Tannoy Owners & Discussion

Hi audiophile out there,

I wonder if you guys own or has listened to tannoy R3 or M2. Personal comments? or recomendation with amp, cdp? (other than review fm online audio website).

I am thinking of using it with an av receiver for music and HT.

Hi audiophile out there,

I wonder if you guys own or has listened to tannoy R3 or M2. Personal comments? or recomendation with amp, cdp? (other than review fm online audio website).

I am thinking of using it with an av receiver for music and HT.

Yah............me (my family) using the tannoy R3................with NAD C370 as int. amplifier and 541 as CDP. Generally, the speakers are quite good........it really excel in the midrange and the bass. THough it must not place to near to the wall if not the bass will get boomy.

I also using it to watch DVD with pioneer 535K. It is good enough to watch DVD in stereo.

• 17 years later...

Hi all

Just interested in how many of you out there are using the Tannoy  classic dual concentric drivers and which versions, and what equipment you are using with them.

Would appreciate your comments on speaker cabinets used, amps tube or solid state and source preference of digital or vinyl..

Look forward to all your feedback..

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

The  highly regarded Tannoy  models are the  15''  Monitor Gold and HPD  385  series and the 12'' Monitor Gold and HPD 315 series.  It may pay to concentrate on these types to receive pertinent  information concerning their performance , enclosure types and  suitable amplification equipment. The Monitor Golds are very expensive to purchase , S/H and the HPDs can be in need of much attention as a result of rough surround repairs. I am not a fan of the  typical Tannoy enclosure designs.

• Like 2

Hi I use tannoy berkleys with both a Mac in tosh 225 classic amp and also sugden masterclass classA I love the big 15 inch speaker. I also have 10 in monitor golds in original cabs tend to be my bedroom speaker.although a "small" speaker by tannoy standards they out perform most other stand mounts for my taste.

i was put onto Tannoy by Robin a high buddy in hobart who uses Cheviots. We have both tried many speakers, spendors etc and still come back to  Tannoys.  Sure he could advise more 

Friends have heard my berkleys and are amazed. I'd describe strengths as musical and rich rather than analytical and accurate.  But that's fine for me as I like vintage tube amps 

Very easy to to live with and they fit against the wall so easy to install.

best is to buy a pair and listen for 6 months you will sell for same money if you don't enjoy. Enjoy 

Also I would add that vintage Tannoys are a hobbyist speaker plenty of info out there on cabs and improvements etc. prices on rare vintage ones can get pricey especially in Asia markets. If you spend around $2k for a lightly restored model it's a great way to see how you like them you will likely  re sell at same money.  When I look thru ads I notice they sell pretty quickly. 

I have the baby of the group, the Tannoy Eaton.  Luck to find them and I just love them.  Very easy to listen to, nice than any of the too many other speakers I have.  I don’t have any very special amps to drive them, a Cambridge 651A Azur and a couple of older Nakamichi ones.  Eatons seem easy to drive.  I can only imagine how good the bigger ones sound.

Thanks for your comments..

I have owned a pair of Tannoy HPD 385 15” drivers for around 9 years now which I re-coned and re-foamed recently.. They have lived their life for the last 3 years in cabinets made by an old school cabinet maker friend, the Tannoy GRF rectangular horn enclosures made out of vaneered plywood..

I purchased a valve triode push pull amp from Earle from EHT who is well known on the forum and have had many hours of listening pleasure with this amp.. My source has always been dac based with a large hi res digital file collection and I was interested to know of any other combination of hardware that Tannoy owners use and their experiences..

just finished a tick on my bucket list and completed construction of Tannoy Westminster Royal SE cabinets from plans posted on the web and they sound as good as I have read from reviews..

Please keep this post going with all the Tannoy enthusiasts and people interested in trying the dual concentric route...

Cheers 

• Like 2

I'm using the Canterbury SE...with tube pre and power amp..and CD player.. i prefer the sound of Tannoy over the B&W 800 D2,, D3.... Dynaudio C4..PMC BM-SE and Sonus Faber...it easy to drive..

4 minutes ago, Antran said:

I'm using the Canterbury SE...with tube pre and power amp..and CD player.. i prefer the sound of Tannoy over the B&W 800 D2,, D3.... Dynaudio C4..PMC BM-SE and Sonus Faber...it easy to drive..

Hi Antran

what pre and power are you using?

I have a pair Tannoy monitor Gold 15” and Gold 12” speakers. I run them with valve amps mostly - my message signature bellow should list them (all are a good match with them). Overall the monitor golds sound really good to me and are easy to drive. Speaker placement is pretty critical for getting precise imaging, but they sound great when setup well. I’m yet to refresh the crossovers, but reckon that’ll be something I’ll do soon when I have time. I’d love to hear the Royal SE enclosures you made by the way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fidelity4u said:

I have a pair Tannoy monitor Gold 15” and Gold 12” speakers. I run them with valve amps mostly - my message signature bellow should list them (all are a good match with them). Overall the monitor golds sound really good to me and are easy to drive. Speaker placement is pretty critical for getting precise imaging, but they sound great when setup well. I’m yet to refresh the crossovers, but reckon that’ll be something I’ll do soon when I have time. I’d love to hear the Royal SE enclosures you made by the way.

Sounds like you have put together a solid system.. just have to finish the solid oak trim on the Westminster’s and they are finished.. listening to them In the meantime,  will let you know when they are complete if you would like to demo.. Earl’s amps are great, I just purchased a Mac MC 275 version 6 to replace a triode push pull I had from Earl.. Needing a good preamp if you have any suggestions.. Running Roon through a Qutest dac.. Re the x overs I replaced mine with Jantzen from a Guy in the Uk who supplies the Tannoy dealers throughout the uk, he is well known by Tannoy the Factory and I found him great to deal with if you need his details let me know.. He advertises on EBay...

@portent  - I’d definitely like to hear your tannoys when they’re completed.

Regarding the pre-amp, I’d be reluctant to recommend anything in particular without knowing what you’re wanting out of your system in a bit more detail.

Given your amp and Dac are fairly portable I’d probably lug it around to a few of the local Hi-Fi stores to narrow things down a bit. You’d be welcome to bring it over to mine to try out my pres and have a bit of a chat at some stage if you’d like (mind you My partner and I are due to have a new baby by the end of the week, so timing could become an issue shortly. Feel free to send me a PM if you want.

Personally, for valves power amps, I often don’t want much coloration, so settled on ‘The Truth’ pre; which is effectively a passive pre with a circuit that optimised impedance and a light based volume attenuator. Tortuga make similar products, which have better linearity to the volume attenuation. 

I’ve attached a link of a review of The Truth pre below:-

https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/the_truth_e.html

If you want to get a valve pre, there are a fair few good options (most are modern, a lot of the old designs can be a bit more hit and miss).  I heard a Supratek pre recently that was great - very detailed, focused imaging, and a nice warmth to the sound.  Also, the Coincident Statement pre is good. I own one, it adds a bit of body and dimensionality above and beyond The Truth’, but isn’t quiet as clean sounding.  There’s plenty of other good options out there, but I haven’t heard many in systems I’m familiar with.

11 hours ago, portent said:

Hi Antran

what pre and power are you using?

pre is Audio Research Ref5SE,, power is VTL Mb-750..I'm using Audio Research CD-6 as a CD player and as DAC...I'm test it with combination like Audio Research pre and power...Audio research pre and MacIntose  power....audio research pre and Mark Lavension power..and of course with VTL power/pre...to my ears I prefer the audio research pre and VTL power.. All cabling are cheap like home made chord brand speaker cable.. Standard power cable that come with units and cheap J-car rca cables interconnect for now...

I have the Tannoy Westminster SE speakers , love them. I had the Canterbury SE before  , nice speaker but like the Westminster's better . Amps are Bakoon great sound very natural. Most of the time I use my antipodes DX  , but still play vinyl , either way I do not think I would part from my Westie's .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lancer181 said:

I have the Tannoy Westminster SE speakers , love them. I had the Canterbury SE before  , nice speaker but like the Westminster's better . Amps are Bakoon great sound very natural. Most of the time I use my antipodes DX  , but still play vinyl , either way I do not think I would part from my Westie's .

Thanks for your info...

I haven’t played with vinyl for quite a few years now, do you find the difference between high quality digital compared to your vinyl colllection?

hey chris , i have tannoy glenair 10, tannoy glenair 15's , some tannoy mayfairs , monitor gold 12's and some hpd385's , i prefer with valves but are good on solid state too, even with the mix of old and new tannoys i have the simarlarities in sound are closer than the differances , one thing i can say is out of all the speakers i have in my collection the tannoys are the easiest to drive and always seem to be pleasent and full sounding ! hope your enjoying them.[emoji1362]

I have a pair of Tannoy Stirling HR 's  which I am using with a Leben CS600 valve integraded amp. Using both Vinyl and Cd with them. I also use a Harmon Karmon Hk990 during the warmer times of year with them, which sounds very good as well, but different to the Valve amp. Would like to go up the 'line' and maybe get a set of  Kingstons or similar, but I don't think I will be able to afford to do that, not even S/h. however love the sound of the Stirlings, not the last word in Detail if that's what you want, but very 'Musical' . Have had a lot of speakers, but enjoy the Tannoys more so than most of the ones I have had, or have heard.

Hi Chris

what driver will you use in the Westminster cabs.?

I had plans to make a wife friendly cabs for the 10inch MG I have havn't done it yet though.( may just sell them to let another enjoy.)

One day I would love to get Westminsters, a go big or go home approach.

I recently had the crosssovers on my Berkleys  checked out, some caps were replaced, made a tremendous difference to the impact especially on drums etc, it really got them moving.

Its just amazing what these vintage speakers can do especially at what is a reasonable cost

maybe share some photos of the new Westminster Cabs sure members would enjoy.

Hi Chris

I had plans to make a wife friendly cabs for the 10inch MG I have havn't done it yet though.( may just sell them to let another enjoy.)

I recently had the crosssovers on my Berkleys  checked out, some caps were replaced, made a tremendous difference to the impact especially on drums etc, it really got them moving.
Its just amazing what these vintage speakers can do especially at what is a reasonable cost

have you seen the tannoy corenetta cabinet designs for the 10 inch monitor gold ? apatently that is like a scaled down autograph cabinet for the 10 inch MG

On 16/06/2019 at 1:49 PM, Royq said:

Hi Chris

Hi Chris

Hi

The drivers I have in them are HPD 385 15" re-coned and re- foamed with new crossovers from Mark Pitcher who is recommended by Tannoy and there dealer network for his years of work on crossover design.. I am listening to the Westies at the moment and are in the process of fitting the American oak trims that will finish them off completelyand will post pics online then..

I am just about to post some items for sale in the classifieds if you would be interested in moving to 15" Tannoys. I have Tannoy GRF horn loaded cabinets in Vannered plywood top and sides with the matt black fronts which I have listened to for the last 5 years and they sound great, also a Weston Acoustics 30 watt Triode push pull amp from Earle and a Rega dac with Audiophilleo 1..

Let me know if you would be interested?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Hi

Thanks for your reply, will share the pics when I have fitted the oak mouldings in a couple of weeks...

I also changed my crossovers too from the original Tannoys and it made a huge difference, they were made by Mark Pitcher in the Uk, I can highly recommend his work. He is highly recommended by the Tannoy dealers I have spoken with...

With the right set up and tweeks the Tannoys sound great..

Cheers

Chris