Oppo 95 owners, please help!

Questions simply put are: does OPPO 95 support 1). Multichannel DSD playback via front USB and 2). volume control in DSD output mode?

I’m putting up a multichannel audio system. As I don’t have any AV receivers I had intended to use my Oppo 103 as the source and dac, feeding a multichannel power amp. However, Oppo 103 doesn’t support volume control in DSD mode, which means I have to choose the output mode into PCM or I have to buy a multichannel preamp...

I’m looking for an Oppo 105 at the moment (better DAC and supports volume control in DSD mode) and one 95 came for sale. I think I may take the 95 if it can do the job well...

Thank you!

Yeah from what learnt online, they use the same dac and the stacked arrangement in 95 makes it sound better in stereo. However, not sure if 95 supports multichannel DSD via USB and volume control in DSD mode. If not, I’d stick with my 103 for the time being and wait for a 105 to come up...

On 18/02/2020 at 11:45 PM, mjledme said:

Questions simply put are: does OPPO 95 support 1). Multichannel DSD playback via front USB and 2). volume control in DSD output mode?

I’m putting up a multichannel audio system. As I don’t have any AV receivers I had intended to use my Oppo 103 as the source and dac, feeding a multichannel power amp. However, Oppo 103 doesn’t support volume control in DSD mode, which means I have to choose the output mode into PCM or I have to buy a multichannel preamp...

I’m looking for an Oppo 105 at the moment (better DAC and supports volume control in DSD mode) and one 95 came for sale. I think I may take the 95 if it can do the job well...

Thank you!

Another thing you may wish to consider is the fact that the Oppo 95 has a fan whilst the 105 doesn't.

On 18/02/2020 at 11:45 PM, mjledme said:

Thank you!

Once owned a 95 mjledme and it wasn't that comprehensive with codec playback as was the 103/5 . Heres the 93/95 faq from an oppo beta tester B Mclain ; DSD is disc only unless converted to flac pretty sure ..

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-93_Media_Files_FAQ

Edited by cwt

13 hours ago, cwt said:

Once owned a 95 mjledme and it wasn't that comprehensive with codec playback as was the 103/5 . Heres the 93/95 faq from an oppo beta tester B Mclain ; DSD is disc only unless converted to flac pretty sure ..

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-93_Media_Files_FAQ

Thanks. That’s strange coz 95 had the same dac chip as 105 and should play DSD natively via USB. Guess oppo didn’t allow that function via firmware upgrade to encourage ppl to upgrade lol

3 hours ago, mjledme said:

Thanks. That’s strange coz 95 had the same dac chip as 105 and should play DSD natively via USB. Guess oppo didn’t allow that function via firmware upgrade to encourage ppl to upgrade lol

Easily be so mjledme ; maybe something to do with the simplified circuitry with the rearranged sabre dacs . Or the volume control being duplicated within the stacked dacs ? It was one of the things planned for the 83 etc [basic file playback] but oppo had to rush the 93/95 to market for its 3d capability iirc