Magnesium Limited Now Finished

bhobba

Hi All

Well, after a long wait, my Magnesium Limited's are now finished.

I had a listen to them a while ago now but have not got around to writing it up.

Well there is nothing to be said except they are the finest speaker Mike has yet build, and I have ever heard.

Its strengths are speed and crystal clear transparency, like a window to the performance.   I heard things in familiar recordings I never heard before.

A number of people have now heard it and were equally impressed.   Needless to say Mike is very happy and has been giving thought to a new speaker based on mine.   But he is best to speak about that.

Please do go down to Mike's if you can and have a listen.   It's a bit different to Mike's usual speakers, being of a more crystalline clarity than organic kind of sound.

There will be a GTG to hear it, but no  date has been set.   Feel free to suggest a date.

Thanks

Bill   

• Like 2

Radiant ebony.   Mike made a special stand containing the external crossover on a special spring platform he uses in all his speakers these days.

When he rang me to  tell me he had completed tuning and burning in, he said he was very impressed with the final result, so impressed he wants to design a speaker using the new SEAS magnesium driver coated with Graphene that helps with the breakup that is very difficult to control in the crossover.   It took Mike many tries over a number of years to get it just right.

I think Mike can comment on anything else.   My speaker will be down at Mike's so anyone can hear it.

Anyone got any ideas on when to hold the GTG?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 3:41 PM, anandpkumar said:

Congratulations mate! You are one patient man - it seems from the 'linked' post that these speakers have been in the making since 2015!!

Mike has never been known as a speedy designer.. But i've had 3 sets of speakers in that time, so agree Bills pretty crazy.

• Like 1

On 25/2/2020 at 2:42 AM, bhobba said:

Please do go down to Mike's if you can and have a listen.   It's a bit different to Mike's usual speakers, being of a more crystalline clarity than organic kind of sound. 

Wow! It's seriously hard to imagine anything clearer than my ML2 Limiteds - I certainly haven't heard anything that is. Will have to hear them!

I must say though that I do love the 'organic' quality of the HDS drivers - such an amazingly natural tonality, which is important to me. I also love the fact that they're so vice-free - I'm sure more exotic drivers are better in one area or another, but the HDS are such excellent all-rounders.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

the first thing I thought of when seeing the new pic was !

wouldn't it be nice if mike made a bass section to suite the mags

ok bit like the wilson watt design ,with a lenehan twist ;) 

and did youall read the review on his speaker cable that was posted on sna the other week ?

compared to the siltech triple crown,...……...not too much in it 

58 minutes ago, colinm1 said:

ok bit like the wilson watt design ,with a lenehan twist ;) 

and did youall read the review on his speaker cable that was posted on sna the other week ?

compared to the siltech triple crown,...……...not too much in it 

I think Mike has venture in to that design area in the past.

I heard some monsters that were of that kind of configuration that he designed years ago, the big bottom enclosure looking after bass with a T-M-T enclosure on top, or was it T- M, I can't remember, but they did sound impressive to me at the time.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, muon* said:

I think Mike has venture in to that design area in the past.

I heard some monsters that were of that kind of configuration that he designed years ago, the big bottom enclosure looking after bass with a T-M-T enclosure on top, or was it T- M, I can't remember, but they did sound impressive to me at the time.

the watts had 1 cable into the bass speaker .as david Wilson did not believe in bi amping,specially for this design

then the puppy tail went to the tiny tot where it had a crossover to split the mid and tweeter,

the bass had a crossover to split the bass out only I believe and sent the rest to the tiny tot,

all encapsulated in epoxy with only a fused resistor visible to protect the tweeter

the big advantage in this design is 

the maker can adjust the slope so enough mids can still come through the bass to give body to the sound,or fleshed out 

owner has no adjustment ,which is good ,in many cases,

the wilsons were known for their seamless integration of the drivers

with the lenehan's being such a great speaker,the only small downfall would be the bass ,

there is only so much you can do in this area, without destroying the balance,

BUT adding a bass box is not that easy ,to integrate specially into an existing design

I used a special home made bladder between the bass and the tiny tots ,

the results were stunning to say the least, but time alignment also had to be addressed,which I did,

I have used some heavy weight speaker cables in the past but now use mike latest 

im still running in the ic's,but they also sound promising to replace my 6k cables

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, colinm1 said:

the watts had 1 cable into the bass speaker .as david Wilson did not believe in bi amping,specially for this design

then the puppy tail went to the tiny tot where it had a crossover to split the mid and tweeter,

the bass had a crossover to split the bass out only I believe and sent the rest to the tiny tot,

all encapsulated in epoxy with only a fused resistor visible to protect the tweeter

the big advantage in this design is 

the maker can adjust the slope so enough mids can still come through the bass to give body to the sound,or fleshed out 

owner has no adjustment ,which is good ,in many cases,

the wilsons were known for their seamless integration of the drivers

with the lenehan's being such a great speaker,the only small downfall would be the bass ,

there is only so much you can do in this area, without destroying the balance,

BUT adding a bass box is not that easy ,to integrate specially into an existing design

I used a special home made bladder between the bass and the tiny tots ,

the results were stunning to say the least, but time alignment also had to be addressed,which I did,

I have used some heavy weight speaker cables in the past but now use mike latest 

im still running in the ic's,but they also sound promising to replace my 6k cables

I'm not sure how Mike configured the XO's in those speakers I mentioned that I heard years ago, but we could expect something that was well implemented.

I can imagine the new cables are very nice, I managed to get some used RibbonTek's and am impressed with them and his latest FoiolFlex are likely noticeably better again :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2020 at 11:20 AM, colinm1 said:

I got a then state of the art subwoofer from Martin Logan to go with them.   It's not quite SOTA anymore, but was shocked at the bass coming out of these things.   You have to hear it to believe it.   No subwoofer need for me anyway.   IMHO the bass is better than ML2's.

Mike's working feverishly during the Coronavirus outbreak on the new speakers and we may end up with  GTG having the ML5, ML2, these Magnesuim's and the one Mike is working on.

Thanks

Bill