Sign in to follow this  
karthik

Speaker recommendations

Hi there, 

I am a newbie and am looking to set up a stereo system. I listen to prog rock, jazz and Indian classical (mostly vocals). I was thinking of going for a tube amp like the boyuu a10 or similar. I would prefer to buy a pair of floorstanders but I am not sure if the amp will be able to drive it. Can anyone please suggest a suitable pair of speakers for me. I don't mind buying used as long as they are good. 

What is your budget?

There are several very reputable and helpful audio dealers in Melbourne and I think you should identify a budget estimate, allow for some flexibility and visit at least some of them ( CAV, Tivoli Hifi  Hey Now and Audio trends ) come to mind.

When you choose equipment it should be based on actual experience via an audition with your own music.

Avoid trying to cherry pick gear you have not heard and which has no back up or reputation.

Don't fall into the trap of going by a particular topography either ( i.e. tubes or SS ) and take most ,if not all reviews, with a good dose of scepticism . The amplifier you referred to is really just another run-of-the-mill Chinese mass made amplifier and since you have no way of determining its quality or sound, I would give it a wide berth.

When you are auditioning ,give the sales person a rough idea of your budget, your musical tastes ,your room size and layout and what you would like to achieve and they will advise and work with you to get a result with which you are happy.

Also, keep a close eye on the classified listings on here, it is a huge buyer's market and there is some fantastic gear going for cheap.

Good luck with it all and don't worry or over analyse, just go with your instinct and have fun!

Edited by rantan

49 minutes ago, rantan said:

Don't fall into the trap of going by a particular topography either ( i.e. tubes or SS )

Completely agree. 
I’d go a bit further and recommend that you choose your speakers first and only then find an amp that will work well with them. 

Thank you for the suggestions to visit stores and audition. I will do that and hopefully will get a better idea of what to buy.

My budget is around 3 grand for the whole set-up including amp, speakers and a turntable. 

Good advice there from great members. I'd be taking that advice ;) 

Try Class A Audio. Kevin has new, demo and pre-owned speakers. Their price is good. I have purchased from him for a number of years.

Narrow down a budget and few  speakers brands  then go and audition in store ask them to pair with matching Amp. Then trust your ears. Buy the one which sounds  great. But take your time do but out of impulse.

Happy hunting

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 9:30 PM, SBM said:

But take your time do but out of impulse.

What madness is this?! Hahaha

Some great advice here.  I wish I'd had some like when starting out.

Good luck with your journey.

+ 1 for @SBM advice . Everyone's hearing is different and some highly rated hifi might not be your cup of tea - for instance, a friend and I have differing opinions on Klipsch!

$3k is also a great budget for your first system, so you'll get to listen to different types of systems (high resolution vs musical system, etc...) to figure out what sort of sound you need and like for your musical selection. Just be honest with the salesperson about what you like and dislike about different systems as well as the room their going into - a good salesperson will guide you to the right kit as they learn what you're looking for (I've had this experience at Carlton Audio Visual and it makes a huge difference to the purchasing process!)

Also remember to bring your own music in a format you use at home, and (if required) ensure you listen to it the way you are going to do so at home. I've been into shops in Melbourne that tried to make me use their own local hi-res 'audiophile' music to test systems, when I mostly listen to less-than-perfect older music on Spotify.

This is the fun part - good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)