New Prototype Dac

Mr Speedy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 7:23 PM, Herbs said:

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work with windows 10?

Yes Clay's DAC's work with Windows - you just have to download the appropriate driver.   But I dislike it personally because sometimes during a big widows update it seems to disappear.   That's why I use a Mac.   It doesn't often happen though - but when it does it is a bit annoying.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Thanks 1

On 14/06/2020 at 8:36 PM, Nope said:

@Gieseler Audio, nice to know new DAC is coming up great. If there is a demo unit circulating, it will be much appreciated if you include me.

Thanks

Same to me. Would jump on a pass around demo if that becomes available. Have been contemplating a new DAC but always feel like it would be a sideways move. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay but we ended up doing some last minute revisions on the board & the new case CNC work needed some fine tuning

to make sure everything was spot before actually ordering production cases.

The DAC board/design is totally finished & thoroughly tested.

The custom case CAD files have now been accepted by the case manufacturer.

I have pulled the trigger on the order but unfortunately the Japanese case manufacture has just started it's summer break holiday, Aug 8 - Aug 16th.

Then there is eleven business days for production plus 3 - 4 days shipping time.

That puts the ETA at around the  4 - 8th of September.

Once again sorry for the big delay but IMHO it is definitely worth the wait.

Initial  testing put the sound quality a little ahead of a Fein II & the new case is a serious step above my current cases.

I'll save all the juicy details for the official release but this is a rough outline.

Base model design with no display but engineered for maximum sound quality.

Three digital inputs - USB, Coax & Optical.

AK4493EQ DAC chip with a total of eleven independent supplies.

On board pre regulated PSU with a massive 500 mH choke.

New improved S/PDIF input stage based on the AK4118 rather than the previous Wolfston chip.

Four layer board with separate power & ground planes which also eliminates any pcb links.

Cost will be around  $1200 

Stay tuned!

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

@Gieseler Audio

In regard to the PSU Clay, back on page 1 you said 'it will have the equivalent of a Kraftwerk Gold Tune Enhanced PSU built in'

Is that still the case?

Does this mean your new Dac does not need one of your external Kraftwerk PSU's?

32 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

@Gieseler Audio

In regard to the PSU Clay, back on page 1 you said 'it will have the equivalent of a Kraftwerk Gold Tune Enhanced PSU built in'

Is that still the case?

Does this mean your new Dac does not need one of your external Kraftwerk PSU's?

That is my understanding...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

AK4493EQ DAC chip with a total of eleven independent supplies.

Clay has already posted that the new DAC has its own built in high quality PSU. So, start your engines and put in your order... ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone sorry for the delay.

Saturday night and I was watching a movie.
?

OK yes it does have a low noise power supply built in that is similar to a Kraftwerk.

The big choke is a added bonus.

In light of that there is no need to add a external DC power supply.

The standard supplied EI core external transformer will do the job nicely.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Correct.

I expected them to sound very similar because they both use the same AK4493 DAC chip & the same

Jensen output transformers.
The reason the new one sounds slightly better is probably due to the improved filtering in the main PSU.

I am using a huge 500mh choke between the main filter capacitors & this totally removes the usual sawtooth 

spikey ripple that the regulator would normally have to deal with.

The reasons the Fein II costs more are.

On board micro & associated circuitry.

OLED display 

Extra support required due to firmware etc.

And the main one being a much longer build time.

The chassis work is quite involved (hole drilling filing etc)

Machining the front panels, edge polishing, engraving colour fill, panel attachment & wiring.

The new case costs double but all the mechanical work is done.

I simply drop in the PCB & attach with four screws - all done.

At some point the Fein II will receive the same treatment but that will be down the track a bit.

Phew!

Hope that explains things.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The new case costs double but all the mechanical work is done.

I have seen cases from that Japanese source and they do look and feel good.  Can't wait to see and learn more about the Klein IV!  Sorry, Clay, can't use it in my setup.

1 hour ago, kelossus said:

So this new DAC is roughly 40% cheaper, has a better case and sounds better than the Fein II?

8 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

Just means that people get Clays brilliance at an unbelievably low price 

I suspect Clay could easily have made this the Fein III with improved sound and better case and none of us will be any wiser. And he will be much richer!  

We are indeed blessed with people like Clay and you, Bill, who produce excellent products that compete with overseas products that cost many times more. ? 

P/s not associated with Clay and Bill in anyway.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I own a Gieseler Klein Dac 11 and am patiently and excitedly awaiting the arrival of Clay's new Dac...

What is confusing me  is in working out how many different Geiseler Dacs (with their power units) their are and what their release order is and trying to fit my model into the scheme of things to get an idea of how it stacks up...

@Snoopy8 provided me with a useful reference guide... reviews ...

• Like 2

Clay has recently got a Aries G1 from Mike Lenehan.   He is very impressed.   Mike recently installed a system with an old Gross USB only DAC I have and a G1 and was very impressed.  The person will be getting Clys new DAC when released.   So impressed he wants to build a special cabinet for the G!, Clay's DAC on an isolation platform which should sound very impressive.   I found with the Gross USB only sounded noticablt better,   I do not know if thats the case with the new DAC, but once things have settled down a bt it could be something Clay can investigate - hint hint.

BTW when Mike releases his new speaker there will be a comparison between this DAC, The Grandinote and the Chord TT2 direct connected to speakers.   These other DAC's are MUCH more expensive, but I have zero doubt Clays DAC will hold its own.   We already knows Clay is a genius producing likely the best value for money DAC in the world, but if it takes out those two DAC's he deserves a Nobel prize.   And do not think, no way that will happen.   My USB only Gross DAC took out a Direct Stream.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very interested in this new DAC - might finally tempt me to try something new (been casting sideways glances at used Fein II's in the classifieds...)

Any chance of a BNC output instead/as well as the standard SPDIF plug?