Sign in to follow this  
gwurb

Used AVR $1000 price point Denon, Marantz, other?

8 minutes ago, gwurb said:

So get something like Denon X3500H or Marantz SR5013 (just checked, has pre out) and add power amp, aiming for $2000 budget?

Would be better than Denon X3600H new (~$2000) in your opinion?

Noting that all the height speaker stuff is not important for me.

AVR + power amp is my suggestion. And good you checked about preout!

You mentioned that you wanted it to last for a few years. A power amp does not go out of fashion. Also, instead of new, multi channel amps do turn up in Classifieds, so if you are patient, can get a Rotel or a Emotiva XPA. 

7 minutes ago, gwurb said:

could you expand on 'The X3500 does' ?

I don't have Klipsch :) Front L/R are 90dB (8 Ohm), Centre is 87dB (8 Ohm), surrounds are 86dB (6 Ohm).

Just read it continuously ignoring the ''quote" bit ; which I should have used instead for readability . Meaning it drives 105w into 2channels which would be decimated driving 5 instead . Even if you had just 2 l/r preouts driving a 2ch power amp this would take a strain of the avr's power supply driving the cc and surrounds :)

Remember with this theres a lot of redundant things like analogue video circuitry various streaming services ;dolby atmos and the like but if it must be local theres also a cheaper basx mc700 that matches your preferences pretty well [and its on special atm] . And you can get a proper power amp like a rotel etc as mentioned..

I'm selling an AV8801 but haven't been home to put up pics and formal add yet. With a second hand power amp it could be an excellent choice for you? If you have interest please PM me. I'd be thinking in the $700+ range.

I'm interested to know wit hthe quoted figures for AVR power output and 5ch driven (x3600h) how would it cope with lower impedance if producing 80W /ch into 8ohm?

6 hours ago, mgrobins said:

I'm selling an AV8801 but haven't been home to put up pics and formal add yet. With a second hand power amp it could be an excellent choice for you? If you have interest please PM me. I'd be thinking in the $700+ range.

Thanks for the offer. I don't know much about AV8801, only what I found googling. It looks great for what it is. I think its probably not the right choice for me. 

I've read more in to the potential options and I would want HDCP 2.2 . That really means AV8802a would be the lowest option in AV880x range, and that becomes way outside of my budget (unless someone is extremely generous with their sale price).