Louis Armstrong's sound system

Thanks Luc. That was wonderful.

It's hard to imagine anything cooler than an autumnal Louis Armstrong kicking back in his den, ripped to the eyeballs naturally, playing his favourite records and tapes.

Except maybe that kitchen. Oh my goodness! A custom built stove and cabinetry matching the finish on your car. That is style!

• Like 2

There is so much in this picture isn't there.

Now he died in 1971 so you'd imagine the gear is  basically 60's stuff. The amp does look like Marantz gold colour and lettering but is it? @proftournesol might be right with the phase linear idea.

The TT, do you notice that the platter has that oxidisation  denoting age and moisture(mine isn't the only one then...). The records up above, the boxed ones, World Record Club, Readers Digest possibly?

The cupboards below with the locks, his dope cabinets, booze or maybe his trumpets...lol.

The volume control above the R2R ?

@djb    Finally found the proper colour, the proper decor for the listening room DJB. Don't thank me, it was a pleasure. Only too happy to help an Ancient one, although you could ask yer mum for a couple of rabbits.

What colour is it you ask?

You use a white cane and your phone talks to you so colour isn't an issue ok. 99% of members here would acknowledge your good taste in decor...trust me and the new couch matches in so well.

Look at the sweet spot!  You could kick Andy to one side and you'd both be in it!

If it's good enough for Satchmo then I'm sure it's good enough for the Paris end of North Fitzroy

IMG-c1181a1fa3678d7c619cf092a27ec0fd-V.thumb.jpg.896938c7986e47251eacff0ba3e72014.jpg

image.thumb.png.74ce5ffe044e737e86d07cf0b4561798.png

Edited by Luc
typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Luc said:

image.thumb.png.20712cc8c59d956dda2929c2e54b6d65.png

What's with such a tall spindle?

We had a Pioneer system which had a stacking capability, allowing to stack up to ten ( I'm not 100% how many ) records, but I think it had another arm to help stabilise them.  It does look  similar with the notches and supports.

...  and I'm not saying it's a Pioneer, I have no idea what it is.

• Like 1

It's definitely a record-stacking/changing spindle.  Most turntables I've seen with these have the stabalising arm to hold them on the stacker.  Identifying the model of Dual turntable will verify if it belongs to the turntable or not.

• Like 1

The tape machine on the right is a Tandberg 64x

Four-track stereo / mono, 3 speeds: 7.5 inch/sec (19cm/sec) @ 30-20000 Hz, 3.75 inch/sec (9.5 cm/sec) @ 30-14000 Hz, 1.875 inch/sec (4.75 cm/sec) @ 50-7000 Hz.

The "X" in "64X" stood for "Cross Field Head." It was an extra head that fed a bias signal from behind the tape across to the opposite channel record head. The cross field head system is intended to give lower distortion during recording. It doesn't affect playback, so it has no effect when playing pre-recorded tapes or tapes recorded on another machine.

This hybrid set used 10 tubes, 8 transistors, and 2 selenium rectifiers.

tape_recorder_64x_1890127.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Marantz T7 preamp, from HiFi Engine , looks like a good match for Louis' pic, so can probably discount Phase Linear.   

MARANTZ%207T%207%20T%20PREAMP%20PREAMPLI

What! No valves? Ahh Louie, Louie we gotta go now.

Yes, I remember the Dymo labelling machine.  It was so revolutionary, "typeset" labels, so much more professional-looking than the handwritten or typewriter-written labels on paper stuck on with cellophane tape (that yellowed and became brittle with time).  The Dymo labels made things look so much more sophisticated.  My reaction to the Dymo labels on Louis' amp was how dated it looked.  We have come a long way since then. 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 1:30 PM, Luc said:

There is so much in this picture isn't there.

Now he died in 1971 so you'd imagine the gear is  basically 60's stuff. The amp does look like Marantz gold colour and lettering but is it? @proftournesol might be right with the phase linear idea.

The TT, do you notice that the platter has that oxidisation  denoting age and moisture(mine isn't the only one then...). The records up above, the boxed ones, World Record Club, Readers Digest possibly?

The cupboards below with the locks, his dope cabinets, booze or maybe his trumpets...lol.

The volume control above the R2R ?

The box sets look similar to a Concert Hall Record Club release... 

20200222_140519.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I wouldn't expect to see a boxed Metallica or Hendrix set on Armstrong's record shelf - he had enough trouble coping with bebop!

Records on his shelf:

Louis does have a Bix Beiderbecke box set (blue spine) - one of his main competitors in his early career. 

His own Swing Society ‎– Swingin' The Louis Armstrong Song Book is proudly on display - it's a Swedish release, in Stockholm 1970 (which gives an indication of the date of the photo).  It may be on display because it may not have been available in the US.

Another box (grey spine) has the artist's name ending in "~NG", which suggests that it is a Louis Armstrong (which also fits with the fragment of the letter cropped before the "~NG" being an "O").  The title is "Paris 19??" - I can't work out the date due to pixelisation, it looks like 1954 or 1934 (but that doesn't fit a quick google search of his titles).

The red box is Spirituals by Marian Anderson. 

The title of the dark blue box between the Anderson and Bix is titled "St. Louis Blues" - a standard jazz number, and I can't guess which artist's name ends in "~TH" who may have recorded it. 

At the extreme left, is a box with a light-blue and gold spine, with the letters ..."MINOR-ALBUM", or possibly ..."MINOR-ALBUM II" - not enough information to identify it.  There is an LP with a black spine near this box, but unfortunately the low resolution won't allow recognition of the catalogue number in bold white text.

Edited by audiofeline

• 2 weeks later...

There is an article on Armstrong's home here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/visit-pops-home

"He had multiple AR speakers, all of which, oddly, were mounted flush in the ceiling. And he went on tour with an Aiwa ¼" recorder, not only so he could make impromptu tapes of his own music but also because he was an inveterate copier of music from LP to tape. Most charming, he was also an obsessive decorator of the actual tape boxes, using newspaper clippings, magazine photos and anything else that came into his orbit. "

And on AK, someone reports that the Pickering XV-15 that was originally mounted on the Dual 1019 has probably been stolen, and a M97xE is not on it.  They also report that the turntable is in the 78rpm position with a 33rpm record on it.  Possibly due to the fact that people can walk up to it an fiddle with it.  https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/somebody-took-satchmos-cartridge.905454/

Edited by audiofeline

On 21/02/2020 at 2:56 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

What's with such a tall spindle?

We had a Pioneer system which had a stacking capability, allowing to stack up to ten ( I'm not 100% how many ) records, but I think it had another arm to help stabilise them.  It does look  similar with the notches and supports.

...  and I'm not saying it's a Pioneer, I have no idea what it is.

A comment on the AK thread indicates that the Dual 1019's changing spindle has three prongs to stabilize the records on the stack, and does not have the independent stabilizing arm that is found on many other auto-changing turntables.

• Like 1