NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Have you tried playing with the curtains within Dirac so you aren’t equalizing the whole spectrum? Pulling it back down towards the lower frequencies opens up the top end but keeps some of the tightness and separation you like. That’s what I’ve found in my system anyway.

My curtain is usually at about 160hz

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!   Although I am pretty speechless right now I needed to get it off my chest while it was still raw with emotion!   For about 2 weeks I have been reasonably co

Thought I'll Update........I am over the moon with the NAD.....Been Listening to it for last couple of hours and It has opened up a fair bit after roughly 200 odd hours of listening......Just Listenin

Well I received my C658 yesterday and connected last night. Have settled into some reasonably critical listening today and overall I'm really happy with the purchase.   I was hoping for a so

Posted Images

Guys ,

Spotify stopped working for me today for some reason. Is it only me or something is wrong with the Bluesound software ?. Tidal works fine.

Cheers ,

18 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Guys ,

Spotify stopped working for me today for some reason. Is it only me or something is wrong with the Bluesound software ?. Tidal works fine.

Cheers ,

Spotify Connect working OK for me Gill.

2 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Spotify Connect working OK for me Gill.

Thanks Mate ,

Yes Mine started working again today. Must be a glitch or something....

50 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Thanks Mate ,

Yes Mine started working again today. Must be a glitch or something....

Bit OT but how’s the new amp? Made the C658 even better?

4 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Its Amazing Dean ,

Listening to it right now.....

15955820859514162253581071895123.jpg

6 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I am waiting for a new Mic as mine is buggered So will have to do Sub and Speaker Volume matching again but I think I have it spot on already. There is just more openness in the top end with ASR.....infact loving the sound......best match with my Tributes so far.....Have ordered Bills Silver cable and think It will further make a positive difference....

31 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Its Amazing Dean ,

Listening to it right now.....

15955820859514162253581071895123.jpg

You have come a long way since this! 😁 

image.png.081f2d474f5f0beb294b403a26f031a3.png

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

That's an understatement Snoop.....It a bug We all catch and there is no way It will ever go away I know.....

14 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

14 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

That's an understatement Snoop.....It a bug We all catch and there is no way It will ever go away I know.....Ill Cheers to that Mate..

15955850617718495930132320121274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Can anyone help me with a question regarding the C 658 and using it with a turntable?

If I had my turntable connected and playing a record, would I be able to use Bluetooth speakers in other rooms in my home to hear the turntable audio? Would it sound good?

Does anyone have any experience of a setup like this?

Thanks

Jamie

17 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

If I had my turntable connected and playing a record, would I be able to use Bluetooth speakers in other rooms in my home to hear the turntable audio? Would it sound good?

I would imagine that would work, however Bluetooth range is rather limited and badly effected by obstructions such as walls etc.  Also you can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time.

It would sound ok as long as the connection between the devices was good and the latest Bluetooth protocol (AptX HD) is supported by your speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the hive mind can help with some basic questions about the C658. 

Background - I have been really happy with listening and using for about 6 weeks - especially with MQA, as far as I can tell all apps being used are up to date software versions (NAD, BlueOS, Tidal, DiracLive.)  Only one physical audio input to the C658 being optical digital from the TV.  Pre-amp NAD out to a power amp.  The only other input is Wifi via computer (Vgood connection and no dropouts.)

The questions:

1.  My NAD will not stay turned off for more than a minute or so before powering up again (TV off, whether the power amp is turned on or not), which means that...

2. I can't use the 12v trigger from NAD to turn on the power amp. 

3. And my NAD always powers up in "Line 1" even though I don't end on that input or have any physical "Line 1" input - and have in fact blocked the "Line 1" input from selectable inputs.

Have looked and read through everything I can find several/many times but happy to be shown where to go!!

Cheers R

19 minutes ago, Robertaka said:

The questions:

1.  My NAD will not stay turned off for more than a minute or so before powering up again (TV off, whether the power amp is turned on or not), which means that..

:welcome:to the forum...

I recall from another thread that some TVs keep their optical output on regardless of whether the TV is on or off. I suspect the only way around this is to power off the C658 at the mains?

Yep - first post! - thanks Snoopy8!  Been gathering heaps of knowledge for a while...

Had considered the optical out possibility and thought "why the     would the optical stay on from a tv that was off???"  Still learning.  Possibly a mains power off for the tv... Have to see if there is a different digital out from tv that works with the nad.

10 minutes ago, Robertaka said:

Had considered the optical out possibility and thought "why the     would the optical stay on from a tv that was off???"  Still learning.  Possibly a mains power off for the tv... Have to see if there is a different digital out from tv that works with the nad.

The why?  Lazy design, cost cutting???  Is your TV a Sony by any chance?  

Something else to try.  Switch your input from optical to something else on the C658 and check whether it is still being triggered by TV. 

7 hours ago, Robertaka said:

Yep - first post! - thanks Snoopy8!  Been gathering heaps of knowledge for a while...

Welcome mate, as you may know already you can turn off auto sensing via the ports which I think should overcome your problem with the unit turning on by itself?

13 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Welcome mate, as you may know already you can turn off auto sensing via the ports which I think should overcome your problem with the unit turning on by itself?

Thanks heaps - fixed.  Auto sensing function only available via front panel menu it seems.  Weeks of fiddling around sorted in a few seconds scrolling that menu!  I thought it was available somewhere but was going via BluOS.  cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else notice the recent BluOS update (mine updated last Friday) and the DAC sound improvement? It already sounded great but it seems quite an improvement to my ears when streaming Tidal. 

Just in case I was going mad, I looked up the latest BluOS update and sure enough DAC tuning was part of the upgrade. Yay! 

I’ve basically pulled my system apart, renovated the room and put it back together, updated bluos, ran Dirac again and I must say that the small amount of top end harshness I was experiencing has gone. Maybe the DAC tuning has done this, but whatever it is it’s definitely sounding better than I remember.

Probably for the first time since I’ve had the Nad I had that feeling you get when you turn up the volume and it just sounds fuller, not louder.

I’ve been humming and hawing about this unit since it came out. This week I was able to put a second T/7i into my system, so I think now is the time to invest in a suitable streaming option and Dirac Live. 

System is split pretty even between music and movies so HT integration is a must. 

I could add a Node 2i and something from miniDSP, but my MF M6i doesn’t have trigger in and would have to have it’s inputs manual switched. As well, it’s volume is adjusted by our Harmony remote when movie watching. Often at the end of the night it’ll be at half. Not an issue right now because we’re only using its HT bypass, but with the Node in the mix I can foresee some blown speakers happening!

Or I could sell my MF M6i and get the NAD and use an Exposure power amp or an old Elektra multi channel amp I have. The Exposure doesn’t have trigger in so am leaning towards the Elektra in this scenario. 

Thing is, I’m confident the preamp of the NAD isn’t as good as the M6i. Though if we only use it for streaming Spotify / Tidal, is its preamp performance irrelevant?

Really not sure which way to go!

Picture for attention. 

220A0565-3AFD-4D7D-B05C-44C32310C7C5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Wood said:

Thing is, I’m confident the preamp of the NAD isn’t as good as the M6i. Though if we only use it for streaming Spotify / Tidal, is its preamp performance irrelevant?

If you are confident, not sure why you are posting in this thread ?  A preamp does play a role  in the sound signature of a system, regardless of source..

If you want to introduce Dirac Live into your current setup, suggest the MiniDSP SHD Studio,

17 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If you are confident, not sure why you are posting in this thread ?  A preamp does play a role  in the sound signature of a system, regardless of source..

If you want to introduce Dirac Live into your current setup, suggest the MiniDSP SHD Studio,

C658 direct to a power amp removes the need for preamp no?