Tannoy Owners & Discussion

Tannoy Saturn 6 LCR speakers here.  Pairs well with tube amps,  UL push pull designs with a bit more wattage over SETs. Had them for nearly 18 years and watched a movie using them yesterday - still kicking hard no issues :)  Only thing that fell apart were the original port bungs that were made from foam.  They crumbled 6 years ago when i tried to remove them....oh well.

Edited by Porkbuns69

Hi

The drivers I have in them are HPD 385 15" re-coned and re- foamed with new crossovers from Mark Pitcher who is recommended by Tannoy and there dealer network for his years of work on crossover design.. I am listening to the Westies at the moment and are in the process of fitting the American oak trims that will finish them off completelyand will post pics online then..
I am just about to post some items for sale in the classifieds if you would be interested in moving to 15" Tannoys. I have Tannoy GRF horn loaded cabinets in Vannered plywood top and sides with the matt black fronts which I have listened to for the last 5 years and they sound great, also a Weston Acoustics 30 watt Triode push pull amp from Earle and a Rega dac with Audiophilleo 1..

Let me know if you would be interested?

Cheers

Chris

pm'd you [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2019 at 6:57 PM, portent said:

Thanks for your comments..

I have owned a pair of Tannoy HPD 385 15” drivers for around 9 years now which I re-coned and re-foamed recently.. They have lived their life for the last 3 years in cabinets made by an old school cabinet maker friend, the Tannoy GRF rectangular horn enclosures made out of vaneered plywood..

I purchased a valve triode push pull amp from Earle from EHT who is well known on the forum and have had many hours of listening pleasure with this amp.. My source has always been dac based with a large hi res digital file collection and I was interested to know of any other combination of hardware that Tannoy owners use and their experiences..

just finished a tick on my bucket list and completed construction of Tannoy Westminster Royal SE cabinets from plans posted on the web and they sound as good as I have read from reviews..

Please keep this post going with all the Tannoy enthusiasts and people interested in trying the dual concentric route...

Cheers 

Gday Mate just read your comments re HPDs. And was most interested in your comment “from plans posted on the web”. Was this from DIY page in Croatia or or such, or did you find on “ The Art of Sound” forum UK.

cheers Dave

On 10/06/2019 at 9:35 PM, portent said:

Sounds like you have put together a solid system.. just have to finish the solid oak trim on the Westminster’s and they are finished.. listening to them In the meantime,  will let you know when they are complete if you would like to demo.. Earl’s amps are great, I just purchased a Mac MC 275 version 6 to replace a triode push pull I had from Earl.. Needing a good preamp if you have any suggestions.. Running Roon through a Qutest dac.. Re the x overs I replaced mine with Jantzen from a Guy in the Uk who supplies the Tannoy dealers throughout the uk, he is well known by Tannoy the Factory and I found him great to deal with if you need his details let me know.. He advertises on EBay...

Good effort mate......I would like to hear them when finished. I have yet to hear another Westie, factory built or other.

cheers Dave

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Nice to meet all Tannoy owners under one thread ! :)

Here is a video of my Tannoys, Tannoy Arden with HPD385 drivers. Amplifier used here in this video is a Luxman L58a.

Crossovers are original one but recapped.

It is HPD385 drivers which made me to fall in love with Tannoys ! :) .. No other speakers impressed me this much for the money I can afford.

All Tannoys I have tried so far is all HPD385 drivers but different cabinets. Tried them in custom cabinets made by Krix Australia, in Original Berkeley and Arden cabinets. I would like to try the 15" Gold drivers, different cabinets and do some experiments with crossovers in future. 

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...

I hope, I'm not too late to join the Tannoy Owner's thread  :party

The Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers, particularly the HPD series, may not be the 'ultimate' in terms of resolution, but ohhh ever sooo enjoyable to listen to nonetheless!

Cheviot

Arundel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tannoys normally come with a 5th Terminal - to connect a cable that would help in eliminating the "RF" if any .....question is where can I find an affordable grounding block ? Surely this should no thousands of  $$$$ :) 

I read about SR Blocks and Swedish Entreq etc.....but high priced...

Anyone with Tannoys and the 5th terminal usage ? - kindly share your experience.....and workaround....

Thanks 

Inked2322482_LI.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2020 at 6:26 PM, Pradeep said:

Hi Friends

Greetings.

Is there any forum for Tannoy Owners.

Any thoughts, please share.

regards/ Pradeep

You've come to the right place. This is it ?

Hopefully we can start getting a bit more traction from the several Tannoy owners we have on SNA.

And my monitor gold 15's that needed a bit of a service before fitting them too some 250 reflex enclosures ! Recapped the original crossovers as they were well out of spec but yet to find space to set them up and listen 

20200208_114044.jpg

20200208_114816.jpg

20200208_114829.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lx4man said:

And my monitor gold 15's that needed a bit of a service before fitting them too some 250 reflex enclosures ! Recapped the original crossovers as they were well out of spec but yet to find space to set them up and listen 

20200208_114044.jpg

20200208_114816.jpg

20200208_114829.jpg

wow some Tannoy p0rn right there

had a slow day on call at work end of last year so spent the time trapped in the workshop very wisely , i recapped a pair of s10 saturns which only use a very basic crossover but they still seem to be an awesome bang for buck speaker ! I also set up bias on some vtl compact 100's and after that i couldn't wait until the end of work day so i set them up in the parts room ! Despite the acoustics of a mechanics workshop i still had an enjoyable afyernoon listening at work ?

20191215_181521.jpg

20191215_182416.jpg

20191215_184651.jpg

20191221_154303.jpg

• Like 1

this is the enclosures for the gold 15's , they were me and my dads last project together , unfortunately he passed unexpectedly earlier this year before they were fully completed! Im sure he would be happy 

20200314_113657.jpg

20200314_115757.jpg

20200314_150418.jpg

20200314_214624.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Willmax said:

That's pretty cool for a workshop setup.

What's sort of preamps and amplifiers do you use to drive your Tannoy speakers?

I have a few integrateds that i swap around a cayin a88t mk2 , a Vincent sv236 , a lightly modified Yaqin mc100b , i have some consonace cyber 845 monos and a cyber 222 i would like to try with the 15 inch golds when i have the space to setup  

• Like 1

So mostly valve amplification then, I think I saw someone looking for a pair of Cyber 845 in the classifieds the other day.... 'wink' 'wink'...

joking aside, I'd be keen to hear your impressions on the 845 driving the MG when you get around to it. 

PS: I'm sorry about your dad, I'm sure he'd be happy to have you continue his legacy, keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 11:11 PM, Willmax said:

So mostly valve amplification then, I think I saw someone looking for a pair of Cyber 845 in the classifieds the other day.... 'wink' 'wink'...

joking aside, I'd be keen to hear your impressions on the 845 driving the MG when you get around to it. 

PS: I'm sorry about your dad, I'm sure he'd be happy to have you continue his legacy, keep up the good work!

I hope you can find a pair before winter because if the tannoy sound doesnt warm the house enough 845's double as a heater as well, and if you don't like the sound maybe they would make an attractive bedside table light .......looks like ive found too many reasons to keep mine ? there has been a few pairs up for sale in the last year or so so hopefully  you won't have to wait too long 

Thanks mate , just enjoying this hobby is like having a part of him still here , can't look at tannoys without thinking about dad ?

• Like 2