Cartridge recommendations for Thorens TD-165

Hi all.  A friend broke his cart so I thought I’d help to find a good replacement.  He’s keeping budget to a few hundred, so I thought maybe a quality used MM is in order?

Details of his setup:

- MM phono stage only (so maybe a high output MC could possibly work?) however I have a spare Creek OBH9se mc phono stage to lend him, so open to other options.....

- Thorens TD-165 table, Thorens TP-11 arm, Thorens TP-60 headshell (effective mass 16.5)

A bit of a Google brought up maybe a Denon DL110, or something by Shure?

What do the brains trust reckon?  

Mat

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

There is  a high standard of performance  and value for money, to be gained from the Ortofon and the  Audio Technica range of cartridges. That is a safer option than a second hand cartridge with a worn diamond or fitted with a  generic replacement diamond  stylus. Look for  the AT VM95E or the OM 10 models as starters.

Edited by VanArn
additions
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VanArn said:

There is  a high standard of performance  and value for money, to be gained from the Ortofon and the  Audio Technica range of cartridges. That is a safer option than a second hand cartridge with a worn diamond or fitted with a  generic replacement diamond  stylus. Look for   for the AT VM95E or the OM 10 models as starters.

I also thought about AT.  Where would the sweet spot lie?  Mat

It is down to the condition of the vinyl collection ;  if it is  from the '80,s and less than pristine then I would not fuss too much . Even so a  cartridge fitted with a  fine line diamond would be my starting point.

Vinyl Revival in Fitzroy deal with both the  Ortofon and Audio Technica .

Edited by VanArn

The Tp 11  arm is designed for low mass high compliance cartridges and I would regard it as a good match for most current mm models. A listening session with the ability to compare different cartridges instantly ( using unworn recordings) would be a valid  test.  Alas this service in hi fi shops appears to be a thing of the past.

The AT 30 is obsolete, although a replacement stylus is still available (VN31E). An up-to-date option would be the AT-OC9 series in the moving coil  range. Like the AT VM 95, there are options on the diamond type / cantilever material and unfortunately ,  significant price increases for the more exotic versions.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2020 at 7:09 AM, VanArn said:

The AT 30 is obsolete, although a replacement stylus is still available (VN31E). 

And the AT30e is a low output moving coil.  There is an high output model,  the AT30HE, which would work into a MM phono stage.  Though as VanArn says,  all these are now obsolete,  so you are chasing new old stock parts. 

If you have a few hundred to spend,  then you could stretch to the AT VM95ML, which has a microline stylus,  though as VanArn suggests,  the condition of the vinyl will determine whether it is worth using such an advanced stylus profile. 

I have a AT VM540ML , a little more expensive than the AT95, and is perhaps even better suited as a high compliance cartridge.  In my opinion,  the AT VM540ML sounds fantastic.  I can also say that the AT VM540ML comfortably exceeds the old AT30e in almost every aspect - I used to have an AT30e in my collection.