Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

Moving house with your LPs

I was going to ask about packing lps for a move, but just found a box from Naked Wines - it is really solid cardboard and holds a lot of records ( maybe 40) in an excellent fit- not too heat either. Now to find some more!

Other suggestions ?

I hate starting a new stream but. I tried various searches on this unsuccessfully 

2290B367-DB1A-4529-90A1-22FAE97A5816.jpeg

Standard milk crate are the best, strong and easy to handle.

That was what I did 6 months ago when I moved.

Edited by dwbasement

18 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Standard milk crate are the best, strong and easy to handle.

That was what I did 6 months ago when I moved.

Just be careful they are not ACTUAL milk crates, which are not LP size and would mean your precious cargo would be potentially crushed and damaged.

'Milk crates' from Bunnings are another story... cut much larger and fit LP's really well.

You can also often get them s/hand from record stores for $5-10 a piece.

Back when milk came in imperial sizes actual milk crates were a perfect fit for records.  Then metric came along and spoiled things for record collectors, as the new crates didn't fit records.  I wonder if that was by design because so many people stole the milk crates for records. 

The plastic crates from Bunnings are a good width and depth, but don't have the height so you can't stack them. 

Edited by audiofeline

Having moved my collection up and down the west coast of Australia on at least four occasions , to and from England the once, and from Canberra to Sydney to Wollongong I have to say that the stout cardboard boxes that removalists sell do the job extremely well. Have never had even a single episode of damage in all of my moves.

We're moving at the end of March and I'll be using boxes from work that our PCB assemblies arrive in.

They're 12-1/2 x 16 x 16 inches and double-walled. 

Assuming they work well, maybe I should put them up on the Pay It Forward thread after the move.

I bought a few boxes from Kennards. They have a size suitable for 12" records. Around $3.30 each from memory and they do buy them back for around half that if they are in good nick. Internally I double-lined them with bubble wrap and placed two 12" cardboard record mailing boxes against the two longer sides. Use decent box cardboard if you don't have any. Plenty of protection and I've never had a problem.

I've also asked at places like Harvey Norman and Good Guys. They might send you to their loading dock or tell you to come back on a certain day of the week but I've got some great boxes from them.

For just moving, strong cardboard boxes are good enough.  

for storage for any length of time I would instead go for these or similar sealable plastic boxes.  Obviously it also depends on the value of the records

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/australia

Anyway you look at it if its a sizable collection then its going to be backbreak no matter how you decide to tackle it! Been there. done that...

Reminds me of when I was in rentals and moved often (landlords selling my home from under me!).  I have many 45s, in boxes which allow for flicking through.  For some reason removalists would always drop them, and I would discover one box where they had taken records that had fallen out and shoved them back into the box, tearing sleeves in the process.  They wrecked a few valuable disks in the process, but I wouldn't discover until some time after the move when I would be getting the non-essentials organised.  My lesson:  don't trust the removalists, and move anything delicate/valuabe in your car if you can, no matter how well packed it is. 

14 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

I was going to ask about packing lps for a move, but just found a box from Naked Wines - it is really solid cardboard and holds a lot of records ( maybe 40) in an excellent fit- not too heat either. Now to find some more!

Other suggestions ?

I hate starting a new stream but. I tried various searches on this unsuccessfully 

2290B367-DB1A-4529-90A1-22FAE97A5816.jpeg

The wine club dozen boxes are great. Virgin wine club better again. I've just shipped 10x of these boxes to Europe and they held up really well. Think I had closer to  60 records per box and used lesser second hand records at the ends in case of any corner crunches.

On 24/02/2020 at 1:56 PM, audiofeline said:

Back when milk came in imperial sizes actual milk crates were a perfect fit for records.  Then metric came along and spoiled things for record collectors, as the new crates didn't fit records.  I wonder if that was by design because so many people stole the milk crates for records. 

The plastic crates from Bunnings are a good width and depth, but don't have the height so you can't stack them. 

For moving flip them around to sit flat in the box- that’s how dealers stack them for transport to markets

45 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

For moving flip them around to sit flat in the box- that’s how dealers stack them for transport to markets

Edit:

I absolutely do NOT recommend this unless specifically done with those crates that have a very snug fit and even then, with great care.

No record dealer I have ever seen at any market I have been to (over 20+ years) has ever transported there vinyl collection flat. Is that the type of dealers and markets you refer to?  Someone like the Vinyl Junkie, who needs to transport 50-100 crates in his van all around the Eastern states, uses crates that have good top clearance, meaning he doesn't have to do anything but rack and stack 'em vertically and line them up at the destination, rather than re-packing every single box each time.

Flat storage just leads to horizontal movement of the wax inside the cover and is the biggest contributor to cover 'push-through', where the record slides around and pierces both the inner sleeve, and the record cover sides, also potentially marking the vinyl inside from rubbing wear. Stacking them vertically means the vinyl stays where it should be, nice and stable, without any (or as much) rubs.

Of course for longer storage, this is even more important - stacking horizontally means a much greater chance of warping through weight and heat, and is never recommended, even for short journeys.

Edited by candyflip
clarity

I've moved many, many times unfortunately! Local and interstate moves with a large collection of records. I go to officeworks and buy packs of archive boxes. They are rated to carry the heavy weight of records and do it well. Only issue is the lids will only sit on top, but i've never had an issue with this as i havent stacked boxes on top of each other.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Warren Jones
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Terang State: Victoria Payment Method: Reason for selling: Never used Further information: I have decided to sell some of my Wings and Paul McCartney LP's. All were bought new by me in the 1970/80's and all are Australian pressings. Some like Wings over America have never been out of the jacket. All are as NEW, most are first Aussie pressings. The record jackets and inner sleeves are in the same condition they came new from Brashes in Dee Why.

This is a once in a life time opportunity to obtain effectively new old stock LP's.

I know how difficult it can be to buy used LP's so I'm happy for anyone to audition on my Technics SP10. I played Wings Wild Life for the first time last night and without cleaning it was as you would expect from a new LP.

$100.00 each plus postage if needed

Wings
      Back to the Egg........................YEX987/988.........................1979....................inner sleeve.......................Never played
      London town..............................YEX975/976..........................1978...................poster and sleeve...........Never played
      Wings Over America...........YEX963-968...........................1976........................................................................Never played
      Red Rose Speedway.............YEX903/904..........................1973..................inner book.............................Never played
      Wings Wild Life.......................YEX871/872............................1971..........................................................................Played once

Paul McCartney
      RAM............................................YEX837/838...................no date on label...........................................................Never played
      Pipes Of Peace....................P165230A/B...................1983........................inner sleeve..................................Never played
      Tug of War..............................PCTP259..........................1982........................inner sleeve.................................Never played
      McCartney II.........................PCTC258A/B..................1980........................inner sleeve.................................Never played

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By soulsurvivor
      Price: $30 Item Condition: VG - NM Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Adelaide State: South Australia Payment Method: Paypal Reason for selling: No longer required Blues / Prog Vinyl LP Record Sale.
      1.Otis Spann - Otis Spann (Archive Of Folk Music, Everest Records Archive Of Folk & Jazz Music) LP, R VG+ C VG+ $25
      2.Sonny Rhodes - I Don't Want My Blues Colored Bright (LP, Album) Label:Advent (3) Cat#: 2808 R VG+ C VG+ $30
      3.Slim Harpo - Tip On In (LP, Album, RE)Label:Excello, ExcelloCat#: LP-8008-SO1, 8008 SO-1 R VG+ C VG+ $35
      4.Sleepy John Estes ‎– The Legend Of Sleepy John Estes Label: Delmark Records ‎– DS-603 LP, Album, Reissue, Stereo USA R NM C NM $40
      5.Eddie Shaw (2) - Movin' And Groovin' Man (LP)Label:Isabel RecordsCat#: 900.514 R NM C NM $25
      6.Fenton Robinson - I Hear Some Blues Downstairs (LP) Label:Alligator Records Cat#: AL 4710 R VG+ C VG+ $25
      7.Rory Gallagher - Against The Grain (LP, Album) Label:Chrysalis, Chrysalis Cat#: L 35712, (CHR 1098) C VG+ R VG+ $30
      8.Supertramp - Breakfast In America (LP, Album) Label:A&M Records, A&M Records Cat#: L 36715, SP-3708 Australia R VG+ C VG+ $25
      9.Supertramp - Crime Of The Century (LP, Album) Label:A&M Records, A&M Records Cat#: L 35426, SP 3647 Australia R VG+ C VG $20
      10.King Crimson - Lizard (LP, Album) Label:Philips Cat#: PDS 356 1970 Australia R VG GFC VG $40
      11.Emerson, Lake & Palmer Label: Manticore ‎– K 43503 Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue UK 1973 R NM C NM $35
      12.Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‎– Tarkus Label: Atlantic ‎– SD 9900 Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, gatefold Australia 1971 R VG+ GFC VG+ $20
      13.Deep Purple ‎– Fireball Harvest ‎– SHVL-793 LP, Album, Gatefold Australia 1971 R VG+ C VG $30
      14. Boston ‎– Third Stage MCA Records ‎– 6188-1 LP, Album, Gatefold Australia 1986 R VG+ C VG+ $25
      15. Bob Seger - Greatest Hits 2 LP Gatefold Capitol 1995 UK  8 30334 1 R 1 VG+ R 2 VG+ GFC VG+ $75
      16. Cream - Live Cream Volume II (LP, Album) Australia R NM C VG+ $25
      17. Free ‎– Free & Easy, Rough & Ready Island Records ‎– 28 243 ET LP Germany (Compilation) R NM C NM $30
      18. Rolling Stones ‎– Black And Blue Rolling Stones Records ‎– ESS-63005 LP, Album, Reissue, Gatefold Japan 1979 With OBI & Innersleeve & Lyric Sheet R NM GFC NM INS NM $45 SOLD
      19. Rolling Stones ‎– Sticky Fingers Rolling Stones Records ‎– C*C 59100 LP Australia Original Pressing. (No Zipper) R NM C VG+ Innersleeve VG+ $45 SOLD
      20.The Jimi Hendrix Experience -Axis Bold As Love - MONO Classic Records, Inc. ‎– 612 003 180gm LP R VG+ (light marks don't affect play) (Superb sound!) GFC NM INS VG+ $60

Buyer Information:
      I use Discogs Grading Guidelines to determine the condition of a record. Gradings are Record first and then Cover. (GFC = Gatefold Cover).
      Payment by Paypal only. All prices are in Australian dollars. No pickups sorry. Delivery is by Australia Post.
      If you are interested in any of these records please note either SOLD or NIL as a comment in this post. I will then send you a PM to confirm. Please note that these records may be listed on other sites so please wait for a comment from me to confirm your purchase.
      Records are not considered sold until payment is received.
      Payment must be concluded within 48 hours or the option to purchase will be passed on to the next buyer in line or put back up for sale.
      All vinyl listed is from my own record collection and play well with any issues noted in the description. 
      Your total cost including postage to your destination will be sent via private message. I only ship to your registered Paypal address so please make sure this is correct before payment.

Photos:  Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By jazzdog@groovemasters
      Item: Box Set B 20 classical boxset vinyl records
      Price: $80.00. 
      Item Condition: discs: VG+ or better but need to be cleaned. Several boxes have mold on the discs. Boxes: just VG, some have water damage, a few are split/tears, most have shelf wear, see photos below. see photo of highlighted UK pressings, orange or plum labels, those with the full wide band should be first press I think.
      Reason for selling: downsize/cull continues
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD, prefer bank transfer
      Extra Info: play grading done on disc 1 of side 1.  Prefer local sale at this point. Happy to take questions about the labels, pressing dates. Don't have my phone camera today, so photos a bit rough. The UK pressings are highlighted below. No discs missing from boxes. Includes the original booklet/books for most sets as far as I can tell.  The boxes are major & minor labels, except the Klemperer Beethoven 9 symphonies is WRC Au pressing (i.e. EMI Australia).

If you buy at the asking price of $80.00 before Wednesday 29 October, I will throw in 10 World Record Club box sets gratis. A 10% donation will be made to SNA following completion of the sale.

• By jazzdog@groovemasters
      Item: Box Set A 20 classical boxset vinyl records
      Price: $60.00. 
      Item Condition: discs: VG+ or better but need to be cleaned. Several boxes have mold on the discs. Boxes: just VG, some have water damage, a few are split/tears, most have shelf wear, see photos below. see photo of highlighted UK pressings + the Columbia Notes  Au pressing, every bit as good as UK 33cx pressings (IMLO).
      Reason for selling: downsize/cull continues
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: play grading done on disc 1 of side 1.  Prefer local sale at this point. Happy to take questions about the labels, pressing dates. Don't have my phone camera today, so photos a bit rough. The UK pressings are highlighted below. No discs missing from boxes. Includes the original booklet/books for most sets as far as I can tell.  The boxes are major & minor labels, the Mendelssohn Felix is WRC Au pressing (i.e. EMI Australia).

If you buy at the asking price of $60.00 before Wednesday 29 October, I throw in 10 World Record Club box sets gratis. A 10% donation will be made to SNA following completion of the sale.

• By Audio Connection
      Item: Acoustic Signature WOW turntable in gloss black ex display condition
      Price: $2,300.
      Item Condition: Ex display 
      Reason for selling: Clearance 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Credit card, Direct deposit 
      Extra Info: Can freight at extra cost 

Exceptional turntable from Acoustic Signature's Wow series turntable, this is in NEW unused and comes with optional clamp for free. Some of the many features include the employment of the same bearing design and AC motor found in all Acoustic Signature turntables, it also uses a 9-lb CNC-machined platter with a leather mat, and is in a high-gloss black acrylic finish. The tonearm is a Rega RB303.