Terminator Dark Fate

A big fan of the terminator series, with my favourites being Terminator, Terminator 2 and have caught the odd other in the series taken with so decided to watch this latest release on UHD blu-ray

terminator-dark-fate-4k.jpg

wasnt sure what be in for as been a little variable some releases in the series. but i was pleasantly suprised. there are some similarities initially to T2. however the biggest plus of this movie are in the characterisations... yes big guns pulled out in I'll be back Arnie and Sarrah connor - Linda Hamilton. however a very likeable character on future soldier Mackenzie Davis (Grace) who is sent on mission. and who I would say takes lead role in this film, . Recognise her from smaller roles she has done in Blade runner 2049 and The Martian. with Natalia Reyes (Dani) doing pretty well in support

The movie has pace... can probably guess the story line :D some humour in parts, certainly connect well with the characters and keeps you drawn along with the story. Certainly some unbelievable parts (tis part science fiction ! ) but on whole should keep strapped in for the ride. So overall I''d score Movie 7.5/10

Both Picture quality and audio...and goodness particularly the audio are quite the standouts ! there are some utterly stunning scenes with the train, helicopter and end scenes which really have audio and picture working together for quite an effect. Some stunning bass effects in this movie too. the picture is Ari 4.5k source but tragically has a 2k intermediate processing probably to pick up the CGI effects. however what means is a very punchy picture regardless with good source so I'd give Picture Quality 8/10 . and audio is a very enveloping atmos track which id give Audio Quality 9/10

Some screen shots to capture some moments in the movie

0I9A8191.jpeg

0I9A8196.jpeg

0I9A8195.jpeg

0I9A8192.jpeg

0I9A8193.jpeg

0I9A8200.jpeg

0I9A8197.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to it. Not in any hurry though. I'm a bit anomalous in that I grew up an Arnie fan, and still have incredibly find memories of seeing Terminator on release in the cinema as a teen. It was my first adult film. T2 was fun, although my initial viewing of it was kind of botched when 20 minutes into it, my now sister in law asked during a really quiet bit, " Is this 'Ghost'?", making the theatre crack up... I never actually saw t3 until the Blu ray era. 

A long way of getting to my point. I have fond memories associated with 1 & 2, but the only one of the series I really like a lot is Salvation. And next to that, Genesis. T1 when I watch as an older man just strikes me as a Hallmark movie with some violence. T2 just rubbed me the wrong way from the start where Arnie was the opposite of T1, and I lost my xxxx the first time I saw that Minigun scene with the "0.0 Casualties" BS. And then seeing the extended cut. Eg, the Pepsi cut, I started a drinking game where I'd take a shot each time they advertise Pepsi. Needless to say with the extended cut I pass out before the sappy ending...

Everyone seems to hate Salvation and Genesis, but I love them. So I have about of trepidation about Dark Fate. Cameron's involvement makes me nervous...

• Like 1

Yeah, Dark Fate was a good enough action flick, but still kind of flawed though.  Which was a shame as I was hoping for something more.  T2 is still my favourite followed by the original.

I like Salvation as an action movie too, but I see it more as a side Terminator story, even if it's got some of the 'important' characters in it.

T3 was pretty meh.

And I still haven't seen all of Genesis yet... :lol:  There's just something about it that really rubs me the wrong way.  

2 hours ago, Monk said:

Yeah, Dark Fate was a good enough action flick, but still kind of flawed though.  Which was a shame as I was hoping for something more.  T2 is still my favourite followed by the original.

I like Salvation as an action movie too, but I see it more as a side Terminator story, even if it's got some of the 'important' characters in it.

T3 was pretty meh.

And I still haven't seen all of Genesis yet... :lol:  There's just something about it that really rubs me the wrong way.  

Give Genesis a go with no preconceptions. I love what they achieved with it. Just seeing the start with the whole retelling of the start of the original movie from another perspective was just xxxxing magical, and incredible from a technical perspective. And 3d too. It seriously is in my books an imaginative achievement and a true delight. The latter half isn't to that level, but still enjoyable. It is so rare I see something in a sequel like this. It is hard to explain. But watching it was just such an unexpected delight. The recreation itself. 

Salvation I just flat out love. Like an actual serious Terminator movie, as opposed to a comical exaggerated juvenile one.

• Like 1

I thought it was the best Terminator film since T2. Better then Genesis (which was a direct sequel to T1 - that's why the general public never understood its plot timeline).

But the CGI was too over the top in some scenes, like on the airplane.

• Like 1

Good catch @betty boop re Mackenzie Davis (Mindy Park from The Martian). I wouldn't have picked it. Obviously spent a bit of time in the gym since. Was trying to think where I'd seen Natalie Reyes.........and then it twigged, Sicario 2.

Much worse ways to spend a couple of hours and agree with you about the sound. Too often, explosions don't sound like explosions and gunfire doesn't sound like gunfire.  No such issues here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Peter the Greek

YAWN......remake for millennials. Funny in parts, with references to the old movies - "I'll be back". Too similar in many respects to T2....in a bad way.....the truck scene, end scene, chopper scene

John replaced by some Mexican girl....please, be a bit more PC

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to seeing this, and this SPOILER review sums it up pretty well for me, and had watched this first, so was prepared for this, great to see Linda and Arnie back, and OK action film and with some horribly obvious CG as already said, but as a Terminator movie..