Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Gimlet

4k players - what do you get for the money?

OK, so thanks to JBHifi's promotions team, I have moved up the display scale and replaced my plasma with a 4K OLED display.

As I only have a BR player (Oppo 103D) I'm looking at a new player. There are lots of players at lots of pricepoints, but what do you get for the extra money? WIth the Oppos it was easy - cheaper model had HDMI out only, more expensive had analogue as well.

Is it the same with the mainstream players (Pioneer, Pana etc)? There are some in the thousands, eg the Pioneer X1000. What do you get for the money? And what do I actually need if I used it for essentially video only?

Edit: I have an XBox One X for gaming, but heard the BR playback was a bit average. I have a Vero 4k+ for kodi, but I still have a niche for playing real discs.

Edited by Mr_Gimlet

3 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Is it the same with the mainstream players (Pioneer, Pana etc)? There are some in the thousands, eg the Pioneer X1000. What do you get for the money? And what do I actually need if I used it for essentially video only?

Edit: I have an XBox One X for gaming, but heard the BR playback was a bit average. I have a Vero 4k+ for kodi, but I still have a niche for playing real discs.

If its video only [and you don't need sacd playback from a universal like the pio's] the Panasonics have whats regarded as the best video playback [due to things like doing bit mapping in the player - which matches the max cll brightness metadata coming of the disc better and multiple nit levels for projectors and panels] .The 9000 has more of these presets to fine tune the player to the displays capabilities than say the 820 [if you need them] :)

With the 9000/825 you also get dolby vision compatibility compared to the 420 say if your panel accepts it .

Yes I agree about standalones ; an x box is designed to work with customised cgi etc as well as HEVC so has to make compromises somewhere B)

Edited by cwt

Another question with these players, do they also double as "smart" units or whatever, ie for Netflix and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Andre28 said:

Another question with these players, do they also double as "smart" units or whatever, ie for Netflix and whatnot.

Can do but rudimentary in apps and use ability 

also typically natively output everything to 4K 50/60 which is not good for say native 24p

Cheers. Contemplating one day having to replace the plasma and PS3, not sure how the in built apps on smart TVS perform, but from my limited experience, they have generally not been great. Was hoping a good disc player would be the solution!

Having an alternative to the tv is paramount. Sending sound from the panel doesn't really cut it for e.g. 4k netflix

25 minutes ago, Andre28 said:

Cheers. Contemplating one day having to replace the plasma and PS3, not sure how the in built apps on smart TVS perform, but from my limited experience, they have generally not been great. Was hoping a good disc player would be the solution!

Can’t beat dedicated media players .. something like appletv hard to best. I use one with my dumb tv and projector :)

Hopefully my PS3 will last until the ps5 is viable!

I guess in short it's really the means of a dedicated product that translates content true to its identity. 

No buffering, additional compression or limited bandwidth, no data loss or degradation. 

And to some that's definitely still worth a price, whether a $400 player or a $2,000 player with increased audio or video capability 

For me - absolutely worth it! But it's not cheap... Discs cost a lot more than a monthly subscription