NAD M51 Vs PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk II

Not sure if iF I should make the leap to the PWD for sale now in forum for 2k im currently loving the details from the Nad cant believe it but want more! and biased that I have a PWT transport so curious how better the Is2 will improve but will it that much of an improvement with the Nad punching way above it's weight.

So basically is it worth it?

Any thoughts or first hand experience? 

I haven't had experience with either of these products.

I don't quite understand your question, if you worded it particularly bad (Your spelling could use some work but hey this is me talking) or I'm particularly dense, are you looking to improve the sound of a cd player/transport with a seperate DAC?

I do have experience with NAD products and particularly love my C515BEE it sounds great, and it sounds by your admission that you love the sound of your NAD DAC, why change it if you love it already? especially for $2,000 

Guess I'm asking will it be an upgrade in spending the 2k on the PWD?

As it will connected to my PWT with the is2 connection and my schiit ragnorok amp?

And why I ponder is that I'll have a PS audio stack with a great connection? But is it 2k worth over the Nads performance.

Oh yes and am looking to improve sound detail from my ps audio transport with  separate Dac.

Edited by amisty

A few years ago, I purchased a PS Audio PWT.  It cost three times the NAD M51 which was another DAC I auditioned.  To me the PS audio was superior in terms of the outcome.  I later upgraded the PS Audio to the DS with new boards etc and went through various iterations of the OS.  It definitely became even better than the NAD after the upgrade.  I never used I2S

You could purchase the PS and after a while have it upgraded to the DS and use the latest OS whatever it is called.  That would be a good outcome that would also be cost effective.  I no longer have the PS Audio DAC.  I have moved up the DAC food chain.  At a point in time I was pleased with what I had.  I am more pleased now with what I have.  The law of diminishing returns always prevails though.

John

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amisty said:

Guess I'm asking will it be an upgrade in spending the 2k on the PWD?

As it will connected to my PWT with the is2 connection and my schiit ragnorok amp?

And why I ponder is that I'll have a PS audio stack with a great connection? But is it 2k worth over the Nads performance.

Oh yes and am looking to improve sound detail from my ps audio transport with  separate Dac.

Each of us have our own value proposition. What I or anyone think is value may or may not apply to you. At the end of the day, only you can decide whether it is worth it. 

The I2S connection is likely to be better than Spdif. Most other DACs do not offer I2S.

Which brings me to the question of whether you are willing to upgrade to any $2000 DAC (many good choices out there) or just to the PWD.

Have no doubt the upgrade will improve sound detail. Have heard the PSA DirectStream and heard other DACs that M51 owners have upgraded to.

These are two DACs with very different sound characteristics. The NAD is a details monster - especially in the lower treble, which is very forward and rather tiresome after a while. Ironically, the midrange is a little convoluted and artificial in character.

The PWD has a natural tonality yet still plenty of resolution, and is more dynamic. It is far superior. Better still at half the price is a Gieseler Klein III with PSU upgrade. Very dynamic, natural tonality, great resolution. 

I have to agree with a previous poster regarding your spelling and grammar. Most people on SNA put some effort into their posts; perhaps you could do the same?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldiver said:

These are two DACs with very different sound characteristics. The NAD is a details monster - especially in the lower treble, which is very forward and rather tiresome after a while. Ironically, the midrange is a little convoluted and artificial in character.

The PWD has a natural tonality yet still plenty of resolution, and is more dynamic. It is far superior. Better still at half the price is a Gieseler Klein III with PSU upgrade. Very dynamic, natural tonality, great resolution. 

I have to agree with a previous poster regarding your spelling and grammar. Most people on SNA put some effort into their posts; perhaps you could do the same?  

I do apologise I was rushing, on my phone before i was considering the leap and wanted some quick opinions.

Noted and will have more care in my next thread, thank you for all replies.