I can hardly wait.  A friend (I should say VERY good friend :) )   rang me this morning and asked if I wanted this turntable he had seen for sale cheap.   He said it was old but a beautiful machine.  He sent me a photo.  I couldn't believe my eyes, nor could I believe the price.   I bought it just from the photo.  Worth the punt that it is fixable/usable. 

Looks like a B16H.  My first 16" platter!   It appears that the previous owner had mounted a shorter tonearm which only JUST fitted beside the 16" platter.  Things I am wondering...  Is the motor still 110V - probably, but can it be wired for 230?   Is the drive pulley still 60Hz, or has the previous owner installed a 50Hz version?  If not, I may be building a 110V 60Hz power supply for it. That would get me speed adjustment via variable frequency - so a nice project.

It will be about a month before I actually get it - and I WILL suffer in the meantime.  The waiting is gonna kill me :( 

rekokut.jpg.5c575fa813c5666fb55ebc00c4090db9.jpg

Congratulations, these old turntables can sound wonderful.  It will need to be in a good heavy solid plinth to sound it's best.  I would think it's an idler drive, so won't have a 50/60 pulley, there will probably be a speed adjuster on it to take care of any variations.

Can I ask how cheap you got it for?  Is it coming from the US?

I'm looking forward to your updates when it arrives. 

Edited by audiofeline

Just now, audiofeline said:

Congratulations, these old turntables can sound wonderful.  It will need to be in a good heavy solid plinth to sound it's best. 

Can I ask how cheap you got it for?  Is it coming from the US?

I'm looking forward to your updates when it arrives. 

No it was in an op shop in Australia.  Makes me wonder (hope) that it might already have the 50Hz pulley if someone had been using it here.   

I will take me a month to meet up with my friend, who purchased it for me.  Rather than try to post something so heavy, I figure it's a good chance to meet and catch up, but that will be later in March I think.

Being an op shop, and it being unusable in normal terms - no tonearm, no power cord, it was VERY cheap.  Put it this way, cheaper than a nip of Lagavulin at the bar.  Hey it may have problems, but it looks as though it is decent.  My friend was able to tell me the big motor is still there underneath :) 

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

I would think it's an idler drive, so won't have a 50/60 pulley, there will probably be a speed adjuster on it to take care of any variations.

They seem to use the term "pulley" for the stepped drive sleeve on top of the motor as well.  I have seen them for sale on eBay.  I don't know if Rek-o-Kut have a speed adjuster - doesn't seem to have a control for it.  Guess I'll see when I get it.

What - an op-shop find?  Amazing!  I've searched for a audiophile find in a op shops my entire life and never come across anything like this (my manager once found a TD125 in an op shop once, his wife started to argue with him in the shop because she couldn't understand why he was so keen to buy a crap cabinet until he whispered to her the value of the turntable inside it - but that's another story). 

Rek-o-Kut have a big following in the US, you could probably find a lot of info online to help you prepare for it.  I'd be suggesting you plan for a stacked hardwood ply plinth to make it sing.  I still can't believe that it was found in an op shop.  Fortune has smiled upon you.  If the turntable hadn't found you, it may have ended up in landfill. 

What - an op-shop find?

I would never have found it.  But its nice when friends remember your silly hobbies and ring you when they see something.

Rek-o-Kut have a big following in the US, you could probably find a lot of info online to help you prepare for it.  I'd be suggesting you plan for a stacked hardwood ply plinth to make it sing.

That's what I did for the Peak/CEC FR-250 idler I currently use as a main table.  Yep. looks good too.

If the turntable hadn't found you, it may have ended up in landfill. 

I am sure they wouldn't keep such a heavy "useless" thing around for long, wasting shop space.

OK, finally picked the thing up.  (and it was heavy :) )       I have had a quick look, and it seems to have the two windings of the synch. motor in parallel, so still wired for 115 volts.  However the interesting thing is how the motor is labelled.  It has a second sticker over the original, and it really looks like it says 115 next to the volts, and 50 next to the "CY".     Looking at the pulley on top, it seems to have been machined from something artificial, like phenolic fibreboard or something.  I would have expected the original to be brass or some metal.  So maybe there has been a modification done.  After all, it was here in Australia, so someone may have been using it here.

I need to plug this into a stepdown transformer and see what speed it runs at.

IMG_20200325_162146.jpg.523def0f606498be08c14e73f9f827f8.jpg

That's the size of motor that would drive a washing machine!  This table should sound amazing when you have it going. 

OK,  test spun it today using a 110v stepdown transformer.      It spins, and it spins at the correct speed, so it has indeed been modified for 50 Hz use.  Hooray.

More good news,   I would say it has been serviced fairly recently. 

The speed change mechanism all operates smoothly.  I have to say it's a bit like driving a truck, with a neutral and 2 sets of gear change knobs.  The big one selects 78, or 33/45, the smaller one selects which, 33 or 45, is actually engaged by the big one. Also, the bearing is in good condition and is even wet with oil.  The ball is still in place under it.   Maybe this is a grease bearing. Will have to check  The shaft has grooves cut into it that I haven't seen in oil bearing - maybe to distribute the grease?

The rubber idlers (it has 2 of them) seem good.  The 33/45 one looks in very good condition.  Maybe it has been replaced.  The table has FANTASTIC torque, and is up to speed in about a quarter of a turn at 33 rpm.  AMAZING.  

Edited by aussievintage

Finished fiddling with the TT for today.  Overall very happy. 

Couple of faults.  A small power switch operated underneath by the gear change mechanism, decided it was done with life after 70 years, and fell apart.   Not a biggie, I  just bypassed it.  Not really necessary as I will turn power off to the TT when not in use anyway.

Second fault.  That big motor has oil bearings fed by pipes from the top of the deck, and the little rubber flexible hoses are perished and broken off.  I will try the hobby shop or somewhere to get flexible plastic or rubber tubes that will tolerate oil.

Speed is 33.7 rpm.  Slightly fast.  When I have everything settled mechanically, if it is still fast, I will cure that with a touch of sand paper to the spinning drive pulley.