Sign in to follow this  
MaxPlumage

CD via transport VS Tidal via Node 2i

Greetings

Why is it that the same track streamed from Tidal via an external DAC does not sound the same as it sounds when played via a good CD transport and CD despite Tidal HiFi being CD quality (44.1/16)?

I am told the CD + transport option is superior quality (less 'glare' - whatever that means) but tbh my ears prefer Tidal streaming as I feel it has more clarity - maybe I perceive it as such because of more sibilance.

Nonetheless, why do they differ in quality when they are both 1s and 0s going to the same external DAC and they are both 44.1KHz/16bit?

TLDR: why do CD transports sound different compared to streaming, quality and track being the same?

Thanks!

Do some searches on recent threads - there are plenty of opinions. Mine is that streamers and servers cannot yet match a dedicated CD transport for sound quality into a DAC.

I don't feel like going into the whys and wherefores again - for fear that I'll be bored by my own rhetoric...😑 

Then others will chime in and hit the 'bored' button... Oh, there isn't one? There should be!

Edited by was_a

While both are 44.1/16, the version on Tidal may not be the same version/mastering as the CD. So you need to check you are making an apples and apples comparison before considering other reasons for differences in sound. 

So many variables to consider.

All ones and zeros is a simplistic view many of us adopt at the beginning, only to realise it's far more complex.

1 hour ago, muon* said:

So many variables to consider

As @muon* says

So many variables.  Everything matters and the relative synergy and balance of all the components in your respective system can impact the outcome.  It is all part of the mystery to which there is no simple answer that fits all situations.

John

Not every CD transport sounds the same when connected to the same DAC and not every streamer sounds the same when connected to the same DAC. It's far more complicated that zeros and ones. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)