NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

My fee just doubled!  ? I have given up all my secrets and can now retire! ? 

I am glad you persisted and am delighted to hear that you have achieved what you set up to do.  Enjoy... ? 

Haha could not even read a chart before I started this, a steep learning curve but well worth it! ??

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Hi Bunno the bold line and dots is the target, and yeh the CXR is no slouch that's for sure.

Ahh ok, does the software show the actual after processing? Guessing in your pics the other 2 lines are before. Would be good to see how close it gets to target in your system

32 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Ahh ok, does the software show the actual after processing? Guessing in your pics the other 2 lines are before. Would be good to see how close it gets to target in your system

The two squiggly lines In the charts are the results of the measurements.

On 21/03/2020 at 8:46 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

For me its delivered:

- Drum Snap

- Deep 3D bass when needed

- Sweet mids

- Holographic sound stage

- Clarity

- Space and depth

Great post ? ....and inspiring to note the learning curve given all your experience.

Started off on the NAD family with a M32 recently helped by a fellow SNA ?.....keen to jump on Dirac and now looking at ways to compliment my M32.....maybe M33 (?....nah too much to upgrade)

• Like 2

Just got BluOS 3.8.8, no release notes available in NAD website, so not sure what’s fixed/addressed in this release..

Could not play the tunes, as Tidal was buffering continually, gave up, maybe tomorrow ????.... ☹️

Well Guys ,

I have updated the  Bluesound but not sure what's the update for. Anyway  Dean - HIFI- Whipped sent me his magic curve  and I tried it today. It really sounds amazing bar the  imaging. In my system the singers voice started appearing from slightly right rather than from the middle for some reason. It did improve the bass . I still like my Speaker Natural curve a bit more but have copied Dean's curve for the Subwoofers into it  and  Love the sound.  Thanks Mate..... Anyway guys tried the Mic again and I am still getting the same error and unable to  re calibrate. I reckon the Mic has developed a fault. I guess Will have to borrow MPR_65's Umik sooner than I expected to check whether It's the Mic that's faulty.

Cheers

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

I have updated the  Bluesound but not sure what's the update for. Anyway  Dean - HIFI- Whipped sent me his magic curve  and I tried it today. It really sounds amazing bar the  imaging. In my system the singers voice started appearing from slightly right rather than from the middle for some reason. It did improve the bass . I still like my Speaker Natural curve a bit more but have copied Dean's curve for the Subwoofers into it  and  Love the sound.  Thanks Mate..... Anyway guys tried the Mic again and I am still getting the same error and unable to  re calibrate. I reckon the Mic has developed a fault. I guess Will have to borrow MPR_65's Umik sooner than I expected to check whether It's the Mic that's faulty.

Cheers

Hey all. 
funny you should say that. I’ve got similar issues with vocals coming slightly from the right as well when using the NAD curve or variations of it. The Dirac Curve seems to put things in the middle again. Going to try some more measurements over the weekend. 
Additionally I’m getting some weird vibrations from the right speaker bass driver during the lower frequency sweep. Got to check that out too.  

14 hours ago, Mpr_65 said:

Additionally I’m getting some weird vibrations from the right speaker bass driver during the lower frequency sweep. Got to check that out too.  

Oooh, that's not good. Hopefully a loose screw or touching cable rattle inside the box.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Yeh its a pretty rigorous process for the speakers and subs that for sure.

You're right there.  I couldn't believe the extension they're capable of.  Funny thing is according to the measurements and graph it's the one with the rattling sound that provides the best bass response.  Might be that it's closer to a solid wall whereas the other has no wall on one side.   

• Like 2

Ive been looking at Dirac again and taking into account I only know enough about this to be dangerous, I may have stumbled across the reason iterations of the Nad Curve sound good to me in my system.

The Graph below shows a curve I did last night which is identical to the Nad Curve apart from the fact I followed my room measurements from around 35hz down. I have found this single tweak tightens the bass and keep its sounding natural and real.

For the first time just now though I have shown the "corrected" lines not the "measured" lines which I assume is the improvements Dirac makes to the measured results. Doing this showed me that the "corrected" lines and the curve I tweaked are almost identical.

Have I stumbled across the obvious for people that know more about this than me and the reason the Nad curve sounds good for me?

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.40.50 pm.png

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

For the first time just now though I have shown the "corrected" lines not the "measured" lines which I assume is the improvements Dirac makes to the measured results. Doing this showed me that the "corrected" lines and the curve I tweaked are almost identical.

Have I stumbled across the obvious for people that know more about this than me and the reason the Nad curve sounds good for me?

That looks more like it. The other pics you showed I thought would be before correction
Pretty close to target curve. Impressive

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Ive been looking at Dirac again and taking into account I only know enough about this to be dangerous, I may have stumbled across the reason iterations of the Nad Curve sound good to me in my system.

The Graph below shows a curve I did last night which is identical to the Nad Curve apart from the fact I followed my room measurements from around 35hz down. I have found this single tweak tightens the bass and keep its sounding natural and real.

Hi Dean ,

bass is really good with your curve...I have copied it to the Subwoofers only on my Speaker Natural curve and really enjoying the sound.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for not making me look like a fool with my post about the target curve being about the same as the corrected lines! 

Had a play again tonight and noticed that when you change the target curve, Dirac updates the corrected lines to suit! NOOB!

That said had some really positive results again tonight, I combined my "miracle curve" and my tweaked nad curve tonight by copying and pasting parts out of one into the other via the txt file.

i found I loved the bass tightness of the tweaked nad curve, and the mids of my miracle curve, when put together they made for some nice listening,

from there i pulled the boost back slighly as it sounded a little bloated and found a sweet spot I'll stick with for another week or so.

Seriously nice sound coming from my system now!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Thanks to everyone for not making me look like a fool with my post about the target curve being about the same as the corrected lines! 

Had a play again tonight and noticed that when you change the target curve, Dirac updates the corrected lines to suit! NOOB!

That said had some really positive results again tonight, I combined my "miracle curve" and my tweaked nad curve tonight by copying and pasting parts out of one into the other via the txt file.

i found I loved the bass tightness of the tweaked nad curve, and the mids of my miracle curve, when put together they made for some nice listening,

from there i pulled the boost back slighly as it sounded a little bloated and found a sweet spot I'll stick with for another week or so.

Seriously nice sound coming from my system now!

Please share the curve when you have achieved two consecutive tweak free weeks of listening.... ?

Edited by Ozflyer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

Please share the curve when you have achieved two consecutive tweak free weeks of listening.... ?

One thing I will say is that tweaking curves here and there is it's a lot cheaper and takes less time than the traditional method of buying and selling equipment for small gains etc.

No costly wholesale changes required, a tweak here and there costs $0!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

One thing I will say is that tweaking curves here and there is it's a lot cheaper and takes less time than the traditional method of buying and selling equipment for small gains etc.

No costly wholesale changes required, a tweak here and there costs $0!

I agree 100% Dean

• Like 1

I have had a bit of free time this arvo started on programming and setting curves.

I also purchased the Full licence as I have some mid to upper issues.

1. Recorded the responses with wide couch.

2. Separated Mains speakers into 2 Groups. Groups 1 & 2

3. Separated my 2 Subs into separate Groups. Groups 3 & 4.

4. Downloaded NAD curve into each.

5. Loaded New Project into unit.

Tonight I will audition and advise.

Update:

Didn't like it. Back to curve design

Edited by What Me?

I would like to say a big Thanks to  Marty ( Mpr_65 )  for lending me his UMik-1.  Good news is that Umik-1 worked fine with my NAD without any error's . That means my NAD mic is buggered but Ive left it with Marty to double check that for me. Anyway  I did all 17 measurements with Umik-1 and have spent roughly an hour listening and comparing.  Umik-1 has made a difference. Imaging , bass , instrument separation and top end are all improved. Difference is subtle but It's there.  My favorite curve is the one that I had modified previously as per the Speakers Natural measurements and for Bass....I am using Dean's ( Hi-Fi Whipped ) subwoofer curve. I'm done with measurements now and  would focus on listening only.  Cheers Everyone and Stay safe.

• Like 3

Is there a chance of getting a copy of others target curves to try?

I have just reread the NAD instructions on loading the NAD curve and it recommends not adding that curve to the subs. Is that correct and what others are doing?

12 minutes ago, What Me? said:

Is there a chance of getting a copy of others target curves to try?

I have just reread the NAD instructions on loading the NAD curve and it recommends not adding that curve to the subs. Is that correct and what others are doing?

I am more than happy to share my Speaker Curve Mate. PM me your e-mail. It  is easy to add curve. Just click on load curve and point to the saved directory and than tell it to which group you want it loaded to. No harm in trying.