As you get older..

Have you guys ever noticed that as you age you gather deep appreciation for music you once thought was a total joke?

Example this evening (spinning now in fact) - Malcolm McLaren, Duck Rock.

malcolm.jpg.cafbe7bbb4145c95cd67183075634f61.jpg

This particular record came out in 1983 and at the time (I was in highschool), I thought it was the biggest POS I had ever heard. I couldn't believe such junk could get published.

Now fast forward to 2020 and I just can't get enough of this stuff. Malcolm and Trevor Horn, what a match made in heaven.

Oh and don't even get me started on Malcolm's 1990 "Operaa House." Just awesome.

Has this happened to you chaps or am I just losing my marbles?

Edited by Guest

Yes, but more towards Jazz and Classical, mainly Jazz, never thought I'd be a listener of it yet I love it these days.

Some stuff I liked when young I now dislike with a passion, go figure.

• Like 2

Never thought this genre would find its way into the collection. But around age 50 I became a convert to the musical stylings of Mr Dizzee Rascal.

Speaking for myself, getting older has meant I have become much, much more receptive to a many more types of music.  Youth was like being a laser beam, tight knit and sharply focused. Age is that same laser beam, no longer sharp and narrow, with a great distance traveled it's now now widely spread.

The number of times I get an album from back in the 60's/70's/80's and say to myself, "How did I miss this at the time?", is beginning to mount up. I'm also much more open to taking chances on more recent stuff.

Have to say that there's been no real shift toward Country or the multifarious genres broadly called Rap, two branches of the musical tree that will never (it seems) find me carving my initials into their bark.

• Like 4

• Administrator
13 hours ago, deanB said:

Never thought this genre would find its way into the collection. But around age 50 I became a convert to the musical stylings of Mr Dizzee Rascal.

I respect everyone's appreciation of different music tastes, but if I ever hear this again it will be too soon! :)

• Haha 2

As I've got older, my musical tastes have certainly expanded to include many types of music I might not have considered in my youth. To be honest though, that has been an ongoing trend for quite a number of years. It seems that the more music I discover, the more I realise there is so much more still to be discovered.

I am a lot more open to Country music these days than I used to be, as I realise there are a lot of influences from other styles. Quite a few years ago I started listening to Irish and Scottish music, and something about that sort of music just seemed to connect with me. It then became apparent that this sort of music was a great influence on American Country music, through the various styles of Bluegrass music. It is that sort of connection that I find interesting.

If there is one general trend that I have noticed in my musical tastes over the years, its a growing leaning towards various styles of acoustic music.

However, there are some genres of music that just don't do it for me. Rap or Hip-hop tops the list in that regard, just can't abide it. Also a lot of electronic music just doesn't work for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marc said:

I respect everyone's appreciation of different music tastes, but if I ever hear this again it will be too soon! :)

Your comment made me have a listen to it, one more regret to add to my list xD

• Haha 1

Probably said this before (another old person sign)

but the only good thing about being old (and the long time it takes to get there) is how much more I like music and appreciate it more 

Everything else sucks about being old

Not that I’m silly enough to shadow box it????

My tastes in music haven’t changed and remains limited to rock and roll and country music also now known as Americana and to lesser extent soul music from the 60’s

Just wish I’d spent more time listening to black music over the decades

A lot of rock bands from the 70’s I listen to on compilations I make from New York or London or combination of both more than listening to individual records 

Thats a product of old age

I listen to a lot of country music because the subject matter religion and politics are threaded all the way through it over it’s 100  or so years years 

Throw in humour and (sly) references to sex and broken  ?s and crying into your beer sad songs and exceptional acoustic players and the best writers in music 

No aspect of life is untouched in country music

And of course some of it is so bad as to be laughable

But even that can be rescued by the sincerity of the singer having lived a life of drunkenness and cheating 

What’s not to like ??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keyse1 said:

What’s not to like ??

For me, just about the whole kit and kaboodle, since you ask.

I know that everybody has differing tastes, but six months of Nick Irby's Country Jamboree on regional radio in 1980 transformed my intrinsic dislike of Country into a life long loathing of the genre.

Just the sound of a pedal steel guitar can bring me out in hives.

2 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

For me, just about the whole kit and kaboodle, since you ask.

I know that everybody has differing tastes, but six months of Nick Irby's Country Jamboree on regional radio in 1980 transformed my intrinsic dislike of Country into a life long loathing of the genre.

Just the sound of a pedal steel guitar can bring me out in hives.

What specific musicians 

14 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

What specific musicians 

What? As played by Nick Irby? All of them, countless numbers of Australian and international performers, but I never remembered any names. All I can tell you is that that three hours of country music played every Sunday morning on Port Hedland radio was a three hour nightmare every time I couldn't avoid it. My employer had it playing in the workplace, so unless I took the day off (and lost the associated penalty rates) I couldn't escape it. Made my Sunday mornings into an endless torment of pain inducing mediocrity. At the time  those three hours seemed like three months.

6 hours ago, muon* said:

Your comment made me have a listen to it, one more regret to add to my list xD

It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't- Butthole Surfers

On 21/02/2020 at 10:35 PM, TDK said:

Have you guys ever noticed that as you age you gather deep appreciation for music you once thought was a total joke?

Example this evening (spinning now in fact) - Malcolm McLaren, Duck Rock.

malcolm.jpg.cafbe7bbb4145c95cd67183075634f61.jpg

This particular record came out in 1983 and at the time (I was in highschool), I thought it was the biggest POS I had ever heard. I couldn't believe such junk could get published.

Now fast forward to 2020 and I just can't get enough of this stuff. Malcolm and Trevor Horn, what a match made in heaven.

Oh and don't even get me started on Malcolm's 1990 "Operaa House." Just awesome.

Has this happened to you chaps or am I just losing my marbles?

Malcolm's Paris is well worth a listen, well recorded too!

https://www.discogs.com/Malcolm-McLaren-Paris/release/255687

The older I get the more intolerant I am towards the current young generation’s pop music and their singing styles. This includes a few praised to death so call talented singers such as Billie Eillish, Lorde, Birdy, Lana Del Rey, Adele, Beyoncé and the likes... For the last few months I could not avoid Tones And I singing Never Seen The Rain popping up the radio when I am driving and I can’t keep changing the stations fast enough... God awful...

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 1

Yeah, I find much of the louder music I listened to in my younger days..... I revelled in the energy of it...... Probably because I was full of energy and the music allowed me to be caught up in it and express it....

Now I'm older and don't have much spare energy for anything. I prefer more relaxed music so I'd rather not hear anything overly energetic. Other than that my tastes still include rock, country and pop though have in recent years extended to Jazz (absolutely love Dave Brubeck), soul, blues and even a little classical.

I've found I still like certain grunge rock though too. I find anything Chris Cornell did to be strangely soothing. He had such an interesting voice and chilled singing style. By any large though my musical tastes have extended wider, mostly exploring music recorded before I was born.

The other part of it may simply be that the sound system I used when younger was far less resolving so much of the detail and nuance I hear on these more recently acquired music tastes simply weren't audible back then. I believe though it was simply that I was young and full of energy, and so was drawn to energetic music.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1