Tonearm upgrade Thorens TD 160

Hi,

I want to upgrade the tonearm on my Thorens TD 160, my technician told me that because some mods have been made it’s going to be difficult to do it on the current condition.

Im planning to use the arm that came on my Project RPM 4 as it supports VTA adjustment.

This is a picture of the mod that was made to put a Rega RB250,
9317FC80-3E2E-49AB-A676-AEA0B230428B.thumb.jpeg.8313c5e2e97ac38ad2f3ebadc2fa168d.jpeg

I would like to know if I need a new plinth or just the plinth cover or whatever is called :)

Cheers

H

4 minutes ago, Telecine said:

You can use spacers, a Michel VTA adjuster or a number of other third-party VTA solutions with your existing Rega RB-250 arm.

New top plates are available on eBay should you choose to go down that path.

Thanks mate, I believe the technician told me that because of the mods, it might be hard to use any of the things you mentioned. By your answer, I won't need a new plinth but the top plate, am I right?

H

6 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Yes, new top plate.

Thanks mate,

I just realised you also answered my previous post about my Pro-Ject TT issue. The oil didn’t work, do u think the power supply might be the issue, I’m unplug it off, let it rest until is cold and then plug it back. It works for about 30 mins 

H

On 16/02/2020 at 4:56 PM, Telecine said:

Could be the power supply. See if you can borrow one to try, rather than buy one.

Hi mate,

took the turntable to the technician and he serviced, he said that the issue was “Very worn. No lubricant. Same with centre bearing. ”  fingers crossed it will be fine now. I have replaced the motor pulley and the belt as well 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 5:06 PM, rondine said:

You need a shot from underneath to see what has been done.

ron

Thanks mate, my technician explained me what it has be done to the table, unfortunately there’s no quick and simple solution :(. I have serviced my old Pro-ject as the Ortofon Black works like a charm on it so I’ll use it until have the time and money to work on the Thorens

36 minutes ago, hlov said:

Hi mate,

took the turntable to the technician and he serviced, he said that the issue was “Very worn. No lubricant. Same with centre bearing. ”  fingers crossed it will be fine now. I have replaced the motor pulley and the belt as well 

@Telecine it didn’t work :(, the technician said the PSU seems to be fine so I think the motor is just screwed so guess needs to be replaced. Curiously, the noise starts always at the same time, both the PSU and the motor feels hot at touch and I actually think the noise is even worse

5 minutes ago, hlov said:

@Telecine it didn’t work :(, the technician said the PSU seems to be fine so I think the motor is just screwed so guess needs to be replaced. Curiously, the noise starts always at the same time, both the PSU and the motor feels hot at touch and I actually think the noise is even worse

You might need to source a new motor.

1 minute ago, hlov said:

You might have to make that decision. You could try posting a wanted to buy ad for one. Someone might have one lying around.

Changing to another brand of motor will require a different drive pulley and modifications to mount it.  Thorens motors supplied to Australia were  220 volt ac and these should have been fitted with a series resistor to correct for this excess. The motor capacitor should be selected for smoothest running .  Noisy motors can be cured by fitting thrust bearing to stop the rotor hunting. These are available as  kits. The clutch in the motor pulley is another item that may require attention.

5 hours ago, VanArn said:

Changing to another brand of motor will require a different drive pulley and modifications to mount it.  Thorens motors supplied to Australia were  220 volt ac and these should have been fitted with a series resistor to correct for this excess. The motor capacitor should be selected for smoothest running .  Noisy motors can be cured by fitting thrust bearing to stop the rotor hunting. These are available as  kits. The clutch in the motor pulley is another item that may require attention.

Hi mate,

thanks for the advise, sorry I hijacked my own thread, I was referring to replace the motor of my Pro-Ject Turntable 

cheers

H