Queensland Heat and Vinyl

So being on the Gold Coast we are currently experiencing some rather hot days right now and my little townhouse is heating up when I am at work (and staying rather hot through the night too sadly) and I am hoping it won't warp my records.  I do not run the air conditioner most days because by the time I get home from work I just use the fans, so if I use Air Con. it is sometimes of a weekend. I have of course googled and have read different thoughts and experiences. I am keeping my records away from sun and stored in a Kallax upright and not too tightly packed together (the little blue boxes helping to hold them upright until the collection grows more) and also the  12" singles in a JB Hifi Record box upright - and trying not to have them "lean" too much. 

I am probably over thinking things as usual *sigh* - likely sleep deprivation on these hot nights - bring on winter !!

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It's actually a good thing.  I have found, that if the records are upright and not too "loose" in the rack, then warps are reduced by the hot weather.

OK maybe I will move some of them closer together to a slightly more tighter fit, I have just got things separated at the moment (other artists/Prince/Madonna/ DJ mixes) for access - but maybe during this spell I might put them together until things cool off.

I keep telling myself that people in far hotter places have bigger collections and the records survive - let alone the fact that they also survive delivery via Australia Post in the vans and bikes.................

From what I have read the worst thing is variation in temps. 

At least right now it is consistently warm here I guess.

I guess once  get past my first summer I will be able to relax a little.

?

36 minutes ago, April Snow said:

OK maybe I will move some of them closer together to a slightly more tighter fit, I have just got things separated at the moment (other artists/Prince/Madonna/ DJ mixes) for access - but maybe during this spell I might put them together until things cool off.

I keep telling myself that people in far hotter places have bigger collections and the records survive - let alone the fact that they also survive delivery via Australia Post in the vans and bikes.................

From what I have read the worst thing is variation in temps. 

At least right now it is consistently warm here I guess.

I guess once  get past my first summer I will be able to relax a little.

?

and you are only at the Gold Coast.  Try living in Cairns, or Darwin !!     

14 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Get a bigger/better airconditioner. They one you have downstairs is woefull!

@Pegasus Wow that is a little rude !! ?

Does not change the fact that one does not run an air con 24/7 as that is not economically viable.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and you are only at the Gold Coast.  Try living in Cairns, or Darwin !!     

Are you from further up North? So how do you cope? Do you have the air on 24/7? I wondered how people cope further up from me.

This is my first summer with Vinyl so will be glad when it passes and I can start to relax ............

7 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Are you from further up North? So how do you cope? Do you have the air on 24/7? I wondered how people cope further up from me.

This is my first summer with Vinyl so will be glad when it passes and I can start to relax ............

I have lived up North.   In places like Cairns, the cost of air-con is just part of life.   You go for walks early in the morning or late afternoon only.

The upside is Winter up there is heaven on earth

• Like 2

Relax! Your records are well housed and will be fine (even if you decide not to run air con at all).

I'd be surprised if your house is getting hotter than low-30s. As a point of reference the vinyl flat machines instruct baking records in the low-50s to remove warps.

It would take pretty terrible conditions to reach those temperatures - direct sunlight, back of a car, uninsulated roof cavity - and even then if they are stacked tightly and vertically there's a good chance they'd be okay. As aussievintage mentioned above, you might it might even flatten a few warps. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Relax! Your records are well housed and will be fine (even if you decide not to run air con at all).

I'd be surprised if your house is getting hotter than low-30s. As a point of reference the vinyl flat machines instruct baking records in the low-50s to remove warps.

It would take pretty terrible conditions to reach those temperatures - direct sunlight, back of a car, uninsulated roof cavity - and even then if they are stacked tightly and vertically there's a good chance they'd be okay. As aussievintage mentioned above, you might it might even flatten a few warps. 

Ok thank you - just stressing out about it - lack of sleep and all that ..................thanks for your input. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

You are storing your records well and I don't think you will run into any trouble.  They may be getting warm, but it's an even warmth and they are not on an angle or flat. 

Records will tend to warp with high uneven heat, eg. a record lying flat in the sun will get more hot temperature on one side while the other side will be cooler.  The top/hot side will expand, and as the lower/cooler side won't expand at the same rate the extra uneven expansion will result in a displacement of the previously flat shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

In a closed house in Queensland, you might get to 40 degrees or so when it's high 30s outside.  Yep not a problem.

Except if you have those plastic sleeves that outgas and mist the vinyl.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

You are storing your records well and I don't think you will run into any trouble.  They may be getting warm, but it's an even warmth and they are not on an angle or flat. 

Records will tend to warp with high uneven heat, eg. a record lying flat in the sun will get more hot temperature on one side while the other side will be cooler.  The top/hot side will expand, and as the lower/cooler side won't expand at the same rate the extra uneven expansion will result in a displacement of the previously flat shape. 

Ok thank you, I did read also that it is fluctuations in temps that are a real issue (sudden drops etc) and something I never thought of, some people overseas have problems with the freezing cold and posties leaving their records by the door!

Thank goodness I get mine delivered to my work and my postie told me today that I am first off the rank for deliveries and my parcels are only a few minutes in the satchel bag. He spoils me - brings them right up to the office door ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

In a closed house in Queensland, you might get to 40 degrees or so when it's high 30s outside.  Yep not a problem.

Except if you have those plastic sleeves that outgas and mist the vinyl.

Ok - looks like I may be OK then, I use the Mofi Inner Sleeves and the Blake Outer sleeves - 

I throw away all the others.

Actually - you know those curved ones that come with vinyl? Make great little bin liners !! LOL

Edited by April Snow

QLD and northern Oz in general is humid and warm, it's not actually hot that often. Come south if you want to be worried about real heat. Many years ago I was in Noosa when they had 1 of their hottest days in living memory, or so they said, it was 39! We get hotter in Melbourne around 6-10 days every Summer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blybo said:

QLD and northern Oz in general is humid and warm, it's not actually hot that often. Come south if you want to be worried about real heat. Many years ago I was in Noosa when they had 1 of their hottest days in living memory, or so they said, it was 39! We get hotter in Melbourne around 6-10 days every Summer.

So true, I am originally from Tassie and we had some corker summer days too - the heat is hot and dry (like Melbourne) and you can fry an egg on the pavement - maybe that sort of heat is more of a concern than the humid type. I am lucky that mildew is never an issue in my home with humidity, that would be a nightmare for some I imagine. I hope this thread helps out another newbie in the future too ?

6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I lived in Darwin for a few years with vinyl, and never concerned myself with temperature while there. Had no troubles, you'll be fine

@Grizzly  Wow imagine that a GRIZZLY living in Darwin - how did you cope with the fur on?????

Thanks for the input ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

@Grizzly  Wow imagine that a GRIZZLY living in Darwin - how did you cope with the fur on?????

Thanks for the input ?

Regular shaves, though it did perplex the locals. And those guys are used to all kinds of peculiar types.....

• Like 1

G’day @April Snow

As you know I lived on Mount Tamborine before moving way out west, NSW.  You may not know I lived in a fitted out shed on my boss’s property, where they lived while building the house.  While it was fitted with a bathroom, there was no insulation at all, just colourbond aluminium, and no air conditioning.

It would easily reach high 40’s inside, on a hot day.  Thankfully we had a pool.

I was concerned for my records at first, and decided the best I could do was leave them stored at floor level, the coolest place I could find.

I never had any problems with heat, or mould / mildew / dampness. 

My my biggest problem with the shed was being unable to hear anything if it was raining heavily enough on the tin roof.  On many occasions I would be listening or watching Videos with headphones.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G’day @April Snow

As you know I lived on Mount Tamborine before moving way out west, NSW.  You may not know I lived in a fitted out shed on my boss’s property, where they lived while building the house.  While it was fitted with a bathroom, there was no insulation at all, just colourbond aluminium, and no air conditioning.

It would easily reach high 40’s inside, on a hot day.  Thankfully we had a pool.

I was concerned for my records at first, and decided the best I could do was leave them stored at floor level, the coolest place I could find.

I never had any problems with heat, or mould / mildew / dampness. 

My my biggest problem with the shed was being unable to hear anything if it was raining heavily enough on the tin roof.  On many occasions I would be listening or watching Videos with headphones.

Oh wow that is good to know - I cannot imagine trying to sleep and live in a shed of  high 40 degrees !! I hope that you did not have to suffer that for too long.

Sounds like my worrying is unfounded as my townhouse would not get that high - I am two storey and the records are downstairs at ground level (Kallax on a concrete and tiled floor). I guess I should get a thermometer and see what the actual temp is when the house is shut up.

I can only imagine the racket on the roof when it rains - my old house used to be tin roof (loved it) but a shed would be like a freight train coming when it rained. Glad you have found somewhere more comfortable so you can enjoy your "Italian Leather Recliner" (yes I do read signatures) ?

• Like 1

Really appreciate seeing this thread chaps. I have a rather large collection nowadays, and it's all upstairs in a 2 story house. 

As those of you with two-story houses know, it's gets MUCH hotter upstairs than downstairs - so any day over 30 degrees I've basically be running the A/C all day long.

Glad to hear those with sheds that get up to 40 degrees haven't suffered any damage, but I just don't know if I'm ready to tempt fate and try.

Maybe I'll wait for the next seriously hot spell and will put a record in my shed for a few days to see what happens.  I'm sure I've got a few crappy old Andy Williams records somewhere I don't mind trying to turn into gel.

Edited by Guest

You'll be fine ?

Its good to be aware of these things though and try to keep your physical music in great shape. If done well records and tapes will last a lifetime. 

Who really knows how long they will last. 

I've got records from the late 40's and tapes from the late 50's that are still going strong. 

Don't leave records in the car though ?

The first record I bought when I was a whipper-snapper was left in Dad's car for a few of hours in summer. 

Ruined?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDK said:

Really appreciate seeing this thread chaps. I have a rather large collection nowadays, and it's all upstairs in a 2 story house. 

As those of you with two-story houses know, it's gets MUCH hotter upstairs than downstairs - so any day over 30 degrees I've basically be running the A/C all day long.

Glad to hear those with sheds that get up to 40 degrees haven't suffered any damage, but I just don't know if I'm ready to tempt fate and try.

Maybe I'll wait for the next seriously hot spell and will put a record in my shed for a few days to see what happens.  I'm sure I've got a few crappy old Andy Williams records somewhere I don't mind trying to turn into gel.

@TDK Yes I am in a two storey as well - but my records are downstairs in the living area on a concrete based tiled floor - but it sure does get boiling hot upstairs which is why I am sleep deprived right now.

Anyway, based on a previous thoughts by @aussievintage I have moved my records into two of the "pigeon holes" so they are more upright that way and little closer together - so hopefully all will be OK.

I can't wait for this little hot spell to be over..................in more ways than one.

Funny how in such a short time I have become so attached to these black discs !! 

IMG_3670.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1