Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
NADbooffa

Music Streamer - Auralic Aries or NAD C658

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

The current setup is NAIM Nait driving two B&W CM9 floorstanders  and NAD T762 (soon to be replaced) driving the center and surrounds ( B&W)

Oppo 105D being used as a pre amp, connected to NAIM via balanced o/p for music (CD, SACD, Bluray etc)

 

Need a streamer to be used with NAIM ( maybe via 105D )

 

Thinking about getting an Auralic Aries or NAD C658 (with Dirac) as the streamer.

Leaning more towards the C658 as Auralic don't have much of a presence here in Oz? ( for after sales issues)

 

What are your thoughts?

 

Cheers.

Edited by NADbooffa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things in favour of the NAD C658 are Dirac and BluOS. Dirac does make a significant difference to the music. BluOS is probably one of the better Apps which is updated regularly.

 

Worth a read

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-2020-review-of-the-bluos-platform-r874/

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Snoopy8👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no experience with the NAD products mentioned here, but I do have an Auralic Aries Femto. It is a very good, high quality streamer for its price point (approx $2000). I've had no issues with it and would highly recommend this one if you are looking for a pure streamer with good digital outputs. Do bear in mind though that the Aries does not have a DAC. The Aries mini, as well as a few other products from Auralic do have one. 

 

P.S - The Auralic software is reasonably good - though it works only on apple devices. You can use UPnP for Android, but I didn't care much for the Andriod experience

Edited by anandpkumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

I have no experience with the NAD products mentioned here, but I do have an Auralic Aries Femto. It is a very good, high quality streamer for its price point (approx $2000). I've had no issues with it and would highly recommend this one if you are looking for a pure streamer with good digital outputs. Do bear in mind though that the Aries does not have a DAC. The Aries mini, as well as a few other products from Auralic do have one. 

 

P.S - The Auralic software is reasonably good - though it works only on apple devices. You can use UPnP for Android, but I didn't care much for the Andriod experience

Thanks for the info. If I get a Auralic Aries, I was thinking to use oppo 105D as the DAC. But I don't use iPhone so will have to use android phone/tablet. 

 

How did you source an Auralic in Oz? Bought it online?

 

Cheers

 

Cheers

Edited by NADbooffa
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NADbooffa said:

Thanks for the info. If I get a Auralic Aries, I was thinking to use oppo 105D as the DAC. But I don't use iPhone so will have to use android phone/tablet. 

 

How did you source an Auralic in Oz? Bought it online?

 

Cheers

Auralic is available in Oz through many retailers. I got mine used from the classifieds section of the forum - they do prop up now and then for a good price

 

I didn't like any of the 3rd party UPnP apps that worked with Android. Luckily had an iPad which I am using now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NADbooffa said:

If I get a Auralic Aries, I was thinking to use oppo 105D as the DAC. 

I suspect the DAC on the NAD C658 will beat the standard 105D. And will simplify the music chain.

 

Have you auditioned both the Aries and C658? (and yes Auralic available to audition).

 

Not sure whether you have seen the following on C658

 

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I suspect the DAC on the NAD C658 will beat the standard 105D. And will simplify the music chain.

 

Have you auditioned both the Aries and C658? (and yes Auralic available to audition).

 

Not sure whether you have seen the following on C658

 

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

 

Thanks snoopy8. That link give me some food for thought. I'm still finding info about both devices and in no hurry to purchase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi Mate ,

I have sold my Naim 172xs Streamer and have just bought NAD C 658. I am hoping to receive it by Friday. I  will let you know how I go once Its all set up and Dirac has done It;s thing. Dirac swayed me towards NAD.

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Mate ,

I have sold my Naim 172xs Streamer and have just bought NAD C 658. I am hoping to receive it by Friday. I  will let you know how I go once Its all set up and Dirac has done It;s thing. Dirac swayed me towards NAD.

Cheers 

Hi,  that would be fantastic. Looking forward to your comments. 

 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allright  I have set up NAD C658 and I am impressed so far. I have not completed full Dirac set up as the weather has gone nuts and I was worried about power flick due to Thunderstorms here. Have only done 7 measurements and applied the filter for now. Dirac Live has made a massive difference to sound in my system. Best of Dirac Live I found is Volume level matching of Speakers and Subwoofers. I am using 2 X Subsonic Subs and Dirac was able to integrate them quite nicely. Will do a full 17 position measurement tomorrow and that should further improve the sound. I am a very happy man.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Allright  I have set up NAD C658 and I am impressed so far. I have not completed full Dirac set up as the weather has gone nuts and I was worried about power flick due to Thunderstorms here. Have only done 7 measurements and applied the filter for now. Dirac Live has made a massive difference to sound in my system. Best of Dirac Live I found is Volume level matching of Speakers and Subwoofers. I am using 2 X Subsonic Subs and Dirac was able to integrate them quite nicely. Will do a full 17 position measurement tomorrow and that should further improve the sound. I am a very happy man.

Cheers

👍 Good to hear. Note that more measurements may not make a huge difference...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


19 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

👍 Good to hear. Note that more measurements may not make a huge difference...

I know Snoop but Want to set up properly once and then forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

I know Snoop but Want to set up properly once and then forget about it.

You wish!  It could lead you to more tinkering or you may be changing things in the room.

 

Did you pay for the upgrade to full license?  I think it makes a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More positive real world user experience on the C658 is making the wait for mine even longer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Can Dirac live  be applied to stereo (2.1) systems or it's only for 5.1 and above?

 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NADbooffa said:

Can Dirac live  be applied to stereo (2.1) systems or it's only for 5.1 and above?

 

Cheers. 

Both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Both

I knew it was a kinda dumb question to ask. But wanted to know as lately I've been listrning to music in stereo (2.1) 90% of the time and less and less using HT (5.1) for movies.

 

Thanks for your reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NAD lets you choose between 1 Sub , 2 Subs and No Subwoofer.

Edited by gillmaverick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just picked up the NAD C 658 yesterday myself, so far it was a tad hit and miss to start with but once I got Bluos downloaded and installed on both my phone and desktop things started to fall into place
Once both my NAS and desktop had been discovered and all the songs imported and updated it was a breeze to use, another feature I really love is the internet radio stations, again very easy to use and navigate.
It is my first using the Bluos management system and so far am loving it.
Basically I got the 658 to do Dirac room correction, the other features came along as a bonus over and above getting the MiniDSP SHD Studio that I was going to get instead headed down the 658 track mainly due they are obtained locally and local support.
I am really enjoying the sound quality so far and look forward to getting to know all of its features and using them - no need for Roon, Airplay or Bubbleupnp with this.

I have the MiniDSP UMIK1 mic arriving this week so will cool to see if this will be a improvement over the standard mic that you get with the 658 esp being able to import the mic calibration file for real accuracy - just have to figure out how to implement the UMIK1 with Dirac - whether to plug it into the PC or 658

Two things I found that are a pain in the arse:

1. The user manual is online download only - would be far nicer to have a hard cover, also the manual is pretty vague/simple and doesn't give much depth

2. Having communication issues trying to connect to the 658 via Dirac from my PC, it can see it BUT keeps on timing out while trying to connect, can take me up to 9 or 10 goes to get it to connect but after all is good. Any advice or tips on this will greatly be appreciated.

 

Have all my sources connected to the 658 which then is connected to my Hegel H390 int. amp. which powers my Dynaudio Excite X44s

 

Quick question - I noticed that some photos online show the power switch showing a blue light on the power button when turned on - mine doesn't - be nice to be able to get that to go - is there any way to switch that on?

Edited by GaryNZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GaryNZ said:

Just picked up the NAD C 658 yesterday myself, so far it was a tad hit and miss to start with but once I got Bluos downloaded and installed on both my phone and desktop things started to fall into place
Once both my NAS and desktop had been discovered and all the songs imported and updated it was a breeze to use, another feature I really love is the internet radio stations, again very easy to use and navigate.
It is my first using the Bluos management system and so far am loving it.
Basically I got the 658 to do Dirac room correction, the other features came along as a bonus over and above getting the MiniDSP SHD Studio that I was going to get instead headed down the 658 track mainly due they are obtained locally and local support.
I am really enjoying the sound quality so far and look forward to getting to know all of its features and using them - no need for Roon, Airplay or Bubbleupnp with this.

I have the MiniDSP UMIK1 mic arriving this week so will cool to see if this will be a improvement over the standard mic that you get with the 658 esp being able to import the mic calibration file for real accuracy - just have to figure out how to implement the UMIK1 with Dirac - whether to plug it into the PC or 658

Two things I found that are a pain in the arse:

1. The user manual is online download only - would be far nicer to have a hard cover, also the manual is pretty vague/simple and doesn't give much depth

2. Having communication issues trying to connect to the 658 via Dirac from my PC, it can see it BUT keeps on timing out while trying to connect, can take me up to 9 or 10 goes to get it to connect but after all is good. Any advice or tips on this will greatly be appreciated.

 

Have all my sources connected to the 658 which then is connected to my Hegel H390 int. amp. which powers my Dynaudio Excite X44s

 

Quick question - I noticed that some photos online show the power switch showing a blue light on the power button when turned on - mine doesn't - be nice to be able to get that to go - is there any way to switch that on?

Hi Gary ,

Congrats on your New NAD. Please let us know if UMIC-1 makes any difference. I have only used the standard NAD Mic.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wish you hours of enjoyment with your new NAD.

 

 

Just a note on the Auralic.

Using an Aries G1 since December. Readily available in Oz now as there is a local distributor.

Excellent app interface (though Apple only).

Works with UPnP but not as graphical.

 

Has " improved" the sound of my DAC compared to the feed of the same tracks from my CD transport..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bones2 said:

 

Wish you hours of enjoyment with your new NAD.

 

 

Just a note on the Auralic.

Using an Aries G1 since December. Readily available in Oz now as there is a local distributor.

Excellent app interface (though Apple only).

Works with UPnP but not as graphical.

 

Has " improved" the sound of my DAC compared to the feed of the same tracks from my CD transport..

That's good to know Auralic is available now in oz 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2020 at 4:20 PM, Bones2 said:

 

Wish you hours of enjoyment with your new NAD.

 

 

Just a note on the Auralic.

Using an Aries G1 since December. Readily available in Oz now as there is a local distributor.

Excellent app interface (though Apple only).

Works with UPnP but not as graphical.

 

Has " improved" the sound of my DAC compared to the feed of the same tracks from my CD transport..

Does Auralic do room correction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Tachines
      Item: NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier
      Price Range: 2000-2500 depending on condition, warranty etc
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info: Looking for an intergreated amp with DAC and Bluetooth/Airplay in-built to pair with Dynaudio Excite X44, this all-in-one streamer really catched my eyes. If you have anything similar to M10 in this price range please also feel free to comment or PM.
    • By hammerharry
      After a momentary power outages yesterday my Aries does not now appear to recognise my connected USB portable drive. When I access the addition settings menu the library setup option is available for a few seconds before disappearing to return again for another couple of seconds.
      When I attempt to setup an existing library the scan screen appears briefly before telling me there is an issue.
       
      Anyone experience anything along these lines?
       
      Cheers, Harry
    • By niss_man
      Just putting this thread up as promised to @DavidDoerfer who kindly paid forward some free gear a few weeks ago.
      I received this amplifier for free from David. A NAD 3155 a bit of research shows they were built in 1985 and this one has been particularly well looked after. Nad specs. I wish all amps had proper specs like this (not many do anymore) instead of inflated power figures at high distortion figures this one shows both chanels driven from 20-20khz with no more than the rated distortion (which is nice and low). 

       
      I decided to not even power this amp up and just went into replacing a few capacitors and checking all of them with my meter. Mind you I would have expected this to have worked since most caps were well within spec. The board looked in good condition with what seemed to be original transistors as well.
       

       


       
       

       
       
      You will notice that all the electrolytic capacitors on each board have their negative side all facing the same direction. Makes it easy to know which way to place the caps when soldering. (nice engineering thought).
       

       

       
       
      I always found the heatsinks in these Nads interesting. It looks like they used an L piece of extruded aluminium and then get some sharp fins to scrape down the edges to create the fins for the heatsink as evident by the curly ends of the fins.
       

       
      I haven't checked, but I think these are original transistors.
       

       

       

       

       

       
       
      The caps I replaced. Note that 95% of these were still within spec but I replaced them anyway with new ones. I didn't replace the Power supply caps but they were well within spec and reused them.
       

       
       
      I connect a bulb tester (have not got a variac). the bulb is connected in series with the 240v mains and the amp pluged in afterwards. When powering up the bulbs glows bright briefly (less than a few tenths of a second) before dimming down to barely just on. If it continues to glow brightly then there is something wrong with the amp blown transistor or what not that needs to be fault rectified. This amp was perfectly fine.
       

       
       
      The bigger multimeter not connected here was used to show the dc offset on both chanels which was un der 0.5mV for both channels. The 2 smaller multimeters show the standby (quiescent) current through the power transistors. The manual states 20 - 25mV setting. Only a very minor tweak was needed for one channel once warmed up. It was still passable before adjusting though.
       

       
       
      Put some sine wave through. Used a 7.3ohm resistor as load and just before clipping.
       

       
      That was 36.8v peak...so   for those who like math.   36.8 / root2 = 26v rms
      V = IR  so Current = 26/ 7.3  (7.3 ohm load resistors)   = 3.56 A
      Power = VI   = 26 x 3.56  = 92Watts into the single channel being tested.
       

       
      Running both channels at the same time produced 33.2V Peak so it has around 3V droop in supply voltage with both channels used as can be expected.
      This equates to 75W per channel both channels flat out. This actually exceeded the NAD spec sheet although I didn't have any distortion meter on their so I could have been over driving it slighly even though the scope showed no flat spotting of the peaks of signal.
       
       
      Finally some pics of the amp playing through some speakers. The amp still sounds great and hopefully has another good 20 years of life left in it.
       

       

       

       
      Can't tell this is a diy household at all can we.
       
      Cheers Simon
       
    • By SoundGuy
      Item Condition: Used - Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Bank transfer + paypal pay a friend only Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
       
      I’ve had many network players/streamers in the past, and this is the best I’ve had so far. built-in 2 x 2TB hard drive for storing ur music. It is also a CD player and ripper. U can rip ur CD directly to built in hard drive. It is also a network/spotify/tidal player. 🙂 
       
      Retail is $6999. 
       
      https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/nad-m50-2-digital-music-player.html
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved



    • By dan-m9
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Toowoomba State: Queensland Payment Method: Paypal (+2.6% Fees) , EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
      In very good condition, clean inside (no dust) and working perfectly as new (no scratchy pots etc), selling due to tube amp upgrade.

      It does come with a working remote BUT it is not the original remote.
      2 Channel - 80W Per Channel
      Still a current model that sells for over $1,000 AUD new.
       
      Any questions please ask.  

      Extra Info/Specs:
       Data-Sheet-C-356BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier.pdf

      Photos:

       

       

       
       
       
       

×
×
  • Create New...