SOLD: FS: Classic Gale 401A Chrome End speakers.

Item: Gale 401A Speakers

Item Condition: Excellent

Reason for selling: Raising funds for other projects

Price: SOLD

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash

Extra Info:

Pictures:

For sale is a set of classic Gale 401A chrome end speakers.

I purchased these in super rare original condition and restored them in accordance with the factory specifications.

At considerable expense I employed a well regarded speaker technician in Perth to replace the surrounds on all the drivers. The crossovers have new sealed attenuators so no more airborne corrosion, and some of the capacitors (caps) were replaced where required with audio quality high grade caps (to factory spec). I have the paperwork to substantiate the work was carried out on 24/02/2011.

As I mentioned these were in original condition and had been well looked after - nobody had tampered with them. The crossovers were also in excellent condition with what appears no issues of overloading them with under powered amplifiers!!

I am driving these effortlessly with my little 80wpc Accuphase amplifier.

I have attached plenty of pic's for a full disclosure, with more pic's to come.

The only thing I didn't do was have the caps re chromed, which I seriously considered but I have spent too much on them already. The chrome ends do not have any rust or dents. They do have some scratches and some of the chrome has peeled off the bottom edge. They still present very well.

Sound wise these are very open sounding, very detailed and resolute without any fatigue and with the famous Gale weighty mid-range. Bottom end is tight, controlled and plentiful. They are very lively and will play many styles of music very well.

These have been restored carefully and properly, and will give many years of service.

I'm selling these because I want the money for other projects. :)

Prefer local pickup due to the size and weight.

Cheers, flemo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30857[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30859[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30860[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30861[/ATTACH]pencil.png

Edited by flemo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brad, I have a few projects on the go at the moment and not sure what I'll end with at this stage.

Hi Wally, yes I have concluded the art of speaker building (and quality control in hi-fi) has receded over the years. The Gales really were a well built and designed speaker. The size and weight of the crossovers alone is quite impressive.

Cheers, flemo.

If anyone in Melbourne is keen on these, fell free to PM me and arrange a listen to mine.

Best of luck Pete, I can't believe you're leaving the club!

If anyone in Melbourne is keen on these, fell free to PM me and arrange a listen to mine.

Best of luck Pete, I can't believe you're leaving the club!

Thanks for your offer mate re the auditions.

Not actually leaving the club, I do have a few sets of Gale speakers!

Cheers, flemo.

Wow,

These have been an object of much desire since I first saw them at Instrol HiFi...

If I hadn't committed my life to the Infinitys then these would be mine.

Anybody want to buy some Yamaha Soavos????

Good luck with the sale mate, although I don't think you'll need it.

Cheers

M

Well come on you guys stop messing about and buy em! - these are great speakers - I will never sell my two pairs - just something right about them - whack a decent power amp and valve pre on em and they are world beaters.

Good luck with sale

Well come on you guys stop messing about and buy em! - these are great speakers - I will never sell my two pairs - just something right about them - whack a decent power amp and valve pre on em and they are world beaters.

Good luck with sale

Very true HB . I am so happy to have a pair of 401a's again and they seem to work a dream with the Supratek and lowly RB1080.

As folk say there is something just right about the way they reproduce music.

OK OK, I can't stand it any longer.

Flemo, if you're willing to pack them up and ship to SA at my expense, I'll take them. I still have Steve M's old Toshiba SS-30's in the "shed" and they could do with some more WA company.

Will PM you later tonight.

Cheers

Tony

Flemo, if you're willing to pack them up and ship to SA at my expense, I'll take them. I still have Steve M's old Toshiba SS-30's in the "shed" and they could do with some more WA company.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, flemo.

What a classic speaker!

I had these back in the day, not long after release and they were partnered with a Linn/ Quad 33/405 combination .

I should have bought these but I have too many speakers and no room for more unless I sell some.

Tony: You won't regret it mate, just make sure your amp has good current capability and you will enjoy one of the greatest speakers of all time.

Edited by rantan
typos

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys.:)

I have a shortlist of classic speakers that I've read about and lusted after for decades and these are very definitely on that list. I could only ignore them for so long.

Must chase up Bear and find out how he got on with his quest for original-looking stands.....

The amp question is another potential problem. Now I wish I had my old ME 850 back again. I've got several little Rotel 60wpc power amps, quite a few old integrateds and a TacT 150wpc digital amp. I suspect none of these will be right for the Gales - the TacT in particular could be a disaster - or it might surprise. It replaced a Musical Fidelity 150wpc A308 and was actually better IMO, but that was with very sensitive speakers. According to the specs, it delivers >50 amps per channel. That doesn't sound too shabby, but I don't know how meaningful current delivery specs are....

Rantan, any suggestions for the most cost-effective (ie cheap) amplification that would do these justice?

Cheers

Tony

PS Herringboy, the "shed" is not really all that sheddy. It's more like a big listening room and repository for assorted bits of vintage audio (or old junk, depending on your point of view). The Toshiba's are quite happy, though sadly underutilized ATM.

Edited by Tony M

Good buying Tony. These are on my list too but the timing was wrong for me.

As to amplification, the received wisdom is to use something that will double the output in watts as it goes from 8ohms to 4ohms to 2 ohms. That will be an indicator of current output. See if you have anything with those sort of specs.

Good luck finding the original floppy stands.

There are some B&W FS700 stands available on ebay for $350 BIN here and here. (you have the choice of silver or black).

BTW, Steve M has another pair of Toshiba SS-30s these days. ; )

Edited by Telecine

G'day Tony, and welcome to the club! I'm actually getting some stands made up to the original specs (except using 1" instead of 7/8). I reckon I'll get them powdercoated black (which was an original finish) rather than chromed though, simply to keep costs down. I think I still have the drawing with dimensions, will try to find it. Otherwise you can grab it from the Gale Google Group site. You just need a local metal workshop with a suitable pipe bender to make a pair up.

BTW don't fret about freight, the cabinets are as tough as (have seen one of mine fall from the makeshift stand onto a tiled floor:eek: and suffer no discernible damage, nor even miss a beat as it was in use at the time!)

Cheers

Tony

Nice work Tony. Congratulations! I'm envious too and will definitely be up for a listen to the Toshibas and the Gales when the time is right for all.

Rod.

B@gger, came in to late for these.:P

I've always wanted a pair of these speakers.

Well bought Tony.

Just in case you change your mind, unlikely I expect, I'm willing to buy these but I will be away all easter weekend.

Would be great to get in to work next week and find they are available..... :) :)

Edited by biologist