Sign in to follow this  
April Snow

Queensland Heat and Vinyl

Edited by The Blues

Hi April

As long as the temperature is not over 60 degrees Celsius,  not issues in storing vinyl.

Just keep them out of direct sunlight and keep them upright like you are doing, all will be fine. 

Cheers

7 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Hi April

As long as the temperature is not over 60 degrees Celsius,  not issues in storing vinyl.

Just keep them out of direct sunlight and keep them upright like you are doing, all will be fine. 

Cheers

Oh wow that high? That is interesting to know - thank you 🙂

On 19/02/2020 at 12:21 PM, blybo said:

QLD and northern Oz in general is humid and warm, it's not actually hot that often. Come south if you want to be worried about real heat. Many years ago I was in Noosa when they had 1 of their hottest days in living memory, or so they said, it was 39! We get hotter in Melbourne around 6-10 days every Summer.

YMLCcmo.png

i came across some crates of records in an old bricka-brack shop that is literally a tin shed with the back half on stilts extending out into SE Qld's Morton bay. I think it was $10 for 5, olden jazz and classical etc. albums from the 60's, covers a little worn and who knows how long they had been there. the items I got were in branded inner-sleeves so must have been loved at some point and they looked clean enough.

I figured they's be rough with an Amazon jungle's worth of mould and mildew growing in the grooves, plus salt hazing etc. so I didn't have high expectations 

they're all fine, so you can't be keeping them any worse than these were kept!

this one gets regular rotation :

Frank Chacksfield And His Orchestra* - Film Festival

R-2762708-1299931647.jpeg.jpg

Ok so here is another question for you ................regarding the "Plastic" outer sleeves (I use the Clear Blake ones not the bad PVC ones).

So do you have the opening of the protective outer sleeve open the same side as the LP Disc slides out or do you turn it around so the Clear protective sleeve faces upwards (Plastic sleeve opens to the top)?

I am thinking of turning my sleeves so the opening is to the top but I  wonder if in humidity that may increase "heat" and not allow things to breathe.......................

19 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Ok so here is another question for you ................regarding the "Plastic" outer sleeves (I use the Clear Blake ones not the bad PVC ones).

So do you have the opening of the protective outer sleeve open the same side as the LP Disc slides out or do you turn it around so the Clear protective sleeve faces upwards (Plastic sleeve opens to the top)?

I am thinking of turning my sleeves so the opening is to the top but I  wonder if in humidity that may increase "heat" and not allow things to breathe.......................

Opening at the top, record inside a sleeve which opens to the side (so no chance of said record sliding out). Record stored in a MOFI which is stored outside of the outer jacket, all inside the blake.

Opening to the top also prevents the blake from moving when I pull it in and out of the shelf.

It's the best way, take it from an INTJ.

Just now, TDK said:

Opening at the top, record inside a sleeve which opens to the side (so no chance of said record sliding out). Record stored in a MOFI which is stored outside of the outer jacket, all inside the blake.

Opening to the top also prevents the blake from moving when I pull it in and out of the shelf.

Cool, I think I will turn mine around too, although I do keep the Mofi sleeves inside the album jacket,

What is INTJ?

2 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Cool, I think I will turn mine around too, although I do keep the Mofi sleeves inside the album jacket,

What is INTJ?

Personality type, both a gift and an affliction.

The reason I don't keep my records inside the jacket, is because

a) I want to be able to remove them without needing to remove the outer sleeve from the blake

b) I don't want to touch my pristine outer sleeves.

c) Mofi's don't always easily go in/out of sleeves.

d) Coz it looks damned cool

Edited by TDK

8 hours ago, TDK said:

Wot is a 'blake'?  :o

Andy

2 minutes ago, TDK said:

Aah, thanks, TDK.  Never seen them called that before.  :thumb:

Me - I don't use them (as they take up space!).

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

Aah, thanks, TDK.  Never seen them called that before.  :thumb:

Me - I don't use them (as they take up space!).

Andy

Blake sleeves are actually super thin - they are the "feels like skin" version of a record sleeve :)

They protect your jackets, plus they act similar to a gloss photo or clear coat paint on a car - they actually make your jackets appear far more colour saturated. Also you can say forever goodbye to ringwear.

Ideally I'd be using the "flip" versions on every record coz it keeps them super safe from pretty much anything, even floods, however they are a PITA to use and there's many a horror story of sleeves being damaged by them.

1 hour ago, TDK said:

Thanks for posting that link - they are cheaper there than I am paying for the too 🙂

They are beautiful though, they make the crappiest looking Album Sleeve look like new - I love them. They are perfect for the 12 inch singles too.

1 hour ago, TDK said:

Blake sleeves are actually super thin - they are the "feels like skin" version of a record sleeve :)

They protect your jackets, plus they act similar to a gloss photo or clear coat paint on a car - they actually make your jackets appear far more colour saturated. Also you can say forever goodbye to ringwear.

Ideally I'd be using the "flip" versions on every record coz it keeps them super safe from pretty much anything, even floods, however they are a PITA to use and there's many a horror story of sleeves being damaged by them.

@TDK So true, Blake Sleeves look incredible and also make the sliding in and out easier and no rubbing. They really elevate the appearance & take up Zero room in the shelf.

. The "flip" versions - do you mean the resealable ones? I thought of those but I also read horror stories of them sticking to the covers and ripping off the artwork etc and they are just way to fussy to mess with. OK for shipping a LP off though I think in the post. 

I researched and found the Blakes are the best and of course the MOFI.

I brought also the "Blake Styled" outer sleeves from Discrepency Records - they are great for double and Gatefolds.

I do like myself the nice new shiny look and I only use these.

🙂

Edited by April Snow

Just now, April Snow said:

@TDK So true, Blake Sleeves look incredible and also make the sliding in and out easier and no rubbing. The really elevate the appearance & take up Zero room in the shelf.

. The "flip" versions - do you mean the resealable ones? I thought of those but I also read horror stories of them sticking to the covers and ripping off the artwork etc and they are just way to fussy to mess with. OK for shipping a LP off though I think in the post. 

I researched and found the Blakes are the best and of course the MOFI.

I brought also the "Blake Styled" outer sleeves from Discrepency Records - they are great for double and Gatefolds.

I do like myself the nice new shiny look and I only use these.

🙂

Yes, the resealable ones are the ones with the flap on the top with some adhesive. If you only take your records out once in a blue moon they are the way to go, but they are basically (in my view) disposable as they do get a bit manked up after they are used a few times.

Blake Sleeves probably aren't as tough and protective as the super thick ones that are slightly cloudy, but they are a lot thinner and look heaps better displaying your outer sleeves.

They are also super protective of your sleeves when you yank them in and out of your shelves. Prevents ring wear and all that.

Edited by TDK

1 minute ago, TDK said:

Yes, the resealable ones are the ones with the flap on the top with some adhesive. If you only take your records out once in a blue moon they are the way to go, but they are basically (in my view) disposable as they do get a bit manked up after they are used a few times.

Blake Sleeves probably aren't as tough and protective as the super thick ones that are slightly cloudy, but they are a lot thinner and look heaps better displaying your outer sleeves.

They are also super protective of your sleeves when you yank them in and out of your shelves. Prevents ring wear and all that.

I agree - the flap ones would drive me "cray cray" - only good if you want to archive maybe?

I think though the Blake sleeves are pretty strong, if you are not rough with them and I think they are not that expensive to replace if you do mess one up. I have only split one slightly so far - and that was my fault - my LP was fatter than I thought and I went in on an angle. 

Anyway, I think the appearance is worth the extra care too, they do look amazing eh 😍

Just now, April Snow said:

I agree - the flap ones would drive me "cray cray" - only good if you want to archive maybe?

I think though the Blake sleeves are pretty strong, if you are not rough with them and I think they are not that expensive to replace if you do mess one up. I have only split one slightly so far - and that was my fault - my LP was fatter than I thought and I went in on an angle. 

Anyway, I think the appearance is worth the extra care too, they do look amazing eh 😍

if you are super SUPER anally retentive they are the best, because you know without any shadow of a doubt that your records will be kept sealed as good as shrink. no dust, no moisture and no chance of the record ever accidentally falling out.

They are however, a pain in the ass.

What you can do if you want to get super retentive, is put the outer record sleeve in a "flip" Blake, then put that, plus the record (in a mofi) inside the very slightly larger regular open Blake.

That's the best you'll get and I gotta admit it's a tempting idea. 100% forever protection for your outer sleeve yet still easy access to the record :)

Vinyl nerds unite.

13 minutes ago, TDK said:

if you are super SUPER anally retentive they are the best, because you know without any shadow of a doubt that your records will be kept sealed as good as shrink. no dust, no moisture and no chance of the record ever accidentally falling out.

They are however, a pain in the ass.

What you can do if you want to get super retentive, is put the outer record sleeve in a "flip" Blake, then put that, plus the record (in a mofi) inside the very slightly larger regular open Blake.

That's the best you'll get and I gotta admit it's a tempting idea. 100% forever protection for your outer sleeve yet still easy access to the record :)

Vinyl nerds unite.

Yes, that would work great too, but I like my Vinyl inside the album sleeve (in a Mofi) as I feel it is more protected and put to bed nice and cosy that way 🤣. I am not keen on the idea of the vinyl tucked behind the  album sleeve in a Mofi  - although I know this is common practice for some who swear by it - also I like looking at the album art and sleeves too - so enjoy the whole experience of re-sleeving the album after play or reading lyrics during play. I also sometimes google lyrics if they are not included in LPs or CDs  - I like following along  - just something weird I do 🤣 (especially with new albums).

But my initial question was if I was to flip the opening of the blake to the top of the LP outer sleeve -would that make it more "hot" or likely to sweat/warp a record as it would be kind of more air tight? As it is, I have the Blakes open end the same side as the open end of the LP.

I am considering switching them around to face the top..............figure it might stop dust etc more from getting inside the sleeve.

The Mofi inside the sleeve though, that faces upwards so the record cannot slide out. 

My question was about the Blakes........

Edited by April Snow

4 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Yes, that would work great too, but I like my Vinyl inside the album sleeve (in a Mofi) as I feel it is more protected and put to bed nice and cosy that way 🤣. I am not keen on the idea of the vinyl tucked behind the  album sleeve in a Mofi  - although I know this is common practice for some who swear by it - also I like looking at the album art and sleeves too - so enjoy the whole experience of re-sleeving the album after play or reading lyrics during play. I also sometimes google lyrics if they are not included in LPs or CDs  - I like following along  - just something weird I do 🤣 (especially with new albums).

But my initial question was if I was to flip the opening of the black to the top of the LP outer sleeve -would that make it more "hot" or likely to sweat/warp a record as it would be kind of more air tight? As it is, I have the Blakes open end the same side as the open end of the LP.

I am considering switching them around to face the top..............figure it might stop dust etc more from getting inside the sleeve.

The Mofi inside the sleeve though, that faces upwards so the record cannot slide out. 

My question was about the Blakes........

As far as your original query no, it really makes no difference - we're talking about getting overly obsessive here :)

Better to have the opening at the top because that way they (the Blakes) don't move about sideways when you pull the records in/out of your storage (very annoying) - plus they will then face a different direction to your record - so there's less chance of the records rolling out.

Then again you can always put your mofi opening at a 90" angle to the opening of your sleeve so there's no chance the record will fall out anyway.

I still prefer the records outside the jackets, that way you never need to disturb your sleeves or introduce wear as you push records in/out of them.

Plus Mofi's often don't fit very well inside sleeves. They are ever so slightly oversized.

You're right though, you can't easily eyeball the rear artwork without removing the record.

You sound as obsessed as I am. Welcome to the sickness. I have 2,500 records stored this way and I keep enough blake's/mofi's on hand for at LEAST another 1000 records that I don't yet have - JUST IN CASE they go out of stock and I'm forced to use something else.  That would cause a mental meltdown of biblical proportions.

Edited by TDK

11 hours ago, TDK said:

Hahhaaha - just realised this is where I have been getting mine from too, only from their ebay store - recommend the seller, they are good - fast and well packed if anyone is interested 🙂

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

Hahhaaha - just realised this is where I have been getting mine from too, only from their ebay store - recommend the seller, they are good - fast and well packed if anyone is interested 🙂

Just bought some thanks April 😀

4 minutes ago, giddyup1 said:

Just bought some thanks April 😀

You will LOVE 😍