NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Dean ,

Sound will further improve after 70 plus hours. I had it on for last 3 days and had a listen Yesterday and found the imaging to be better and Dirac will 100 % improve the sound . There is massive difference in sound With and Without Dirac in my system. I am glad you liked the NAD. Cheers

Thanks Gill, yeh off to a great start thanks for the insights ??

4 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Hi

Is the basic version useful or is the upgrade required to make it worthwhile?

Thanks

Basic version is restricted to 500 hz ad full version goes upto 2khz. Basic version is quite good but full version is worth it for the subtle improvements it provides .

• Like 3

Do you get before and after curves from the NAD Dirac that you can share online?

I can see your room is pretty unforgiving (concrete floor, exposed brick walls) from an acoustic perspective. I'm curious as to what it detected was amiss and what it looked to alter.

Also, RE: subwoofers getting unselected... can you provide some more info? If I go one of these units it will be running a pair of subs with my mains so any niggles there would be good to understand.

14 hours ago, recur said:

Do you get before and after curves from the NAD Dirac that you can share online?

I can see your room is pretty unforgiving (concrete floor, exposed brick walls) from an acoustic perspective. I'm curious as to what it detected was amiss and what it looked to alter.

Also, RE: subwoofers getting unselected... can you provide some more info? If I go one of these units it will be running a pair of subs with my mains so any niggles there would be good to understand.

Yes Mate ,

My System is in the basement so concrete all around as house is on stumps. I have made some rudimentary bass traps that you can see in the corners. Graphs are attached.  Dirac has actually done a great job as Yesterday I had to touch the top of subwoofer to  check if they were running or not. That's when I realized that the they were deselected. I opened Bluesound app and turned them on in the player settings. It's more a glitch in the software I guess. Anyway graphs are below. Light pink and green are before calibration and dark pink and green are post Dirac magic.

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot 24_02_2020 12_20_59 PM.png

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just wanted to give people a heads up just in case they find themselves in the same position as me.

I use the C658 as a DAC only and don't use the Pre / variable volume function. So I set the fixed volume on the C658 at the default which is 0db.

Problem was at this level there was distortion to the point where I thought the unit was faulty.

Before I did too much more I contacted resident expert @furtherpale and turns out there are two settings that have to be set correctly to work as advertised.

The settings are:

-20db - C658 Fixed Volume

0db - BluOS app with the fixed volume option selected

These are settings provided by NAD which are buried in the user manual.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped
Added Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Must admit now that the unit has been on and running 24hrs for about 4 days I'm getting itchy feet to give Dirac a run, won't be until Saturday afternoon though.

Do you just leave the device on for 4 days or have to use bluOS or have music thru DAC for the run-in purpose?

1 hour ago, NADbooffa said:

Do you just leave the device on for 4 days or have to use bluOS or have music thru DAC for the run-in purpose?

I've been told that just having it powered on is enough to "burn in" but I have had music running through it too, just to be sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I've been told that just having it powered on is enough to "burn in" but I have had music running through it too, just to be sure.

I had radio paradise playing through it for 4 days and power amp in standby.

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Like 1

Excellent Dirac Live article, by someone who has extensive experience with DSP packages. Useful for beginners and even people who are familiar with it.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dirac-live-2-digital-room-correction-software-walkthrough-r884/

@Hi-Fi Whipped. worth putting in first post.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Just wanted to give people a heads up just in case they find themselves in the same position as me.

I use the C658 as a DAC only and don't use the Pre / variable volume function. So I set the fixed volume on the C658 at the default which is 0db.

Problem was at this level there was distortion to the point where I thought the unit was faulty.

Before I did too much more I contacted resident expert @furtherpale and turns out there are two settings that have to be just right to work properly.

The settings are:

-20db - C658 Fixed Volume

0db - BluOS app with the fixed volume option selected

Hi all. I’ve been following this thread closely. I’m considering purchasing the C658 as a Dac only as I have an integrated amp. I’m wondering whether these settings are the recommended settings from NAD or a work around to produce satisfactory results? If it’s the latter I’m concerned about the implementation of the fixed volume function.  

Edited by Mpr_65
Format
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

Hi all. I’ve been following this thread closely. I’m considering purchasing the C658 as a Dac only as I have an integrated amp. I’m wondering whether these settings are the recommended settings from NAD or a work around to produce satisfactory results? If it’s the latter I’m concerned about the implementation of the fixed volume function.  

Recommended settings (but buried in the manual).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

Recommended settings (but buried in the manual).

Thanks Furtherpale.  Onward and upward then. I’ll put an order in today. :)  

And again thanks to all the other contributors. It’s a very helpful thread. 

cheers 

• Like 2

Guys ,

At the moment I am using  NAD as a pre but I also have an ATC Pre matching my ATC Power Amp. Now If I use RCA Pre outs from NAD into ATC Pre , Will I be using the DAC in NAD or the ATC and Will It affect the Dirac settings etc. As with Naim I had prerviously I was using Naim as a Streamer into my ATC Pre. Thoughts ?.

1 minute ago, gillmaverick said:

Guys ,

At the moment I am using  NAD as a pre but I also have an ATC Pre matching my ATC Power Amp. Now If I use RCA Pre outs from NAD into ATC Pre , Will I be using the DAC in NAD or the ATC and Will It affect the Dirac settings etc. As with Naim I had prerviously I was using Naim as a Streamer into my ATC Pre. Thoughts ?.

You have answered your own question, in italics above. To get RCA, it has to use the DAC from the NAD. Dirac is applied to the digital signal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You have answered your own question, in italics above. To get RCA, it has to use the DAC from the NAD. Dirac is applied to the digital signal. 

Thanks Snoop ,

I wasnt sure about this. So ATC Pre will control volume only than ?.

Edited by gillmaverick

29 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Thanks Snoop ,

I wasnt sure about this. So ATC Pre will control volume only than ?.

If you use the fixed volume setting on the NAd as per this earlier post

then the ATC pre will be the volume control.

It will not be as convenient with  BluOS App controlling playback other than volume and volume control on ATC remote/App.  I suspect the ATC pre will be better but no harm trying the NAD without the ATC.

7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If you use the fixed volume setting on the NAd as per this earlier post

then the ATC pre will be the volume control.

It will not be as convenient with  BluOS App controlling playback other than volume and volume control on ATC remote/App.  I suspect the ATC pre will be better but no harm trying the NAD without the ATC.

I did try Naim as Pre but prefered the sound When Naim Pre outs were plugged into ATC Pre. Will have to try both ways. I will have to use ATC pre remote for Volume control. If that is the only drawback I can handle that. Thanks