What to do when a techniciain has had your equipment for over a year and continues making up excuses?

sorry if i posted in the wrong section

i am having a problem.

last january (2019) i had given a certain sydney technician (not naming names... he is banned from sna now, wasnt at the time) my recording studio power amp for repair of one channel.

i have called him roughly every two weeks to check progress, every time i call there is a different excuse of why he hasnt started/finished it.

i called again this week to be spoken to extremely rudely and then hung up on.

i am moving interstate for a bit in two weeks and this particular person does not respond to my emails.

what are my options? call the department of fair trading? call theh police? turn up there with a witness?

i am a nice person who has had some really bad luck with my hifi equipent over the papst 12 months. as many people would have read i was burgled and lost 90% of my expensive gear.

another thing i had mentioned to him as why i needed that amplifier back and still, i had constant promises of yes it will be done by the end of the week.

just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what you did do?

considering he didnt give me any sort of quote, i am abit scared to go off at him incase he decides to charge me a bucketload.

Terrible situation to be in, I know as has recently happened to me with a well known Eastern suburbs repairer is all I'll say.

Was only 6 months but took a concerted weekly effort and visits to the premises to finally get it back.

I rescued a few amps for a friend another time by using the same tactic, breathing down his neck and being PITA enough that it was easier to give them back and get me of his back!

So I would see if you can find someone who lives nearby and is willing to commit to pestering him into submission! ?

Advise the repairer by email you are authorising someone to collect on your behalf. 

Offer a good bottle of Scotch, I'd do it for less than that! ?

Edited by evil c

I had similar once in Melbourne you must get abrupt . Knock on his door ask to see it . If he can't produce it call the police have your deposit receipt handy if there is one . Do you have a big ugly mean son a ***** looking mate you can take with you for effect , I've played that part many a time it's great fun .  Don't threaten just intimidate.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, evil c said:

Terrible situation to be in, I know as has recently happened to me with a well known Eastern suburbs repairer is all I'll say.

Was only 6 months but took a concerted weekly effort and visits to the premises to finally get it back.

I rescued a few amps for a friend another time by using the same tactic, breathing down his neck and being PITA enough that it was easier to give them back and get me of his back!

So I would see if you can find someone who lives nearby and is willing to commit to pestering him into submission! ?

Advise the repairer by email you are authorising someone to collect on your behalf. 

Offer a good bottle of Scotch, I'd do it for less than that! ?

I told you not to use that ****head!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

I had similar once in Melbourne you must get abrupt . Knock on his door ask to see it . If he can't produce it call the police have your deposit receipt handy if there is one . Do you have a big ugly mean son a ***** looking mate you can take with you for effect , I've played that part many a time it's great fun .  Don't threaten just intimidate.  

im a 6'4" 100kg fit man, i just dont have an angry or agressive bone in my body.

i do have some mates that will let him have it (verbally) if it comes to that,

i was given no receipt, the only thing i have is messgaes on here from before he was banned

im sure a few people already know who i am talking about when i say south sydney technician.

i dont know why people like this work in jobs where they need to coominicate with the people. if you are moody or have some sort of mental health issues then get a job in a field where you dont have to deal with the public.

i work in sales, and nooo way would i still have my job if i spoke to customers the way i have been spoken to

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear of your situation, I have had a similar experience with ( whom I suspect is) the same tech, It was  just by chance as I had bought some gear from a NSW member and one piece of the set had been with him for quite some time. I think it took me six months to get the piece from him.  I suppose the daily phone calls finally got through. although he was in a rage for some of them.  Just tell him you dont want it fixed and he is to pack it up for you to pick up. In the end the unit was not fixed (which may have been  for a valid reason as the part was not available) and posted to me at no cost but the unnecessary delay in returning the unit was inexplicable and can only assume there are bigger issues behind the scenes. Dont give up keep pestering.

Edited by frednork

I've had similar experiences with a different tech. Unfortunately fair trading/police etc will not be interested.

You need to be extremely blunt but calm, just call him & tell him you are coming to collect the amp & give him 2 hours. Ignore any reasons & avoid any discussion he may try & give you why you can't/shouldn't & reiterate you'll be at his door to collect.

You may have to cut your losses & take back an unrepaired amp but that's certainly better than prolonging dealing with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Sorry to hear of your situation, I have had a similar experience with ( whom I suspect is) the same tech, It was  just by chance as I had bought some gear from a NSW member and one piece of the set had been with him for quite some time. I think it took me six months to get the piece from him.  I suppose the daily phone calls finally got through. although he was in a rage for some of them.  Just tell him you dont want it fixed and he is to pack it up for you to pick up. In the end the unit was not fixed (which may have been  for a valid reason as the part was not available) and posted to me at no cost but the unnecessary delay in returning the unit was inexplicable and can only assume there are bigger issues behind the scenes. Dont give up keep pestering.

Hmm. Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been in a similar situation. I don't understand how it happens. I mean, if the repairer does a bad repair job, he was probably just motivated by greed. But to keep it, do nothing, but charge you nothing. Are they hoarders??

You have 2 choices in my experience.

Pester like you have never pestered anyone before ever, so he realizes it's less grief to give it back to you.

I tried this. It didn't work before I ran out of patience.

I ran a warehouse where a couple of brothers worked as truck drivers, bikies, tatts, big and freakin scary (but they treated me with respect because I was their boss, sometimes hilarious to me, as a backhander from either of them would have knocked me out). I phoned him mid morning saying I was picking it up after work. The brothers and I turned up, and I was out of there within 10 mins with my power amp.

Remember, no threats, and do not initiate physical contact.

Nobody I ever met or heard of would ever have a go with either of those brothers. It works. And they were happy to help; maybe they thought of it as a good deed!

Anyway, do you know anybody who might fit the bill?

In my personal experience, forget police and fair trading. They can't or won't help.

I had a very similar experience with the already mentioned Melbourne Eastern based technician that shall remain nameless.

Extremely unprofessional keeping my amp for over a year complete with the excuses and eventually becoming uncontactable.

My solution was to turn up unannounced with my brother and politely (but firmly) informed him that I would like to take my amp back.

Luckily in this particular case he answered the door and I was able to retrieve my amplifier as I have heard of some people experiencing a similar situation though with him not answering the door either.

Even scarier I did once see a post from one of his friends stating that his wait times were going to be better as he had sold a lot of the unfixed amps so he now had more space.... ?

I also tried using a friend of his as an intermediary though in my case this didn't work.

If all else fails another solution may be to get a lawyer to write a letter.

I've heard this can be quite effective though it does come with an associated cost.

Best of luck with it @anewmission, I hope you get a good outcome.

Also you're (or anyone else) is welcome to PM me if they would more information that cannot be shared in an open forum.

Also I've been told that in the industry the name of the unnamed South Sydney technician actually stands for something apart from just its literal meaning.... :D 

How these guys get away with this dodgy unprofessional behavior is crazy, seems there is always at least one in any given capital city, sometimes more.

As others have said, inform him you will pick it us as is and go around and end the situation.

I only have equipment fixed once, but I can understand OP’s frustration.  

Out of interest, as a consumer, when OP handover the amp, isn’t there some paperwork that is signed documenting what was handover? I wonder if from now on, there should be some T&C saying you can take it back in XYZ time etc if not fixed.... so what actually protects us customers then?

Lost one Sansui SR-929 TT with a tech in South Melbourne...who had the TT for a year then went out of business never to be contacted again...grrrrr...

Finally had my Wharfedale E90's refurbished after 2 years wait...tech (North of Melbourne) tech had court issues and was sorry for the delay...I coped...

E90's sing beautifully now totally worth the wait..longer than an elephant gestation period...

Sansui AU-919 refurbished Interstate after a waiting period of not quiet an elephant's gestation period...tech had some medical issues...finally came good and so did the amp!

Still cranky over the SR-929 TT...

Edited by BLAH BLAH

11 hours ago, anewmission said:

sorry if i posted in the wrong section

i am having a problem.

last january (2019) i had given a certain sydney technician (not naming names... he is banned from sna now, wasnt at the time) my recording studio power amp for repair of one channel.

If it is who I think it is, I am in the same boat, has had my amp for 9months. It was only a spare amp I wanted fixed up but yeah not sure how he runs a business. I might just send someone around and pick it up, and write it off as a bad experience.

7 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Folks.

I'm curious as to why this person isn't named and outed on our forum???

I think it's pretty obvious who the tech is, Anthony, but there is always two sides to a story and not to doubt the OP here or others in any way, but he's not here to defend himself. I had this repairer, who remains anonymous, do a few repairs for me, all ME gear and although he was not the quickest to turn these around, the repairs were done well and in a reasonable time. This work for me was done over six years ago though and perhaps circumstances have changed for him.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I think it's pretty obvious who the tech is, Anthony, but there is always two sides to a story and not to doubt the OP here or others in any way, but he's not here to defend himself.

Agree 100% Keith.

I also have no doubt that the OP is genuine and being honest, however, as Keith has correctly pointed out, that person is not here to put his side of the case and as the old saying goes, there are three versions of an argument..... one for each protagonist and the actual truth.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I too have had a couple of bad experiences with this technician, the last of which being a clumsy job on a CD player - which he informed me he'd stuffed. Over a period of several months I had to badger him until finally he put some money on my bank. I remember questioning his moral ethics and that may have done the trick.

I underpriced the value of the CD player in order to get some money back, so of course I was out of pocket.

Prior to this I'd always thought of him as a nice enough bloke and we had some pleasant chats etc. Since I've known him he always had a ..... relaxed ........ work ethic, and he'd cited health reasons and financial stress as excuses in the past. 

But he doesn't like to face up to things. That's probably the main thing with him. 

Certainly you're entitled to go and pick up your amp. I'd inform him first that you're coming, give him a date and time. Tell him 'no hard feelings' so he doesn't feel pressured. He's a civil chap - and you sound the same, so proceed along those lines and put it down to a learning experience.

After all it's just a piece of hi-fi equipment - pretty trivial compared to health, love and contentment! 

Edited by was_a
  • Like 3

• Volunteer
5 minutes ago, rantan said:

Agree 100% Keith.

I also have no doubt that the OP is genuine and being honest, however, as Keith has correctly pointed out, that person is not here to put his side of the case and as the old saying goes, there are three versions of an argument..... one for each protagonist and the actual truth.

Agree, I think it's fine to give the OP some ideas as to how to proceed, but to go down the path of "name and shame" is really unnecessary 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Still cranky over the SR-929 TT

My god man, I would be too!

Damn!

Where these guys do nothing for a year is just ridiculous. if they can't service something in a reasonable time frame they should not take the work on until they can. If there are delays they should inform the customer promptly and keep them informed, the clients should not have to chase them up continuously.

• Like 1