Gaslight Records mini doco

14 hours ago, candyflip said:

Great little doco on my old bosses. ?

Yes, good to see that some of our history is being recorded.  I recall Gasslight when it was one of many small import record stores, I valued each one of them.  Was surprised that the store grew to the size that it did, and it was quite an oasis where you could be guaranteed of finding something unexpected, unusal and obscure on each visit.  I got a lot of valued disks there. 

So as an former employee of this fine establishment, please share some of the many interesting stories I'm sure you have from your time there. 

Classic store. Great memories.

I remember doing a saturday run regularly with my mates.

Metal for Melbourne, Pipe Imports (later  Extreme Aggression), Minotaur, Collectors Corner, Batman Records. Records Au Go Go,  Virgin Megastore and Gaslight.  Being a teen I couldn't afford to buy from each store so it was kinda like a big walk around then went back to one or two of the stores and picked up my goodies!

Great times.

Such a shame its all memory bank now.

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Gaslight, Discurio, Pop In, Missing Link, Au Go Go, Collector's Corner all gone. Polyester soon to close their doors.

The niche and secondhand soldier on.

https://digginmelbourne.com/

Yes and I only discovered the other day that Thomas Music is gone too. They were situated quite close to Gaslight. An excellent store for classical, world and jazz.

Thanks @candyflip for posting. What a store, I was trying to start/finish a degree at Ballarat Uni in the early 90's and going to Melbz on the odd occasion was a great way to expand my mind/music collection by trawling through Gaslights racks of CDs.

Like @08Boss302 I too had to choose wisely with limited funds ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Yes, good to see that some of our history is being recorded.  I recall Gasslight when it was one of many small import record stores, I valued each one of them.  Was surprised that the store grew to the size that it did, and it was quite an oasis where you could be guaranteed of finding something unexpected, unusal and obscure on each visit.  I got a lot of valued disks there. 

So as an former employee of this fine establishment, please share some of the many interesting stories I'm sure you have from your time there. 

I used to do the Saturday run when I lived in Burnley. I'd walk to Chapel St and check the shops there. Jump on a tram to St Kilda and always picked up an album at Mostly Jazz on St Kilda Road (still operating I see ?) and then the light rail into the city and do the rounds there. I'd budget for 2-3 albums, but usually picked up a half dozen or more. Gaslight and Discurio were must visits for ECM records. Fond memories. :)

• Like 2