Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Luke97

Buying my first AV receiver

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

Long story short, i've got my hands on two large front speakers, two smaller rear speakers and a center speaker, but i need an AV receiver to power them. Problem however is that i'm not sure what to look for in terms of AV receiver. I'm mainly looking for an AV receiver that can not just power the speakers i already got but that's also somewhat "futureproof" and will last for a decent amount of time. 

 

The front speakers are rated at 8 ohm 25 to 120W 

The rear speakers are rated at 8 ohm 25 to 100W

The center speaker is rated at 8 ohm 25 to 100W

 

(I currently don't have any subwoofer, i'm currently doing some research and looking at buying a new one later. What i'm looking at is a 5.1 setup)

 

The ones i've checked out so far are Denon AVR-X2600H and Denon AVR-S650H, could perhaps any of these two do the trick? 

 

Edited by Luke97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What brand and model of speakers are you using? Plenty of brands take extreme liberties with their claimed impedance (ohms) while actually being hard to drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know models but it’s pretty hard to go wrong with a Marantz, Denon or a Yamaha (in that descending order, imho but many would disagree). Good to know a bit more about the speakers but also budget, sources and what you want to do with it.

 

I maintain you can get pretty spectacular value out of a 2nd hand av receiver if you’re willing to forego some of the latest bells/whistles.

 

are you in Oslo, Norway? Because that would probably rule out the classifieds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luke97 said:

I'm mainly looking for an AV receiver that can not just power the speakers i already got but that's also somewhat "futureproof" and will last for a decent amount of time. 

Some major challenges there. Sorry, but AVRs tend to be under powered, loose their value quickly because they do not have latest audio formats, bells and whistles etc.

 

Firstly on power. Please ignore the marketing BS on the power per channel. NAD, Arcam give the real power per channel when driven simultaneously. But others fudge. To get a better idea of the real power, use the total power consumption divided by number of channels at 50 % efficiency. For e.g

 Denon X2600h with 500W power consumption will give about 35W for each channel. 

 

If you want future proofing, get a multi channel power amp, which does not go out of date and pair with a lower mid range AVR which has preouts. Then, it is cheaper to just replace the AVR.

 

If you do not want the latest audio formats, then probably can get away with older models. Or buy last year's model when new one comes out.

 

Lastly, consider room correction software. This is old, but still relevant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Quark said:

What brand and model of speakers are you using? Plenty of brands take extreme liberties with their claimed impedance (ohms) while actually being hard to drive.

All of them are from the old B&W 300 series speakers

 

5 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I don’t know models but it’s pretty hard to go wrong with a Marantz, Denon or a Yamaha (in that descending order, imho but many would disagree). Good to know a bit more about the speakers but also budget, sources and what you want to do with it.

 

I maintain you can get pretty spectacular value out of a 2nd hand av receiver if you’re willing to forego some of the latest bells/whistles.

 

are you in Oslo, Norway? Because that would probably rule out the classifieds 

My budget is around 800$. I will mainly be using it for movies and some music. 

 

Yes, i would consider buying something 2nd hand, but my options are limited, it's difficult to find good deals around here unless you go and search overseas. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Some major challenges there. Sorry, but AVRs tend to be under powered, loose their value quickly because they do not have latest audio formats, bells and whistles etc.

 

Firstly on power. Please ignore the marketing BS on the power per channel. NAD, Arcam give the real power per channel when driven simultaneously. But others fudge. To get a better idea of the real power, use the total power consumption divided by number of channels at 50 % efficiency. For e.g

 Denon X2600h with 500W power consumption will give about 35W for each channel. 

 

If you want future proofing, get a multi channel power amp, which does not go out of date and pair with a lower mid range AVR which has preouts. Then, it is cheaper to just replace the AVR.

 

If you do not want the latest audio formats, then probably can get away with older models. Or buy last year's model when new one comes out.

 

Lastly, consider room correction software. This is old, but still relevant.

 

I see, thanks for the input. I don't know much about audio formats etc, i don't think it matters much, i just want something that's solid with good sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luke97 said:

I see, thanks for the input. I don't know much about audio formats etc, i don't think it matters much, i just want something that's solid with good sound. 

Please have a look at this for audio formats

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-surround-sound-1846802

The biggest change a few years ago is Atmos and there is an article to read.

 

Solid with good sound could be an older high end model (without Atmos) which has larger power consumption. You did not mention whether you would be using the setup for music. If so, then some brands are better with music e.g. Marantz, Anthem, NAD, Arcam, Cambridge Audio.  The better room correction software will give better sound.

Edited by Snoopy8
Missed earlier post about music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luke97 said:

All of them are from the old B&W 300 series speakers

 

My budget is around 800$. I will mainly be using it for movies and some music. 

 

Yes, i would consider buying something 2nd hand, but my options are limited, it's difficult to find good deals around here unless you go and search overseas. 

 

While I can't find any reviews with impedance measurements for your speakers, B&W are one of the prime culprits for claiming innocuous impedance, while often having some very nasty impedance dips in bass frequencies.

 

As Snoopy8 suggested, consider a gruntier AVR like the recent NADs, that are more likely to cope with such dips. Also, make sure you get a sub, set all your speakers to "small" and crossover to 80Hz or thereabouts - this will take the bass load off your AVR and avoid some of those impedance dips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thank you all

 

I decided to go with a Marantz 6013 that i managed to find with a 20% discount. I mainly choosed this one for the Audyssey XT32.

I think it should be decent enough with it's 680 watts especially since i only run 5 speakers. 

Edited by Luke97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Luke97 said:

Thank you all

 

I decided to go with a Marantz 6013 that i managed to find with a 20% discount. I mainly choosed this one for the Audyssey XT32.

I think it should be decent enough with it's 680 watts especially since i only run 5 speakers. 

Probably better if you disable Audyssey with music, but do compare playing music with and without.

 

The Marantz will give about 40W (690/9 @50% efficiency).  There may be a slight increase because you are using 5 channels. If you need more power, then get a multi channel power amp.

 

Enjoy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...