Raffinator

Best location for a Roon server in a network

Hi, 

I've got 4 components, NAS, Roon server, streamer, and DAC. 

At present, I have the NAS and Roon server (currently a Mac Mini) on the same switch. NAS has the '000s of tracks stored. The streamer and DAC is in another part of the house, connected via mesh Wi-Fi. 

I'm considering moving the server on the same switch as the streamer and dac. So the content would be connected via wifi. 

Is this optimal? What puts more demand on a wires network; the server accessing the files, or the streamer accessing the stream from the Roon server? 

The recommendations that I have seen have been that the server and NAS are connected with ethernet cable, in preference just Wifi, whereas the connection to the streamer is less critical. The amount of information that even  hi-res track contains is really small relative to what wifi is capable of.  That said we have all had network problems, though in my experience that seems to be when my children start streaming videos, gaming and talking to each other on discord! YMMV.

In short, the server end is more dependent on good network connection to function well.

Edited by Juzbear

My Roon Nucleus is connected directly to the router via ethernet. My end point is also hard wired through a switch on another part of the network. The only thing that accesses the Roon side of things wirelessly is my bedroom system (via AirPlay) and this works flawlessly.

IMHO the system should all be connected by Ethernet cable for the best performance. Even the best WiFi network can be unreliable, hard wired is best.

I have everything Ethernet to router. Does that help Raffster?

Ethernet cords everywhere under the house :)

Even out to the Squeezebox Touch in the shed.

Got a Nucleus coming soon :) 

The issue I've got is that the NBN comes in via the garage, so I've put my Modem and Wifi mesh access point there. Through the other side of the wall is my family room with AV and stereo setup connected on a switch. House is on a slab.

Upstairs at the other end of the house is my study, which has desktop and headphone setup, and IT such as my NAS and Mac Mini as Roon Server. These are wired to another mesh access point. I don't want to wire up the lengths of the house with CAT if I can avoid it. 

I'm getting too many dropouts of Roon when playing in the main room. It may be wireless congestion, or the Mac Mini. So I'm working on that second factor by soon trying a NUC just running ROCK for Roon, as it might be the old 2012 Mini causing it (and other issues). The question was where to place the NUC; on the same wired switch that has NBN, streamer and main room DAC, or back in the study next to the NAS.

I could of course move the NAS to the garage as well. But it isn't exactly the cleanest environment in there.

It could be your wireless backbone between the 2 mesh access points which is slowing things. It has to traverse the length of the house as well as 2 levels of the house. Check the wifi signal strength of the downstairs unit from your study, with the upstairs unit off.  That will give you an indication of the signal strength that the backbone has to use.

You have already stated you do not want to wire them.  Then you may need a third mesh access point between them.

Or put Room server and NAS in main room?

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

It could be your wireless backbone between the 2 mesh access points which is slowing things. It has to traverse the length of the house as well as 2 levels of the house. Check the wifi signal strength of the downstairs unit from your study, with the upstairs unit off.  That will give you an indication of the signal strength that the backbone has to use.

You have already stated you do not want to wire them.  Then you may need a third mesh access point between them.

Or put Room server and NAS in main room?

Sorry Snoopy, I failed to mention that I have another 2 mesh points in the house - 4 in total. 2 up and 2 down.

I think when I get the NUC I will put it on all the same switch. Then at least the main room would be wired all the way to the DAC.

7 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Sorry Snoopy, I failed to mention that I have another 2 mesh points in the house - 4 in total. 2 up and 2 down.

I think when I get the NUC I will put it on all the same switch. Then at least the main room would be wired all the way to the DAC.

Ok. Unlikely to be network then.

Then next question. 

With Roon, if I remember correctly, you do upsampling.  If so, then Mac Mini could be bottleneck causing dropout? With the NUC, get the latest i7 with fast memory.

Back to your original question. Suggest NUC close to DAC. And even NAS should be close by. I have mine all together, wired, not using mesh wifi.