Hand made Vinyl Cleaners

So I decided to dip my toe back into Vinyl , I think I must have had beer googles on or at least Rose tinted ones. The clicks pops and static drove me crazy , so I gradually got the brushes , felt pads , turntable counter weight,  anti static gun . But in truth all my old LP's needed a deep clean. So I went down the DIY stage these are pics of my first attempt anyone got a formula for good results ?

20200223_144034.jpg

20200223_143718.jpg

20200223_143724.jpg

Edited by DEANO23

33 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Go ultrasonic or glue peel. Everything else is just beating about the bush.

Hah!  I would say "Go ultrasonic or wet/vac. Everything else is just beating about the bush!"

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Hah!  I would say "Go ultrasonic or wet/vac. Everything else is just beating about the bush!"

Andy

A wet vac on it's own doesn't do much more than make records look clean. They do however reduce static. I've tried wet vac, US and glue peel as stand alone, and wet vac is by far the least effective. However, using a vac after the other options is highly recommended and of great value IME.

• Like 2

A

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-STAINLESS-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-ULTRA-SONIC-BATH-CLEANING-TANK-TIMER-AU/173240414757?var=471952170261

@DEANO23 I agree with all the others recommending Ultrasonic.

You are already half way there with your record holder and motor, just order the tank linked to above and you will be complete.

Just one thing, in your photo it looks like you have more than one record clamped together, is that the case?

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

A wet vac on it's own doesn't do much more than make records look clean.

My mileage is indeed very different, Mike!  :)  My manual Nitty Gritty served me very well for 20 years.

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

However, using a vac after the other options is highly recommended and of great value IME.

Using a vac after a us clean is essential IME - unless you have implemented a 1 micron (or less) filter circuit with your us tank.  If you've done this, you don't have any gunk in the liquid that remains in the grooves after you've removed the LPs from the tank - so you can air dry.

But if you haven't used a filter circuit then the gunk is in suspension, in the liquid in the grooves - so a vac is necessary to remove this gunk ... otherwise it will remain at the bottom of the grooves when the liquid evaporates.

Andy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EV Cali said:

A

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-STAINLESS-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-ULTRA-SONIC-BATH-CLEANING-TANK-TIMER-AU/173240414757?var=471952170261

@DEANO23 I agree with all the others recommending Ultrasonic.

You are already half way there with your record holder and motor, just order the tank linked to above and you will be complete.

Just one thing, in your photo it looks like you have more than one record clamped together, is that the case?

No , there are separators it's a 4 record clamp rod . 

Guest jakeyb77
30 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

Okay I used 3 parts distilled 1 part isocol 4 drops of the low suds earth dishwashing liquid . I'd read other additives but used what seems to be the most common on the internet . 

Don’t use Isocol it’s only 70% isopropyl and 30% crap you don’t want. Buy isopropyl off ebay cheap. 
instead of the dish liquid use a couple of drops of photoflo (spelling) you can also get that off ebay. 
Basically you are making a clean water/alcohol mix with a surfactant to break the water seal. 
There was also a type of finish rinse aid from memory but it’s has to be a yellow bottle. Check the google 

1 hour ago, jakeyb77 said:

Don’t use Isocol it’s only 70% isopropyl and 30% crap you don’t want. Buy isopropyl off ebay cheap. 
instead of the dish liquid use a couple of drops of photoflo (spelling) you can also get that off ebay. 
Basically you are making a clean water/alcohol mix with a surfactant to break the water seal. 
There was also a type of finish rinse aid from memory but it’s has to be a yellow bottle. Check the google 

^   ^   ^   What he said!

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is available from Radio Parts in, I think, 5l plastic containers ... otherwise it can be bought from chemists in 500ml bottles.  And, yes, a small amount of Photoflo (Kodak) or Ilfotrol (Ilford) as the surfactant - which makes the mixture slide off the vinyl surface.

Andy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, t_mike said:

Go ultrasonic or glue peel. Everything else is just beating about the bush.

A sensible bipartisan approach.......?

19 hours ago, andyr said:

Andy

A wet dream......?

On 24/02/2020 at 3:47 PM, t_mike said:

A wet vac on it's own doesn't do much more than make records look clean. They do however reduce static. I've tried wet vac, US and glue peel as stand alone, and wet vac is by far the least effective. However, using a vac after the other options is highly recommended and of great value IME.

BS. IMO.

Edited by Wimbo