UPDATE: Jazz & Classical Man Cave Vinyl Collection - Part 1 & 2

Watts Good visited David @ his Man Cave last week and in Parts 2 and 3 of this series, we get a personal tour of his fantastic jazz and classical vinyl.

Some really nice original Blue Note and Three Blind Mice jazz copies in here.

Part 2 first...

Part 3 on the weekend.

https://youtu.be/-tnJHzF1RyA

Could I ask you to also please leave one Like on YouTube itself, if possible?

I don't get paid for any of these vids and they take a *lot* of work, so your support is the most appreciated thing.   :thumb:

The link is above.

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

This morning we continue Part 2 of the visit with David in his Audiophile Dream Man Cave and take a further detailed look at his excellent Jazz, Swing and Classical vinyl collection, with some more beautiful Japanese & US originals.

https://youtu.be/HxLn1KyHKAs

Please leave a Like on YouTube, Subscribe there if you haven't, and hit the little Bell button next to your Subscription to be notified of every new video!

1679163001_DavidsManCave5youtubethumbjpg.jpg.1131c73edc492b744ee25e5224b5fa3b.jpg

30 minutes ago, t_mike said:

What is it with pinching of records when removing from the covers? If you're going to do that, put the white cotton gloves on.

Yes, I found that very strange.  I would never even think of doing that!

Andy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, I found that very strange.  I would never even think of doing that!

Andy

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

What is it with pinching of records when removing from the covers? If you're going to do that, put the white cotton gloves on.

What's your alternative?

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

What's your alternative?

I may be weird or whatever, but I usually slide the edge of the record onto the palm of my right hand, out of the sleeve, so that I can then support the record with the tips of RH fingers at the centre hole. Put the sleeve aside and then put the record onto the platter supporting it at the very edges with both hands. I could very well be the outlier and too OCD-ish here.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zippi said:

I may be weird or whatever, but I usually slide the edge of the record onto the palm of my right hand, out of the sleeve, so that I can then support the record with the tips of RH fingers at the centre hole. Put the sleeve aside and then put the record onto the platter supporting it at the very edges with both hands. I could very well be the outlier and too OCD-ish here.

Perfect for all those presses that allow it.

But I find so much vinyl that won't budge when I do that - and over time, I've just become very used to expecting resistance, and going the pinch.

:) 

I'm very careful - I touch the edges only, and as minimal amount as I can. Some records just demand it, I find.

At a record fair I'm able to simply do exactly what you describe, but with records worth $4-500 each like these, I preferred to go the safe route and not slide things about and potentially drop them through crappy handling.

Just me.

We're all different.

I've found this works and I don't stuff anyone's items up - but am always happy to do things better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candyflip said:

What's your alternative?

2 hours ago, zippi said:

^  ^  ^ - what the man sez!  :thumb:

Maybe all my friends are also OCD - but no-one I know would 'pinch' the LP, to extract it.

Andy

EDIT, but given CF's comments about many LPs being difficult to extract - so a 'pinch' is needed ... I would wear cotton gloves - white, of course!  :)

Edited by andyr
  • Like 2

I think one gets to a certain level of comfortability with your 'things' (and they are all just things, in the end).  ☠️

I slide records out at Record Fairs (and you'll see me do that, this weekend) because if I damage something, or drop it, I can pay for my mistake. That option is not always offered, apparent, or even accepted when you're in a friend's company, and yet the onus is perhaps even more on you to be careful and not cause any harm (if you value that relationship!). So I personally believe the pinch is a better strategy for that situation.   :)