Looking for a new high end Power Amp

Hi all.

Would love to hear your opinions on this audio quandary!

I have a DWQX Pre-Mate+ processor and Roon ready endpoint now acting as the heart of my system. My Moon 2015 340i (d2px) is functioning as the power amp in HT bypass mode. This amazing amp sounds incredible as a power amp but leaves me with a few issues. I can't use the balanced inputs without adding the 340i pre-amp and attenuation back into the mix as the HT bypass only has RCA connections.

I am looking at two power amps right now to replace the 340i but I am open to other suggestions also as long as they are slim and don't run uber hot as they must fit in a fairly enclosed TV unit, I will add pictures later on.

The Reigning Champ

Moon By Simaudio 340i (D2PX) 

https://simaudio.com/en/en/guides/340i-x-integrated-amplifier/

The Contenders....

2011 Moon by Simaudio 330a power amp

https://simaudio.com/en/en/guides/330a/

2016 Hegel H20 Power amp.

https://www.hegel.com/products/power/h20

The 330a is the older version before the current fat cheeked design, the website description seems to be the same as the NEO 330a and I cant find any documented differences between the two... same amp, new chassis/case? Would love to know....

The H20 is a bit of an unknown, other than that I like what I've heard briefly on current Hegel integrateds with the Sound Engine 2 circuitry in dealer showrooms. Anyone heard the dif side by side between Hegel older and newer products? The Hegel is also the absolute biggest I can go in terms of size and I may have to add additional ventilation to the cabinet depending on how hot it runs....

Look forward to your opinions and knowledge.

Thanks,

Brendon.

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Bee-Fizzle said:

I can't use the balanced inputs without adding the 340i pre-amp and attenuation back into the mix as the HT bypass only has RCA connections.

My (controversial) suggestion is: don't use balanced inputs.

IMHO there is no sonic benefit unless you are running extremely long interconnects in an electrically noisy environment.

If you love your current amp, keep it and simply use RCA inputs

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
  • Like 7

I agree with @sir sanders zingmore - I wouldn’t be potentially spending 1000s of $$ just to add XLR to the mix. I always use XLR when I can, but it’s not high up my list of features when considering gear.

Also, IF you were considering the dedicated power amp, despite my personal preference towards Hegel, I think the Moon would be a safer bet as you already know it’s sonic character.

• Like 2

Thanks both for your valid input @sir sanders zingmore and @Hydrology, but I definitely need to move the 340i on to a new home. Not mentioned in the OP but it also does not have 12v trigger in (only out) therefore increasing the likelihood of damaged speakers when my wife is using the system. I am having to take the amp out of protection mode every couple of days at the moment because the DEQX keeps getting switched off first, even I've done it a couple of times. Prevention, in this case, is definitely better than cure.  

14 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Cool and Interesting gadget, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately...

- the amp would be switched off completely when not in use

- it takes about 25 minutes to reach good operating temp from cool

- I feel like I would be wasting my ISOTEK power cables by putting that in the power chain

- my amp would stick out of the front of the cabinet with that behind it!!!

Sorry to shoot down another excellent suggestion.

B.

I seem to recall a power board device that switches boxes on and conversely off in a pre-determined sequence.  Brand may be "thoroughbred" or something like that.

[Not sure why switching a DEQX off first should send an amp into protection mode.  Should you investigate further?  Max output voltages can be set with internal jumpers on the DEQX motherboard if that is the issue.]

25 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I seem to recall a power board device that switches boxes on and conversely off in a pre-determined sequence.  Brand may be "thoroughbred" or something like that.

The thoroughbred is no longer made as the manufacturer said it was far too much work for a very small market. I have one myself and it does turn things on in sequence and off again, one second apart. It looks like this, but I've since gotten extra power points and have no use for it. The button on top turns it on or off and the front of it looks nice enough to put on display.

JUWeEcJ.jpg

27 minutes ago, aechmea said:

[Not sure why switching a DEQX off first should send an amp into protection mode.  Should you investigate further?  Max output voltages can be set with internal jumpers on the DEQX motherboard if that is the issue.]

Cool, thanks I've seen similar devices but everything has to have acceptable WAF, as it's not solely my listening space. 

I haven't opened the chassis up yet, perhaps that should be my next to to. Was purchased from another SNA'er with a very high reputation who says he never had any trouble with it.

I am talking to Alan Langford of DEQX as I am also getting a pop/thump from my speakers when switching inputs. He seems to think this may be a grounding issue. Perhaps there's something else at play here. I'll video it in action and post it.

8 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

The thoroughbred is no longer made as the manufacturer said it was far too much work for a very small market. I have one myself and it does turn things on in sequence and off again, one second apart. It looks like this, but I've since gotten extra power points and have no use for it. The button on top turns it on or off and the front of it looks nice enough to put on display.

OK, thanks for that Con.

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

JUWeEcJ.jpg

Ok, nice looking unit although it would be completely hidden from. View in my setup. Having said that it would fit under my cabinet nicely. How much are you looking for to sell?

24 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Nuprime evolution one monoblocks. Very cool running.

http://mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?productId=264625

Heard lots of good things about NuPrime but not looking to spend that kind of money. Perhaps up to $4500 max but ideally less. I would still like to get a sub to augment the system at some point too and use the DEQX to integrate it. So not having to put more money in on top of the sale $$$$ from the 340i would be preferable.

13 hours ago, Eagleeyes said:

I have a 200 watt semi class A first 60 watts Arragon power amp for sale for $1600 firm. could do what you want. 

Hey this looks really interesting. What are the dimensions please? If it will fit in my cabinet with room to breathe it might be worth discussing further.

3 minutes ago, Bee-Fizzle said:

Heard lots of good things about NuPrime but not looking to spend that kind of money. Perhaps up to $4500 max but ideally less. I would still like to get a sub to augment the system at some point too and use the DEQX to integrate it. So not having to put more money in on top of the sale $$$$ from the 340i would be preferable.

Okay, sorry I saw the Hegel H20 and thought that was about $10k. My next recommendation along the same lines would be the Bel Canto Ref500s amplifier.

https://www.classaaudio.com.au/power-amplifiers/981-bel-canto-ref500s-stereo-amplifier.html

12 minutes ago, Bee-Fizzle said:

Ok, nice looking unit although it would be completely hidden from. View in my setup. Having said that it would fit under my cabinet nicely. How much are you looking for to sell?

Hadn' t thought about it before but since it's not in use I guess I can sell it. It cost me $600 so maybe $300 plus postage since you're in Perth?

10 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Okay, sorry I saw the Hegel H20 and thought that was about $10k. My next recommendation along the same lines would be the Bel Canto Ref500s amplifier.

https://www.classaaudio.com.au/power-amplifiers/981-bel-canto-ref500s-stereo-amplifier.html

Hadn' t thought about it before but since it's not in use I guess I can sell it. It cost me $600 so maybe $300 plus postage since you're in Perth?

Hold that hought, I'll do some research and Potentially sell my Isotek Polaris and replace. I'll pm you. 

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
On 20/02/2020 at 4:15 PM, Bee-Fizzle said:

Hold that hought, I'll do some research and Potentially sell my Isotek Polaris and replace. I'll pm you. 

Cheers.

Isotek Polaris - pick me! Pick me 

On 20/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, Ittaku said:

JUWeEcJ.jpg

Yes, I can vouch for the Thoroughbred as I have one myself, works a treat, never faulted, not expensive and handsome to boot.

33 minutes ago, maximus said:

Yes, I can vouch for the Thoroughbred as I have one myself, works a treat, never faulted, not expensive and handsome to boot.

Unfortunately for the OP I decided to keep mine as I found a use for it.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Cruncher said:

In my AV set up I have a number of devices and I put in a Logitech Harmony universal remote. I controls the start up and shutdown order.

The Thoroughbred switch addresses a different problem.  If multiple devices on a power board are turned on at the same time, it can cause a surge, especially with amplifiers.  The Thoroughbred starts up and shuts down devices in sequence.  

The Harmony starts a device when it is on standby.