Electrovoice Interface.

Looking for a great Cartridge for New Turntable ?

Several months ago I purchased a new turntable I have yet to use it as it is a long term project 

My question to the Turntable fraternity can you spend more on a cartridge than the turntable is capable of handling 

regarding the end sound the turntable in question is a Bryston  BLP-1  which was made in a collaboration with high-end Italian manufacturer Gold Note.

As i mentioned its a long term project and i still to purchase a phono amp and cartridge 

The cartridge i am very keen on is the Kiseki Blue and SOUNDSMITH CARTRIDGE - ZEPHYR MIMC STAR

Any help with suggestions re cart or phono stage amp would be welcome 

bryston-blp-1-btp-1.jpg

image.jpg

bryston-btp-1-power-supply.jpg

3 hours ago, Electrovoice Interface. said:

Several months ago I purchased a new turntable I have yet to use it as it is a long term project 

My question to the Turntable fraternity can you spend more on a cartridge than the turntable is capable of handling 

regarding the end sound the turntable in question is a Bryston  BLP-1  which was made in a collaboration with high-end Italian manufacturer Gold Note.

As i mentioned its a long term project and i still to purchase a phono amp and cartridge 

The cartridge i am very keen on is the Kiseki Blue and SOUNDSMITH CARTRIDGE - ZEPHYR MIMC STAR

Any help with suggestions re cart or phono stage amp would be welcome

The Bryston BLP-1 is not an inexpensive TT!  It would help if you gave us your total budget - as I could see you could quite easily spend what you spent on the TT ... on each of the phono stage and cartridge, without getting out of whack!  And you're probably not contemplating this level of outlay.  :)

One thing you need to do is find out the "effective weight" of the arm on your TT - as this will guide you in selecting a compatible cartridge.  If it's a:

• light arm - say, 10 gms or less - you need a high compliance cartridge.  These are generally Moving Magnet (high output) carts.
  • heavy arm - say 18 gms or more - you need a low compliance cart.  These are generally Moving Coil (low output) carts.
  • medium arm - it can probably take either MM or MC.

Whether the cart is low output or high output ... then determines whether you need an MC phono stage ... or an MM phono stage.

Andy

Goldnote were formally known as Bluenote, and have always built outstanding turntables. Don't underestimate the deck's capability.

bluenote_bellagio.jpg

Can't give you specific advice.  I did listen to the SoundSmith cart's at the hifi show the last few years, and they sounded very nice.  Had the opportunity to compare a couple of the carts in their range, and the two cart's had a very different (but good) sound.  I would recommend you go to a retailer and spend some time listening to the range.