Moving house with your LPs

I was going to ask about packing lps for a move, but just found a box from Naked Wines - it is really solid cardboard and holds a lot of records ( maybe 40) in an excellent fit- not too heat either. Now to find some more!

Other suggestions ?

I hate starting a new stream but. I tried various searches on this unsuccessfully 

2290B367-DB1A-4529-90A1-22FAE97A5816.jpeg

18 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Standard milk crate are the best, strong and easy to handle.

That was what I did 6 months ago when I moved.

Just be careful they are not ACTUAL milk crates, which are not LP size and would mean your precious cargo would be potentially crushed and damaged.

'Milk crates' from Bunnings are another story... cut much larger and fit LP's really well.

You can also often get them s/hand from record stores for $5-10 a piece.

• Like 1

Back when milk came in imperial sizes actual milk crates were a perfect fit for records.  Then metric came along and spoiled things for record collectors, as the new crates didn't fit records.  I wonder if that was by design because so many people stole the milk crates for records. 

The plastic crates from Bunnings are a good width and depth, but don't have the height so you can't stack them. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

Having moved my collection up and down the west coast of Australia on at least four occasions , to and from England the once, and from Canberra to Sydney to Wollongong I have to say that the stout cardboard boxes that removalists sell do the job extremely well. Have never had even a single episode of damage in all of my moves.

• Thanks 1

I bought a few boxes from Kennards. They have a size suitable for 12" records. Around $3.30 each from memory and they do buy them back for around half that if they are in good nick. Internally I double-lined them with bubble wrap and placed two 12" cardboard record mailing boxes against the two longer sides. Use decent box cardboard if you don't have any. Plenty of protection and I've never had a problem.

I've also asked at places like Harvey Norman and Good Guys. They might send you to their loading dock or tell you to come back on a certain day of the week but I've got some great boxes from them.

Reminds me of when I was in rentals and moved often (landlords selling my home from under me!).  I have many 45s, in boxes which allow for flicking through.  For some reason removalists would always drop them, and I would discover one box where they had taken records that had fallen out and shoved them back into the box, tearing sleeves in the process.  They wrecked a few valuable disks in the process, but I wouldn't discover until some time after the move when I would be getting the non-essentials organised.  My lesson:  don't trust the removalists, and move anything delicate/valuabe in your car if you can, no matter how well packed it is. 

14 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

I was going to ask about packing lps for a move, but just found a box from Naked Wines - it is really solid cardboard and holds a lot of records ( maybe 40) in an excellent fit- not too heat either. Now to find some more!

Other suggestions ?

I hate starting a new stream but. I tried various searches on this unsuccessfully 

2290B367-DB1A-4529-90A1-22FAE97A5816.jpeg

The wine club dozen boxes are great. Virgin wine club better again. I've just shipped 10x of these boxes to Europe and they held up really well. Think I had closer to  60 records per box and used lesser second hand records at the ends in case of any corner crunches.

On 24/02/2020 at 1:56 PM, audiofeline said:

Back when milk came in imperial sizes actual milk crates were a perfect fit for records.  Then metric came along and spoiled things for record collectors, as the new crates didn't fit records.  I wonder if that was by design because so many people stole the milk crates for records. 

The plastic crates from Bunnings are a good width and depth, but don't have the height so you can't stack them. 

For moving flip them around to sit flat in the box- that’s how dealers stack them for transport to markets

45 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

For moving flip them around to sit flat in the box- that’s how dealers stack them for transport to markets

Edit:

I absolutely do NOT recommend this unless specifically done with those crates that have a very snug fit and even then, with great care.

No record dealer I have ever seen at any market I have been to (over 20+ years) has ever transported there vinyl collection flat. Is that the type of dealers and markets you refer to?  Someone like the Vinyl Junkie, who needs to transport 50-100 crates in his van all around the Eastern states, uses crates that have good top clearance, meaning he doesn't have to do anything but rack and stack 'em vertically and line them up at the destination, rather than re-packing every single box each time.

Flat storage just leads to horizontal movement of the wax inside the cover and is the biggest contributor to cover 'push-through', where the record slides around and pierces both the inner sleeve, and the record cover sides, also potentially marking the vinyl inside from rubbing wear. Stacking them vertically means the vinyl stays where it should be, nice and stable, without any (or as much) rubs.

Of course for longer storage, this is even more important - stacking horizontally means a much greater chance of warping through weight and heat, and is never recommended, even for short journeys.

Edited by candyflip
clarity

I've moved many, many times unfortunately! Local and interstate moves with a large collection of records. I go to officeworks and buy packs of archive boxes. They are rated to carry the heavy weight of records and do it well. Only issue is the lids will only sit on top, but i've never had an issue with this as i havent stacked boxes on top of each other.

• Like 1