osub%3D-1%7E1%26ch%3Dosgood%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com.au%252Fulk%252Fusr%252Fextreme-tv-parts%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%2Cch%3Dch%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Curl%3Dloc%2Cosub%3Dosub%26srcrot%3De12050.m3965.l1181%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D30d2ff131710aadd2ef10bcefff8ff68&ul_noapp=true

Cheers and keep well!

James.

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jimboz said:

Cheers and keep well!

James.

great to hear things worked :) I hope i dont need to have to take avail... but sadly the ebay link doesnt work.... :D

ps long live the king....long may the king live.. ! 

best $100 spent have no doubt there is utter shite in TVs can buy at multiples more :D  

• Like 1