I would like to create a new topic called spinning new. The criteria can be any genre and on any musical source. The only proviso is that it has to be a new listing (never been submitted before). With a short description identifying the type of music, with perhaps a comparative to similer sounding artists.

While l love the other spinning posts, and l am most respective, I am finding them highly repetative.

While l love music from the past 50 years. Most people that know me, know l hanker for something new and I'm forever looking (costing me a small fortune, but hey that's the hobby).  Pretty much most of my postings have been new records/CDs.

I will start it off by posting a cd l received on Friday. I am going to have a couple of red wines and then have a listen later in the day.

So 1st cab off the rank is:

Tropical F##k Storm. Yes l know the name is not the best, but don't let that put you off. The lead singer is Gareth Liddiard from that other great Aussie band, The Drones. So the obvious comparison is going to be that band. The sound is the same, but more frenetic, with insane guitar work. A bit space rocky. So The Drones on Steroids. Not sure if The Drones are still together? But what a great band.  But l have been fortunate to have seen them live a couple of times.

The album title is called, A Laughing Death In Meatspace.

Cheers.

15824365210266931604106874646512.jpg

• Like 1

@needlerunner      You need to look harder as A Laughing Death In Meatspace has been spun a few times, in just spinning and Australian artists on vinyl.    Great album.😉   

I get your drift thou re playing albums that have been released post 2019, let alone 1999.:)

They have a new album that came out about 6 months ago - Braindrops.    

No great departure from the frenetic Drones sound you mention - check it out as its excellent as well.

0GqnETI.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

DIIV ‎– Deceiver - new album from the US shoegaze band DIIV.  changed their sound slightly from pop shoegaze to a little heavier guitar sound - think Jesus and Marychain / My Bloody Valentine and on the right track.     This is a grower and I can't wait til April to see them live when they tour.

8TTtoet.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, metal beat said:

DIIV ‎– Deceiver - new album from the US shoegaze band DIIV.  changed their sound slightly from pop shoegaze to a little heavier guitar sound - think Jesus and Marychain / My Bloody Valentine and on the right track.     This is a grower and I can't wait til April to see them live when they tour.

8TTtoet.jpg

Thanks MB. Love all the artists you have just mentioned. You appear get what l mean.

For the record, I just wanted to go into another direction. No disrespect intended to what others list. But I wanted to see something new, apart from Modonna, Prince, Dire Straights, Fleetwood Mack and the same ilk repeated ad nousium.

Look, I'm 66 yo. But I feel that some people don't want to embrace new music outside their own musical sphere of when they were younger.

And again that's fine. But l feel you are missing out.

Me, l just search for bands l loved as a young tacker, that sound similer, and in most cases have evolved and sound even better. Bands such as Porcupine Tree and anything from Steven Wilson, Pineapple Thief is another band new to me. If not for these forums, l would never have heard of Marilium. Now this is band from the 80s, but l had never heard of them. Now l have all their albums...such joy.

My best mate all he ever played was Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and The Eagles, Hotel California. The new bands l listened to in the 80s, 90s, he recon'd they where crap. Now he calls them classics. Lol.

I love DSOTM, but how many times can you listen to it. And that goes for most of the old classics. 

I thought they might be interest from like minded people, to post artists that may not be mainstream

( or never heard of) but of a caliber of music that they can identify with.

So l hope this post really takes off.

Insidently, l heard a band on Bandcamp yesterday called Lowrider. They say the genre is dessertert music. They give Queens of the Stone Age a run for their money l can tell you.  They have just released a new album called Refractions and their only other album is called Ode to 10.

This album must be a rarity, as on Amazon it is going for several hundred$. I have mamaged to find 2nd hand cd for 15 bucks. Before yesterday l had not heard of this band.  I have ordered Refractions also.  That is how much l liked them.

This is just me, loving the hobby and taking it to where ever l want too. But l like to share what l like. Spread the message so to speak.

And for you Prog Rockers our there.

Have a listen to (if not already) a band called Blind Ego. A cross between Porcupine Tree and IQ IMO.  Lovely stuff. Will post when l recieve their album Numb.

Cheers.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A Download from Bandcamp Nothing Nil by Shanghai artist Knopha. To quote from Bandcamp:-

The music of Xiamen beatmaker, Knopha, feels like it’s infused with the sunny vibe of that seaside city. And while he calls Xiamen home, Knopha is also a regular fixture at Shanghai clubs like Elevator and Dada, which is where he first connected with Endy Chen and Cookie Zhang. Like many producers, Knopha is a dedicated crate-digger, rummaging through the bins at trash markets—markets that sell vinyl records imported into the country under the guise of rubbish—in search of anything new or interesting. He became fascinated by Japanese musicians who fused sounds from the East and West, and attempts to straddle that same line with his own music. His three-track EP Nothing Nil—which has now sold out of three consecutive vinyl pressings—fuses, gorgeous billowing ambient sounds for an introspective album powered by uplifting beats.

1767593489_NothingNilKnopha.jpg.49aba6099844a3d5e3ca14b3bc971e60.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

This is a very good idea, I like your suggestions. I really like to test myself and my knowledge) For example, it would be interesting for me to determine cultural identity, belonging to a musical group, for example, by how the music sounds or by the written text. I got a little carried away by studying culture and reading https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/cultural-identity/ so that since seems very interesting to me. It was these essay examples that gave me the idea of such an alleged quiz)

Edited by Forejusell
  • 2 months later...
On 23/02/2020 at 9:42 PM, metal beat said:

8TTtoet.jpg

This album has been on serious rotation at my place for 18 months now.

if you dig this, check out the first album by Cheetahs. https://cheatahs.bandcamp.com/album/cheatahs

not quite as mopey as the Diiv record, more akin to early Swervedriver. 

also the new record by Bedroom would be worth a listen; https://bdrmm.bandcamp.com/album/bedroom

i’m a huge shoegaze fan. Beautiful noise is the most arresting form

of music for me.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A35FC7C0-F9ED-4A49-AD61-4D97123BD996.thumb.jpeg.a06b66cd6a364f3c54c0b7dfc3c0a482.jpeg

La Lusid

Self-titled

Swedish 5 piece indie band. I love the singer Paulina Palmgren’s soothing voice. Surprised myself I played this a lot last year. The blue vinyl also sounds terrific! Don’t think many knows about them so please check them out. 😁

Edited by MoveD

9397FB47-19A8-4936-8492-174FB60361A0.thumb.jpeg.347b7e4e8995d402c4356a8725653070.jpeg

Christian Kjellvander

Songs From A Two Room Chapel 

2019 Reissue 

Original release 2002. Another Swede I discovered last year. Scandi-alt-country/folk/rock. His voice is addictive.

324061922_RoseCityBand.thumb.jpg.a29d53eca85c268acf13af2e5b2524a8.jpg

Ripley Johnson, of Wooden Shjips/Moon Duo, anonymously released his Rose City Band project iin 2019 with a limited-edition LP that included almost no technical information. The band was mostly just Johnson, joined by a few friends to flesh out recordings of his stripped-down psychedelic country 60s/70s Laurel Canyon

Oops just realised this is an old thread which has gone very stale - even the OP has only made the one and only post!

It’s a shame no one else wants to keep this going. I totally agree with the OP the other spinning thread is very repetitive with the few old artists... oh well! 

Edited by MoveD

But a good thread to revive! 

So, from the above I am not sure what the citeria is for what plays in here.  I don't have the patience to search all threads to see if something has been posted somewhere.  And i am not sure if original intent was "post an artist that nobody has previouslky posted" or "post a release that has not been reported as playing in any other thread".

Either way, expecting all to search all threads before posting may limit the flow. Maybe define an alternate and easier criteria for members to curate????  Like "released less than one year prior to the post date" and "not a reissue"?

1 hour ago, Dilettanteque said:

Either way, expecting all to search all threads before posting may limit the flow. Maybe define an alternate and easier criteria for members to curate????  Like "released less than one year prior to the post date" and "not a reissue"?

yeah that’s probably already proved too hard for many. I would just take it as “album which I think no one has posted” - or “have never seen posted” - even if it has been posted then it’s no big deal. As long as they are not artists like The Beatles, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Mike Oldfield, Prince, David Bowie & the likes... 😁

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 1

@Dilettanteque keep your post coming. Let’s hope the OP and others will follow...

CA8F9584-88A9-4162-894C-4C107D209C9E.thumb.jpeg.240a1d54f4fc00ed71d8fea842c4a82f.jpeg

Rose City Band

Summerlong

By this time Ripley Johnson already revealed his involvement in the Rose City Band project. He plays all the instruments except drums. Essentially this is his solo album.

The sophomore album is sunny, less psychedelic and more country rock.

• Like 1

The Besnard Lakes  - A Coliseum Complex Museum  

The Besnard Lakes - A Coliseum Complex Museum (2016, CD) | Discogs

Crew labelled "shoegaze" - normally a good song or two on their releases.  New one coming  next week to see how the new memebrs are settling in.

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MoveD said:

yeah that’s probably already proved to hard for many. I would just take it as “album which I think no one has posted” - or “have never seen posted” - even if it has been posted then it’s no big deal. As long as they are not artists like The Beatles, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Mike Oldfield, Prince, David Bowie & the likes... 😁

I thought it was just relatively new bands 

So can be from any decade?

2 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

I thought it was just relatively new bands 

So can be from any decade?

I don’t see why not as long as not super popular or well known albums. However, this is not my thread and I don’t mean to take over and start making rules. Hopefully the OP will give you the anwer. 😁 @needlerunner

8 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

The Besnard Lakes  - A Coliseum Complex Museum  

The Besnard Lakes - A Coliseum Complex Museum (2016, CD) | Discogs

Crew labelled "shoegaze" - normally a good song or two on their releases.  New one coming  next week to see how the new memebrs are settling in.

I have The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horses on CD when it was released but I don’t listen to CD anymore and I have forgotten about them! Thanks for the heads up, will check them out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MoveD said:

I have The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horses on CD when it was released but I don’t listen to CD anymore and I have forgotten about them! Thanks for the heads up, will check them out.

I love Devastation on that album - all self important drama and 1970s prog pretence

Edited by Dilettanteque

Ball Park Music - Every Night The Same Dream

Ball Park Music - Every Night The Same Dream (2020, White, Vinyl) | Discogs

Fun pop psych release from a great energetic Brisbane band

Edited by Dilettanteque
6 hours ago, MoveD said:

Oops just realised this is an old thread which has gone very stale - even the OP has only made the one and only post!

It’s a shame no one else wants to keep this going. I totally agree with the OP the other spinning thread is very repetitive with the few old artists... oh well! 

Sorry MoveD.

Simply forgot about this forum.

Never saw a post, so thought people were not interested, and that it had gone by the wayside through lack of interest.

I now see that l had inadvertently un-followed myself? Or that l never followed myself in the first place. Lol. But in my defence l have never started a post before.

Now that l have worked it out, all following posts should be visible.

Well hears hoping!

👌 K

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

But a good thread to revive! 

So, from the above I am not sure what the citeria is for what plays in here.  I don't have the patience to search all threads to see if something has been posted somewhere.  And i am not sure if original intent was "post an artist that nobody has previouslky posted" or "post a release that has not been reported as playing in any other thread".

Thanks D.

Hopefylling im back in the game. Now that l am following myself.

No set criteria really. Didn't want to offend anybody. Me. I love coming across new (for me) unheard artists. Just wanted something new; as opposed to same old that we get adnousium.

Cheers.

Led Er Est ‎– Dust On Common - interesting 2017 German reissue of a 2009 album by a NYC band that I never heard of.  what does it sound like?   like 80's new wave with a bit of chunky synths - reminiscent of Krautrock, hence the German reissue maybe.    never a better spent $9 on amazon.

4Ie9feH.jpg

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Led Er Est ‎– Dust On Common - interesting 2017 German reissue of a 2009 album by a NYC band that I never heard of.  what does it sound like?   like 80's new wave with a bit of chunky synths - reminiscent of Krautrock, hence the German reissue maybe.    never a better spent $9 on amazon.

4Ie9feH.jpg

Will check that out MB.

Not heard of them.

If you like Krautrock. Check out a post punk band called Pink Turns Blue. They are really good. Will try and post some albums tomorrow.

Cheers. 👌 K

• Like 1
15 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Sorry MoveD.

Simply forgot about this forum.

Never saw a post, so thought people were not interested, and that it had gone by the wayside through lack of interest.

I now see that l had inadvertently un-followed myself? Or that l never followed myself in the first place. Lol. But in my defence l have never started a post before.

Now that l have worked it out, all following posts should be visible.

Well hears hoping!

👌 K

Welcome back! 😁

• Thanks 1

7698C0FC-C900-4A9A-BC5E-C01CD3AC2521.jpeg.389cee7c14c688a1413046e29430f034.jpeg

Gidge

New Light 

More from Sweden!

Gidge is Ludvig Stolterman and Jonathan Nilsson. They claim their music is influenced by the Nordic environment, particularly the woods. The music is often recorded in the forest of Umeå and uses a mixture of electronic and organic elements, such as wooden and stone percussion.

David Garber of Vice describes their music as "ethereal beats that will transport your mind, body and soul to a more peaceful place".

Also check out their debut Autumn Bells from 2014 which is equally gorgeous!

53036440-EAAD-4D39-9715-D88962CC7AC9.jpeg.549dc7d645a200e7eca68d7ab795efde.jpeg

• Like 2

Andrea Belfi ‎– Strata - 2019 - Andrea is an Italian drummer and percussionist. works this into abstract electronic beats and ambience - very good.   thanks to @Soundscape

d56Qskq.jpg

• Like 3

EB0F1ABC-ECDD-4A27-B443-70A586944EE1.jpeg.38060dea2699b27bcf8ff36443a33e0f.jpeg

Hiroshi Yoshimura

Green

Hiroshi Yoshimura was a Japanese musician and composer. He is considered a pioneer of ambient music in Japan. His music lies mostly in the minimalist genre of kankyō ongaku, or environment music—soft electronic melodies infused with the sounds of nature: babbling brooks, steady rain, and morning birds. 

So glad this was reissued last year. Eagerly waiting for my black vinyl. There’s also a green and clear version. Look how much it costs for the original on Discogs! -

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/596555?ev=rb

Edited by MoveD

Received this recently.

After an absence of several years. They are back. A very much anticipated album, from a great Aussie band. It's a beauty too.

Something For Kate: The Modern Medieval.

16116322706923199233032334117665.jpg

Edited by needlerunner

Promised l would post these Sunday. A mate came around and it was either the Pub or Post. The pub won out.

So, if you love Post Punk, you can't go wrong adding these 2 albums your collection. Stream and listen.

You wont be disappointed.

German band, Pink Turns Blue.

Albums are:

The AERDT Untold Stories

If Two Worlds Kiss

16116333816074588965258397186215.jpg

First heard this band in the 70s. Loved them from the get go. I guess a direct comparrison would be Black Sabbath? I love BS, but l thought this band were their equal. I acquired this box set a couple of years ago and l am still of that opinion. I had all their records back in the day. But stupidly got rid of then all when l converted CDs back in 1990...sigh.

Posting this because not sure if this band is recognised by a lot of people? Again, if you are into the Black Sabbath. This box set is worth adding to your collection.

From memory it was dirt cheap on Amazon.

Budgie: 

1611634164180751318168784465896.jpg

• Like 1