Sign in to follow this  
hifi123

Upgrading from Vienna Acoustic Haydns to ??????

The contrast Audio bookshelves are well worth a listen and their price to performance ratio is really outstanding too

1 hour ago, yannakout said:

The contrast Audio bookshelves are well worth a listen and their price to performance ratio is really outstanding too

Agreed, Anthony @Grizzly had a pair setup here last year for a presentation - and others beside myself were left very highly impressed by their performance. 

On 11/02/2020 at 2:13 PM, Standards said:

Osborn Eos Reference Elite is a very nice bookshelf speaker

I owned a non reference Eos for awhile. Sold them after a month. They were nice at what they did, don't get me wrong, but preferred the fullness a much cheaper Focal 806v which is now used as rear surrounds in my home theatre. Maybe some bargaining could get you into a set of Kanta No 1's if you want a more lively sound.

21 hours ago, lemarquis said:

The Osborn Eos go very low

That was not my experience and I was using Elektra pre/power at the time.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

That was not my experience and I was using Elektra pre/power at the time.

Interesting. I think one difference between the standard and the Ref Eos may be the lead lining which might give a better bottom end. Synergy and rooms vary of course. All I can say is that driving the Eos Ref with the Opera Consonance (40w) in my room (4 X 8m) gave enough bottom end  to be able to do away with the sub for all but perhaps organ music where I was missing that very low energy. I was still considering keeping the sub for that reason. However, with the Vincent which has a very full presentation I can't see a real need for a sub. It runs mostly in Class A and I'm reluctant to crank it much past 9 o'çlock on the dial as they go very very loud and full and the SPLs would get scary.

The Osborns do need to be quite close to the wall. Bringing them too far out into the room (as per a more usual stand mount or bookshelf set up) will drop the low end significantly. Took me a while to get that right. 

That said, the focals are a very nice speaker and as you point out, quite a deal cheaper. You could go a bit higher up the focal chain for the OP's budget.

Edited by lemarquis

Quadral Galan 9 - absolutely superb bookshelves.

I see you’re in Vic, if the West doesn’t scare you off, you’re welcome to come and hear them; being your own to see how they stack up in my system for reference.

I heard some Focal Electra 1008s at Sight and Sound Galleria in Camberwell about a month ago. Dynamic and detailed. And to make it more palatable they had them for the amazing price of $4k + but they had a limited number available.  Do yourself a favour and go have a listen. I thought very hard about them but in the end thought they were probably a but too detailed for me and upgraded my Dyn F160s to the Confidence C1. Still running them in and they sound rubbish at the moment but I’m assured they will sound fantastic after 100 hours ! Actually if you can find the F160s on the used market you should have a listen. I suspect they are exactly what you’ll like but they don’t come on the 2nd hand market very often 

Thanks for all the suggestions/recommendations. I greatly appreciate the time and effort taken by everyone.

This process will take some time as I live in rural Vic.

Once I have made a decision I will post it here.

Until then any suggestions appreciated :)

11 hours ago, Boratri said:

I heard some Focal Electra 1008s at Sight and Sound Galleria in Camberwell about a month ago. Dynamic and detailed. And to make it more palatable they had them for the amazing price of $4k + but they had a limited number available.  Do yourself a favour and go have a listen.

I'd be planning a day trip if I was the OP.

I actually went backwards price wise but definitely forward sonically. I used to run a pair of Beethoven floorstanders with a Densen. First off a B 110 integrated and then using that as a pre ran it through a B 310 power amp and when I fancied a change from the Viennas there was so much choice my head was spinning. In what I thought was a stopgap for a while until I'd decided what to go for I bought a pair of Legend Kantu 7s direct from the factory when they were on run out. Never looked back or thought to change them over the 5 or 6 years I've owned them. I've got a pair of Haydns in the study and the first speakers I'd look at to replace them now would be a pair of Legend Kurre. Big savings to your budget.