Sign in to follow this  
Hazzzy

Cartridge settings

Hi

I have a AT33 PTG Prestige MC

http://www.kogerer.ru/subj/at33ptg.html

I am trying to work out what setting is best with a PS Audio ADC

https://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/NuWave-Phono-Converter-Owners-Manual-Rev-B-V3.pdf

I am not sure on what switches to put in the up position to give the best Ohms settings. Gain is easy to change from the front buttons.

Thanks in advance.

With my PTG/II my favourite setting was 470 ohms on my gear, the closest you can get on yours is 600 which is 3,4,5,6 up. Just play around with it to what suits your ears. You can't do any damage to anything at all by trying different loadings.

19 minutes ago, Hergest said:

You can't do any damage to anything at all by trying different loadings

So I can change loadings while playing a record?

27 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

So I can change loadings while playing a record?

Sure, H.  But, because it depends on how the PS Audio ADC works its dip switches ... just have volume turned down when you do it the first time.  If there are no loud noises ... next time you can leave the volume on 'normal', when you flip switches.

Now, the specs for your PS Audio ADC say DC coil resistance is 17 ohms.

That says to me, your optimum load could be anywhere from 170 ohms (10x) to 1700 ohms (100x).

Reading the manual you provided - I agree ... it doesn't provide much help, in terms of cart loading!  :(  In fact, the PS Audio ADC seems to me to be slanted towards being a DAC, rather  than a phono stage!  :(

If you want to work out the best loading ... I can send you over:

• a pair of RCA 'T' connectors, and
  • a stack of 'loaded' plugs from around 170 ohms to around 1700 ohms.

You would select the 47k load option and then plug the 'T' connectors into the phono RCAs.  Phono cable goes into one of the 'T' connector inputs, with a load plug into the other.

All you need to do is pay postage each way.

Andy

24 minutes ago, andyr said:

Reading the manual you provided - I agree ... it doesn't provide much help, in terms of cart loading!  :(

Thanks Andy

I bought the ADC a while back with the intention of putting my vinyl on a hard drive. I just haven't actually played with it yet.

As for the ohms settings, can I assume 3 4 5 6 7 8 switch up=1000 ohms and 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 up=1600 ohms?

I hope one of the limited settings will sound good with plenty of gain settings to try.

As for the cartridge coil resistance being 17 ohms, I think I read somewhere that anything up to 1700 ohms could be good.

I will play around and listen before I go ahead and attempt converting to a hard drive.

Rob

4 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Thanks Andy

I bought the ADC a while back with the intention of putting my vinyl on a hard drive. I just haven't actually played with it yet.

As for the ohms settings, can I assume 3 4 5 6 7 8 switch up=1000 ohms and 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 up=1600 ohms?

I hope one of the limited settings will sound good with plenty of gain settings to try.

As for the cartridge coil resistance being 17 ohms, I think I read somewhere that anything up to 1700 ohms could be good.

I will play around and listen before I go ahead and attempt converting to a hard drive.

Rob

Your mission ... if you choose to accept it, H - is to find what load options you have, by flipping those switches.  I'm afraid I can't help you with that.  :(

But if you don't get a nice spread of values between 170 & 1700 ... then you might like to experiment with:

• and the RCA 'T' connectors, plus load plugs.

Andy