Anyone know a good tech in Melbourne?

13 minutes ago, Super Mustud said:

Andrew at Dr Sound on 97953043 is very reliable. Also very reasonable on pricing. He is in Mulgrave.

http://www.drsound.com.au/

Make sure you check the work he does if you decide to use him.

He had my item well over 6 months, charged for a full recap but only replaced 1 single capacitor, with a Jamicon.

The only way I found out was thanks to helpful members here pointing it out.

5 minutes ago, zero1 said:

Make sure you check the work he does if you decide to use him.

He had my item well over 6 months, charged for a full recap but only replaced 1 single capacitor, with a Jamicon.

The only way I found out was thanks to helpful members here pointing it out.

Hmm, interesting. I never had that problem. Lucky me.

• Love 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's my fault, I'm an idiot. I just received new drivers (woofers) for my PMC's and noticed a screw was undone on the rear speaker terminal (I use Banana's). I had music playing and thought 'I don't need to turn the amp off, I'm only pulling one cable out'. Silly me, I pulled it out and the other cable sprang out hitting the one I was holding. Bang, smoke, smell all bad. The channel works but is distorted.

19 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's my fault, I'm an idiot. I just received new drivers (woofers) for my PMC's and noticed a screw was undone on the rear speaker terminal (I use Banana's). I had music playing and thought 'I don't need to turn the amp off, I'm only pulling one cable out'. Silly me, I pulled it out and the other cable sprang out hitting the one I was holding. Bang, smoke, smell all bad. The channel works but is distorted.

Happens to the best of us, hopefully someone's able to sort it out. Is it the Alpha 907 in your sig?

27 minutes ago, muon* said:

Wow!, and a bloody Jamicon at that :(

And the one specific thing I requested was no Jamicons :frantics:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zero1 said:

Happens to the best of us, hopefully someone's able to sort it out. Is it the Alpha 907 in your sig?

And the one specific thing I requested was no Jamicons :frantics:

Yeah the original Alpha 907.

Alpha907-1.jpg.b9efa71f4ea4a8d29b15360c19994ae8.jpg

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

Hi. I hope it's OK to jump on the end of this thread as it is a recent one.

I have a Toshiba quadraphonic amp with one dead channel.  I am in Melbourne's inner northern suburbs.

I reached out to Garry Cawsey but he is not able to take on repairs at this time.  

Are there any other recommendations? Any experience with this business: http://audioclassichifi.com/ ?

Thanks

I have not heard of this company and a street address is not listed. Perhaps another member can furnish information about Audio classic HiFi.

I would suggest that you check  all the fuses as a first step.  If there is a more serious fault,  the cost of repairs could exceed the commercial value of this old  Toshiba amplifier.

Sometimes it is better to put your money into new equipment. Whatever happened to trade-ins ?

On 17/02/2020 at 1:02 PM, Quad Fan said:

I have a Toshiba quadraphonic amp with one dead channel.  I am in Melbourne's inner northern suburbs.

What is the model number on the toshiba?

What suburb in melb?

Many problems in vintage due to bad contacts, eg, dirty swiches, dry solder connections,,, Could also be failed silicon. Reasonably straight forward for a tech to diagnose in this case, no need to bin the amp...

Edited by mbz
update

13 hours ago, mbz said:

What is the model number on the toshiba?

What suburb in melb?

Many problems in vintage due to bad contacts, eg, dirty swiches, dry solder connections,,, Could also be failed silicon. Reasonably straight forward for a tech to diagnose in this case, no need to bin the amp...

SB-514

Kingsbury (near La trobe Uni)

Yes, I am hoping it's something relatively simple.  I certainly don't intend to bin it!

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 9:24 AM, Quad Fan said:

SB-514

Kingsbury (near La trobe Uni)

Yes, I am hoping it's something relatively simple.  I certainly don't intend to bin it!

Since you have supplied details of the Toshiba  amplifier  model  and while I suggested checking fuses previously; your amplifier is fitted with four resettable cut-out switches for protection. Have you checked  to see if  one of them needs to be reset? If it still needs to be serviced  after that check, you could try Audiophile at 150 Northern Road, Heidelberg Heights but you may find he only opens on Saturdays.

Edited by VanArn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VanArn said:

your amplifier is fitted with four resettable cut-out switches for protection. Have you checked  to see if  one of them needs to be reset? 

Thank you for the suggestion but the issue is not the cut-out switch.

On 19/02/2020 at 9:24 AM, Quad Fan said:

SB-514

Pull all PRE-OUT/MAIN-IN links at rear of unit. Connect iPOD/phone or whatever to main in of problematic channel. Set volume to minimum and slowly increase, check for audio. This tests if it's a pre or power amp issue.

• Like 1