IEM upgrades, tips and wires

Anyone else looked at IEM custom tips or got a pair. Seeing I have a set of Sony m7 IEM which are decent but could use a nice fit so looking at getting some custom tips and wondering who others went through. 

Also thinking about upgrading my cables on my dailies to either a fiio Silver cables or a Alo but not sure about the worth of it. Who has upgraded their cables?

A friend got tips done for his Shure 425. Said it was night and day better.

Just go to an Audiologist, get your moulds (or 3D scan) and send to one of the many places that do custom tips. I think it would be worth it.

As far as cables. Aliexress has a bunch of good looking IEM ones, might be worth trying a $100 ali one before you go spending big locally.

3 hours ago, Bengineer said:

As far as cables. Aliexress has a bunch of good looking IEM ones, might be worth trying a $100 ali one before you go spending big locally.

Was looking at the fiio cables from addicted to audio, depending on material they are about $100-$150 so reasonably priced just not sure if they would be much better than what I have although the $150 one is Silver litz. Otherwise satin cables from Vietnam should be about $100.

• 1 month later...

Similarly have IER-M7,

I hear differences in cables in my two channel system and with my stax electrostats, but i got a upocc litz cable from geoff at aurealis for when i had focal clears and couldn't hear a difference. 

Really curious if iems would be any different. Source is kann cube.

Comply foam Comfort are my go to tips.  I avoid the wax guard though, as it can dull the sound.

Furutech cables are what I'm using with my JVC woods  (JVC ha-FW01). reasonably priced and made a difference for me.  I think the rule of thumb is to spend the realistic ratio of what the IEM's cost.

Black Dragon are well regarded but given the sony are flat measured, silver dragons might be the avenue.

https://complyfoam.com.au/

https://www.moon-audio.com/dragon-audio-cables/iem-earphone.html

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 7:30 AM, scuzzii said:

Comply foam Comfort are my go to tips.  I avoid the wax guard though, as it can dull the sound.

Furutech cables are what I'm using with my JVC woods  (JVC ha-FW01). reasonably priced and made a difference for me.  I think the rule of thumb is to spend the realistic ratio of what the IEM's cost.

Black Dragon are well regarded but given the sony are flat measured, silver dragons might be the avenue.

https://complyfoam.com.au/

https://www.moon-audio.com/dragon-audio-cables/iem-earphone.html

Upgraded to Sony IER Z1R cable for a bit and tips as had a pair of IER Z1R laying around.  The tips not much of a difference but they don't release as easily from my ear but still not perfect, the cable on the other hand made a huge different.  Got a spare cable from the official supplier and was only $120 and was about 4 time thicker and improves the quality no end.  With the M7 they have now gone back to their RRP price of about $900 so it would be a worthwhile upgrade.  Looks like A2A have raised most of their prices back to RRP on a lot of stuff.  

Also bought the Sony IER M9 and am now using that cable from them on the M7 and it works quite well and using the Z1R cable on the M9. 

In terms of the foam tips, they don't work for me because of my ears canal for some reason this is why im thinking custom tips like from Noise guard down south which can encompass most of the IEM so basically a CIEM result.  They are more expensive and BaySide Audio (i think thats what they called) can do some for $180 just for the tip I think so was wondering if worthwhile. 

On 18/04/2020 at 11:42 AM, Gabehcuod said:

I bought the M7 for $550 from minidisc lmao.
Can't believe it went up to $900 now.

That's it's normal RRP am amazed a2a kept it at their price for so long.

14 hours ago, Bengineer said:

It'll come back down once their "sale" is completed.

"Sale".

"SALE"

""""SALE""""

I don't think so this time, looking at it I would say most items will go back to their RRP now. Even the Sony MDR z1r is back at RRP at $2300 at most retailers not only at a2a. The only reason things were cheap in Australia was a2a started a price war, ATM I think they due to the current situation Australia will loss the price advantage we had for many years which is pretty sad for us customers.