Jump to content

Ericcklau

Mono cartridge

Recommended Posts

Hi all 

 

I would like to ask if I want to try out the Mono cartridge AT-MONO3LP, can it play with normal MM phono?

Thank you 

 

ERIC

 

FREQUENCY RESPONSE    20 - 20,000Hz
VERTICAL TRACKING FORCE    1.5 to 2.5 g (standard 2.0 g)
RECOMMENDED LOAD IMPEDANCE    400 - 47,000 ohms
OUTPUT    1.2 mV (at 1 kHz, 5.0 cm/sec)
STYLUS SHAPE    Conical
CANTILEVER    Aluminum Pipe
MOUNT    Half-inch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ericcklau said:

Hi all 

 

I would like to ask if I want to try out the Mono cartridge AT-MONO3LP, can it play with normal MM phono?

Thank you 

 

ERIC

 

FREQUENCY RESPONSE    20 - 20,000Hz
VERTICAL TRACKING FORCE    1.5 to 2.5 g (standard 2.0 g)
RECOMMENDED LOAD IMPEDANCE    400 - 47,000 ohms
OUTPUT    1.2 mV (at 1 kHz, 5.0 cm/sec)
STYLUS SHAPE    Conical
CANTILEVER    Aluminum Pipe
MOUNT    Half-inch

 

14 hours ago, dwbasement said:

Lp is high output MC so MM phono is fine. 

 

Actually, with only 1.2mV output, the AT-MONO3LP will not suit a few MM phono stages - those that have lower gain than normal.

 

The standard 40dB gain should be OK - although 42/43 dB would be better.  However, I have seen phono stages with only 38dB.

 

Also, seeing as the mfrs recommended load is given as:  400 - 47,000 ohms, you may find it sounds better when the load is less than the default 47K!  Not many MM phono stages allow you to change load easily.

 

What phono stage do you have, Eric?

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

 

Actually, with only 1.2mV output, the AT-MONO3LP will not suit a few MM phono stages - those that have lower gain than normal.

 

The standard 40dB gain should be OK - although 42/43 dB would be better.  However, I have seen phono stages with only 38dB.

 

Also, seeing as the mfrs recommended load is given as:  400 - 47,000 ohms, you may find it sounds better when the load is less than the default 47K!  Not many MM phono stages allow you to change lead easily.

 

What phono stage do you have, Eric?

 

Andy

 

Thank you Andy

 

My amplifier does have some selection on the phono options. Should I stay in MC?

20200215_084347.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Ericcklau said:

Thank you Andy

 

My amplifier does have some selection on the phono options. Should I stay in MC?

 

image.png.e74af3ed14f033c70e42f5f16b805b6d.png

 

 

 

 

It depends, Eric!  :(

 

Basically, the only load options you can use are:

  • 47K on 'Phono-2' (the MM input), or
  • 47K on 'Phono-1' (the MC input).

 

Do you have the specs of the sensitivity of these phono inputs.  For instance, it might say something like "Phono-2 accepts 4mV" - in which case, your 1.2mV may be too low.  Or if MM gain is specified as 42/43dB ... you should be fine.  :)

 

If Phono-1 "accepts 0.5mV" - then 1.2mV will probably not overload the MC input.  However if the MC input accepts 0.2mV ... then 1.2mV may be too high a signal for it.  :(

 

You need to try both inputs - if you hear distortion on MC (or it's simply not loud enough on MM and you get too much hiss when you turn up the volume control) ... then you have an incompatibility with your integrated.

 

 

Good luck!

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

It depends, Eric!  :(

 

Basically, the only load options you can use are:

  • 47K on 'Phono-2' (the MM input), or
  • 47K on 'Phono-1' (the MC input).

 

Do you have the specs of the sensitivity of these phono inputs.  For instance, it might say something like "Phono-2 accepts 4mV" - in which case, your 1.2mV may be too low.  Or if MM gain is specified as 42/43dB ... you should be fine.  :)

 

If Phono-1 "accepts 0.5mV" - then 1.2mV will probably not overload the MC input.  However if the MC input accepts 0.2mV ... then 1.2mV may be too high a signal for it.  :(

 

You need to try both inputs - if you hear distortion on MC (or it's simply not loud enough on MM and you get too much hiss when you turn up the volume control) ... then you have an incompatibility with your integrated.

 

 

Good luck!

 

Andy

 

Hi Andy

 

Just search my amp information below:

 

It seems that the max input for MC is 7.5mV so may be I can use MC to play it right?

 

Model Stereo integrated amplifier
Effective output (0.03%, Aux) 20Hz to 20kHz: 140W + 140W (4Ω, Class B) 
         120W + 120W (8Ω, Class B) 
         30W + 30W (8Ω, Class A) 
1kHz: 180W + 180W (4Ω, Class B) 
    130W + 130W (8Ω, Class B ) )
Total harmonic distortion (20Hz-20kHz) Phono1, 2 → Rec out (5V): 0.003% or less 
Phono MC → Rec out (3V): 0.03% or less 
Tuner, Aux → Pre out (3V): 0.005% or less 
Main in → SP out (60W, Class B, 8Ω 😞 0.01% or less 
           (15W, Class A, 8Ω): 0.005% or less 
Tuner → SP out (60W, Class B, 8Ω): 0.01% or less
Power bandwidth (0.03%, 8Ω) Class B: 10Hz to 50kHz 
Class A: 10Hz to 70kHz
Damping factor 45 or more (8Ω, 1kHz)
Frequency characteristic Phono 1, 2 MC (RIAA deviation): 
30Hz 
- 15kHz ± 0.2dB Tuner-Pre out: 5Hz-100kHz +0 -1dB Tuner-SP out (8Ω load): 5Hz-50kHz +0 -1dB
Input sensitivity (rated) / impedance Phono 1: 2mV / 47kΩ, 68kΩ, 100kΩ 
Phono 2: 2mV / 47kΩ 
Phono MC: 50μV / 10Ω 
Tuner, Aux: 120mV / 50kΩ 
Main in: 1V / 50kΩ
Maximum allowable input (1kHz, 0.02% distortion) Phono1, 2: 310mVr.ms 
Phono MC: 7.5mVr.ms 
Tuner, Aux: 20Vr.ms
Output level / impedance Rec out: 120mV / 600Ω 
Pre out: 1V / 500Ω
Tone control characteristics Bass (125Hz⇔500Hz): ± 10dB (20Hz) 
Treble (8kHz⇔2.5kHz): ± 10dB (20kHz)
Subsonic filter 15Hz, 12dB / oct
High filter 10Hz, 12dB / oct
Noise level / SNR (IHF-A Network) Phono1, 2: 82dB 
Phono MC: 71dB (input 50Ω short) 
       68dB (input 0Ω short) 
Tuner, Aux, Tape: 100dB 
Main: 118dB
Residual noise 0.07mV or less
<Meter part>
Instruction range -50dB to + 5dB
response speed 100μs
Return speed 0.95sec
<Others>
Power supply AC100V, 50Hz / 60Hz
Rated power consumption 300W
External dimensions Width 461x height 170x depth of 360mm
weight 20kg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Ericcklau,

 

The below specs are somewhat confusing to me!  :(

 

All, I can suggest is that you try it out in all 3 of your phono inputs - yes, you have 3:

  • Phono 1
  • Phono 2, and
  • MC.

The maximum allowable input for MC is an amazing 7.5mV - however, this comes (stupidly IMO) with a default loading of 10 ohms ... which is not in the recommended range for your mono cart.

 

The maximum allowable input for the 2 MM inputs is an amazing 310mV - however, the input sensitivity is 2mV ... so your 1.2mV may be too low?  :(

 

So you need to try it out; can you compensate for the low input on Phono 1 and Phono 2 by turning up the volume control?

 

Andy

 

 

Intrgrated Specs.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it is a Yamaha amp, I used to have a 700 something.... MM was fine with my ex AT MONO3 LP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


39 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hi @Ericcklau,

 

The below specs are somewhat confusing to me!  :(

 

All, I can suggest is that you try it out in all 3 of your phono inputs - yes, you have 3:

  • Phono 1
  • Phono 2, and
  • MC.

The maximum allowable input for MC is an amazing 7.5mV - however, this comes (stupidly IMO) with a default loading of 10 ohms ... which is not in the recommended range for your mono cart.

 

The maximum allowable input for the 2 MM inputs is an amazing 310mV - however, the input sensitivity is 2mV ... so your 1.2mV may be too low?  :(

 

So you need to try it out; can you compensate for the low input on Phono 1 and Phono 2 by turning up the volume control?

 

Andy

 

 

Intrgrated Specs.JPG

 

16 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Looks like it is a Yamaha amp, I used to have a 700 something.... MM was fine with my ex AT MONO3 LP.

Thank you guys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An MC output is with 5cm/s groove modulation. Peak groove modulations, I understand, can be as high as 15 to 20cm/s. So a 1.2mV cart, might put out 3.6 to 4.8mV, leaving only 4dB of headroom for your MC input, which might be a bit small. So  the phono 1&2 (MM) inputs would be a safer bet. However, your cartridge should still provide peaks from the 47K MM inputs to the line stage of 200 to 250mV to feed the 18dB line stage. A CD player with 2V output means max power out put from your amp is probably around -24dB +/-6dB.  Using your MM input, volume setting might be in the order of 10dB higher compared to CD.

 

So agree with Andy, suck it and see.

 

Cheers 

 

Grant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gnnett said:

An MC output is with 5cm/s groove modulation. Peak groove modulations, I understand, can be as high as 15 to 20cm/s. So a 1.2mV cart, might put out 3.6 to 4.8mV, leaving only 4dB of headroom for your MC input, which might be a bit small. So  the phono 1&2 (MM) inputs would be a safer bet. However, your cartridge should still provide peaks from the 47K MM inputs to the line stage of 200 to 250mV to feed the 18dB line stage. A CD player with 2V output means max power out put from your amp is probably around -24dB +/-6dB.  Using your MM input, volume setting might be in the order of 10dB higher compared to CD.

 

So agree with Andy, suck it and see.

 

Cheers 

 

Grant 

Thank you gnnett I will try it when the cartridge arrive. Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...