Desktop office system-ideas

So it looks like my Audioengine dac/headphone amp is in the initial process of giving up the ghost. Could also be the Audioengine A5+ speakers but don't think so.

Anyhoo, I see this as a great chance to upgrade the whole shebang. I now work from multiple locations so use a Macbook pro hooked up to an LG 4k USB-C Monitor in my home office, but also have Roon at home on my wife's iMac for the main 2ch rig. Ideally I was thinking of just getting a pair of Kef LSX as a simply solution that would work without the need to hook my laptop up as I currently do. I currently use spotify most of the time as my Macbook remote version of roon is pretty flaky but the KEF are roon endpoints.

Any other speaker active options I should look at up to around $1400? I don't want big volume or enclosures but do need a pre out for a sub

Edited by blybo

I have a source close to $1400.

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Maybe, even Sonos (they are in my bad books for obsoleting my Play 5 !!).

They haven't made it obsolete. I have a play 3 in the kids rumpus room. They just won't be getting new features via firmware. Did you not get the email from the CEO? They are working on a solution to make legacy devices work with newer models.

9 minutes ago, blybo said:

They haven't made it obsolete. I have a play 3 in the kids rumpus room. They just won't be getting new features via firmware. Did you not get the email from the CEO? They are working on a solution to make legacy devices work with newer models.

Wow, didn't expect to get such a reaction. Yes, I do know about the CEO's 2nd letter. I used to be supportive of Sonos but now indifferent. They burnt a lot of goodwill with their recent moves.

30 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Wow, didn't expect to get such a reaction. Yes, I do know about the CEO's 2nd letter. I used to be supportive of Sonos but now indifferent. They burnt a lot of goodwill with their recent moves.

Well your statement wasn't quite correct and could lead to further misinformation. Sure it wasn't handled well by Sonos initially, but credit where credit is due, they listened to the feedback and taking measures to change software. Would others?