Yamaha BDA1040 Blue-ray SACD player

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some advice / opinions on the Yamaha BDA1040 player as I  think it would be a good solution for my multi player needs which I can also use to stream and play SACD's. It seems to get reasonably good reviews online, however I'm after some more experienced opinions from the forum members :) 

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/electronics/blu-ray-players/yamaha-bd-a1040bl-blu-ray/1851

Cheers

Steve

Never heard it, but meant to be their best 2ch analog effort with Sabre DACs (I think). How and to what are you planning to connect it?

Have you got a SACD collection?

Its pretty old, assume you would be grabbing it second hand or refurbished? For the right money you couldn't go wrong trying it out.

Just getting back into hifi after a long break so I'm looking for something to replace my older blu-ray and cd /sacd that can cover both avenues with a streaming option, it will replace my NAD542 as my cd player, I had the use of a marantz sacd player whilst a friend was working overseas and collected a quite a few sacd's during that time. It will be run through a NAD pre and power amp. Incidentally I'm also leaning toward the BDA1060 which seems like a better option.

23 minutes ago, austeve said:

Just getting back into hifi after a long break so I'm looking for something to replace my older blu-ray and cd /sacd that can cover both avenues with a streaming option, it will replace my NAD542 as my cd player, I had the use of a marantz sacd player whilst a friend was working overseas and collected a quite a few sacd's during that time. It will be run through a NAD pre and power amp. Incidentally I'm also leaning toward the BDA1060 which seems like a better option.

yeh I confused the 1040 with the 1060.

CD players "usually" sound better thanks universal players but if you are looking for an allrounder with decent sound the 1060 should do that. Streaming is a different game though, disc players never really make good streamers, but it would atleast give you a taste of everything you need.

@austeve I have the Yamaha BD-A1000 which I bought as a Stop Gap for Playing Pure Audio (BluRay) Discs when I had an issue with my JLTI Pioneer BDP-51FD. I also have a Cambridge 752BD. The Cambridge is a big step up in Audio reproduction, so my suggestion would be to look for one of them if Audio is your Primary use. I just use the Yamaha for watching the odd BluRay or DVD.