Rrobot

SOLD: FS: Sansui AU-X501 Integrated Amplifer

Item: Sansui AU-X501 Integrated Amplifer
Price: Sold
Item Condition: Good
Reason for selling: Funding new purchases
Payment Method: Pickup only - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I was recommended this model by a number of the incredibly helpful (and wise) Sansui gurus on SNA. I paired it with some usher s520 speakers which can be a bit clinical and are fairly inefficient - fantastic match - but it was equally happy driving some bigger Sony APM 3-ways. I’ve really loved the amp – heaps of power that belies the rated 80 watts and a very detailed, lively sound. It still seems to have some of that Sansui warmth, but more modern and transparent than the 1970s gear. Very nice phono stage with MM/MC switch. As prices of the earlier Sansui amps have gone through the roof in the past few years, this model appears a bit of a sleeper -  the smaller brother of the x701 and x901 which I think sold in Japan with the alpha prefix (Sansui nomenclature is not my strong suite though).

I haven't even had the lid off this one, because it all seems to work fine. I think it’s basically untouched under the hood. There’s no crackling I can recall with any of the buttons or knobs but given the age it probably could do with a deoxit. I’ve not checked the bias nor any of the capacitors to see if they’re in spec – again probably worth doing at some point for what’s now I guess a vintage amp. The main filter caps are Elna for Audio which should hint at decent quality components.

I’d conclude the condition is cosmetically pretty good for the age although certainly not mint – the black mirror painted aluminum face on these is hard to photograph as it just reflects everything, however the front is quite clean. I've tried to depict it as honestly as I can. Some of the black paint has worn in a thin line on the top edge that gets touched a lot – this seems like a common thing from other units I’ve seen on the web but I didn’t find it that noticeable and made no attempt to touch it up. The previous owner was kind enough to sand back and respray the lid with a satin black finish before handing  it to me and I think he’s done quite a decent job.

Finally this unit has some SNA provenance which I quite enjoy – I was browsing the site looking for other examples of the x501 and noticed that @Vortexjah had posted one for sale in 2013. Pretty sure I checked out his listing and the comments when I was considering buying mine. For some reason I was minded to cross-reference the serial number and bugger me if it isn’t the very same one! We worked out that it had gone from @Vortexjah in QLD to a guy in the NT, and then was purchased by a chap on a trip to the top end who brought back to Perth for a few years before he sold it to me about 18 months ago. It looks pretty much the same as it did 7 years ago! Be nice to keep it in the SNA community.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

1.thumb.jpg.f068832279a68f0f49f371e8dcf568c4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Rrobot

wow MM and MC with adjustment for MC. That is pretty glam for $220 bucks.

31 minutes ago, thejt said:

Cheers @thejt! Yes it's quite unusual to see the MC load adjustment as well. It's also ready for the future (or at least the future as it looked from 1989) with a Tape/DAT button. lol  😉 

4 minutes ago, Rrobot said:

Cheers @thejt! Yes it's quite unusual to see the MC load adjustment as well. It's also ready for the future (or at least the future as it looked from 1989) with a Tape/DAT button. lol  😉 

I'm struggling to not buy this if I'm honest!

i’m tempted to buy this to compare it to my 907 - amazing value amp at this price.  should sell in no time.

No brainer to pick this up at the price. Looks great! GLWTS :thumb:

2 hours ago, thejt said:

1 hour ago, thejt said:

I'm struggling to not buy this if I'm honest!

Buy it mate! we all know you want to.....

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

No brainer to pick this up at the price. Looks great! GLWTS :thumb:

1 hour ago, misternavi said:

i’m tempted to buy this to compare it to my 907 - amazing value amp at this price.  should sell in no time.

Thanks guys. 🙂 I'd really just like it to go to an SNA-er again. Wow, that's probably the ultimate of the Alphas @misternavi. Stunning looking amplifier, would sure love to hear the late model top flight suis one day. I did go looking in the motherland at one stage for the 100v  goodness but you sure need to pay a lot more than this to play. Would indeed be interesting to compare. 

Edited by Rrobot

If it wasn't in Perth, I'd honestly take it off your hands! GLWTS

"We workedout that it had gone from @Vortexjah in QLD "

Why don't you sell it back to QLD Rrobot ????

I think it belongs to QLD. 

2 hours ago, roshansubo said:

"We workedout that it had gone from @Vortexjah in QLD "

Why don't you sell it back to QLD Rrobot ????

I think it belongs to QLD. 

Sansui state of origin battle?! 😂😉

I used to sell these back in the early 90's. This was the sleeper of the series. Very under rated and a steal at $220!

Thanks everyone, now sold pending. 

Edited by Rrobot