Tannoy Owners & Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

20 minutes ago, rob said:

Playing Black Sabbath at 110 DB today. Not sure the church would 

In the church of tannoy Westminster are a pass to do as you please! I'm sure 110db with no distortion is like a baptism sitting between these ! Can only imagine 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agentorange2 said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned and adopted a life of gluttony.   ?

IMG_0665.jpg

Having a it be a new set of arden's is a pass on that sin! They look beautiful, how do they sound ? do preach  ?

3 minutes ago, Willmax said:

Glad to see some action in the Tannoy Owners & Discussion thread.  

Thanks @Lx4man for kicking it off for us. 

Welcome @rob and @agentorangethanks for the two beautiful specimens presented. 

What amplifiers are you using to drive these speakers?

Hi mate, I've owned many over the years. Including Nagra, Cary, Mcintosh,

KR  Audio,  Manley,  EAR etc. Decided to get of the merry go round and have been using an Accuphase E-450 for the past 10 years.

I also use 2x18" active subs and Tannoy super tweeters. 

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Willmax said:

With the cold and wet weather this weekend makes for the perfect excuse to stay indoors and indulge in the Tannoy sound :wub:

20200614_150347.thumb.jpg.24b7fcba259c9e37d8ac6dfe703c0e1f.jpg

I see you found what you were looking for there ? how do the cyber 800's go with the berlkeys ?

Edited by Lx4man
  • Like 1

Just now, rob said:

KR  Audio,  Manley,  EAR etc. Decided to get of the merry go round and have been using an Accuphase E-450 for the past 10 years.

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

Wow! Some beautiful gear in that room ! Do the st200 super tweeters add their value to the setup ? I've been thinking about getting a pair of st100's at some stage to see if they add that extra "air" to the sound but at times i don't feel there needed

1 hour ago, Lx4man said:

Having a it be a new set of arden's is a pass on that sin! They look beautiful, how do they sound ? do preach  ?

Big 'n' ballsy Lx4man , I had to spend more time with placement than I thought I would ( partly due to some room issues ) but in the end after some patience and some room treatment updates got there.

I'm particularly enjoying jazz with these speakers.

43 minutes ago, Willmax said:

Glad to see some action in the Tannoy Owners & Discussion thread.  

Thanks @Lx4man for kicking it off for us. 

Welcome @rob and @agentorangethanks for the two beautiful specimens presented. 

What amplifiers are you using to drive these speakers?

Hi Willmax ,

Current amplification is a Supratek Cabernet pre which is keeping a watchful eye on a couple of SST's Ampzilla mono-blocks.

There is a Sansui and Modwright kicking around also but the former seems to be the holy grail [sunday church gag].

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lx4man said:

Wow! Some beautiful gear in that room ! Do the st200 super tweeters add their value to the setup ? I've been thinking about getting a pair of st100's at some stage to see if they add that extra "air" to the sound but at times i don't feel there needed

I would have to say they do. Of course it comes down to personal preferences.

For me they slightly change the overall tonal balance from warm and full to slightly more clean, clear and crisp. There is a noticeable increase to "air" and surprisingly a significant improvement with bass. Kick drums, slap and pluck of bass strings etc have more "SNAP" to their leading edge. Making the music  sound more realistic and closer to what I hear live. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob said:

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

Holy Moley batman, that's an impressive setup you've got there.

I would not have thought you'd need the subs with the Westminster but at the same time they should round out the bass nicely in your room, do they?

1 hour ago, Lx4man said:

I see you found what you were looking for there ? how do the cyber 800's go with the berlkeys ?

Yes indeed. They drive the Berkeleys very well, with a lush midrange and powerfull bottom end. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jgunner said:

@Willmax I’m still hunting a suitable pair of stands. Otherwise I am pretty stoked with them. Here’s my humble setup ?

1B257C49-76DB-4CC6-9E6C-A84A65EC95C0.jpeg

Is this willmax's pair that was recently up for sale again in vic ? If so good to see someone snapped them up ? great value considering the price rise happening with the 15" tannoys now 

2 hours ago, jgunner said:

@Willmax I’m still hunting a suitable pair of stands. Otherwise I am pretty stoked with them. Here’s my humble setup ?

1B257C49-76DB-4CC6-9E6C-A84A65EC95C0.jpeg

Nice one, it should pair nicely with the Class A Luxman ?

A suitable stand will be a nice addition and further improve the sound.

• Like 1