Posted (edited)

McLaren it is.

Alonso to Renault?

Edited by ArthurDent

Holy crap!

McLaren using Renault engines consistently beating Renault last year was telling.

I think Dan will do well at McLaren.  I would love to see Dan beat Sainz in the Ferrari.
Hulk was generally quicker than Sainz at Renault in ‘18, out qualied 13/8.

I think Alonso has burnt too many bridges and too old, but would love to see him back in F1 and who knows with Ferrari reject Vettel.

Looks like Dan is becoming the journey man he was always destined to be. A shame really, would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the Red Bull back in the day if he got there a year or two earlier. 

He’s 30 years old. Now that Ferrari has passed him over, unfortunately he will likely just knock around in the mid field for another 5 or 6 years before dropping out altogether.

18 hours ago, theMot said:

Looks like Dan is becoming the journey man he was always destined to be. A shame really, would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the Red Bull back in the day if he got there a year or two earlier. 

He’s 30 years old. Now that Ferrari has passed him over, unfortunately he will likely just knock around in the mid field for another 5 or 6 years before dropping out altogether.

Had he been there when Vettel was, and a cpl of years older,  hed likely be a World Champ many times over. If Vettel wasn't there maybe Webber would of reached that Mark as well lol. But it is what it is and I don't blame him for going for money.

F1 is a tad uncertain before this year, and even more so now so take what you can, get out of car racing as he said he wont do it after this and enjoy your life Dan :)

Given the lack of F1 action this year, I want to share two videos from last year that offer ideas on making F1 more exciting for fans. I think they are thought provoking. 

Posted (edited)
On 17/05/2020 at 4:04 PM, Powerslave said:

Had he been there when Vettel was, and a cpl of years older,  hed likely be a World Champ many times over. If Vettel wasn't there maybe Webber would of reached that Mark as well lol. But it is what it is and I don't blame him for going for money. 

No, Dan's very quick but not that quick. Let's be honest.

Made the right choice going to Renault (best money when all other doors shut) - making the right choice with McLaren (best available seat for any money) - and unless both Ferrari drivers implode he'll probably be racing in the US within 5 years.

Hoping McLaren designs a very quick car next year that finds itself with a much better powertrain and the team can adjust - a lot of ifs - and there's some wins in it. Maybe a WDC in time, though that's a long shot, and not because he's faster than Lewis or Max on raw speed.

Edited by rmpfyf

6 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

No, Dan's very quick but not that quick. Let's be honest.

Lets be honest, he was quicker than 4 times WDC Vettel, so why the hell wouldn't of he won multi world champs had he been in RBR instead of Vettel, had Dan been a bit older ofcourse. Verst is quicker in the rain and probly over 1 lap but hes more reckless and Racecraft isnt better than Dans! Verst given the silver spoon as RBR wanted him to be the youngest ever world champ, Dans car went to pieces once he told em he was outa there.

2 hours ago, Powerslave said:

Lets be honest, he was quicker than 4 times WDC Vettel, so why the hell wouldn't of he won multi world champs had he been in RBR instead of Vettel, had Dan been a bit older ofcourse. Verst is quicker in the rain and probly over 1 lap but hes more reckless and Racecraft isnt better than Dans! Verst given the silver spoon as RBR wanted him to be the youngest ever world champ, Dans car went to pieces once he told em he was outa there.

Because he wasn't at RBR instead of Vettel when the car was fastest. Simple. 

Faster than Seb, sure. He's not faster than Max, who's racecraft is much improved from what you suggest. Cars don't go to pieces when drivers say they're moving teams, drivers do. Given what teams are paid for WCC positions there is zero incentive to do as you say - quite the opposite.

He's not Lewis in speed and craft at any rate.

Max had zero DNF's in the last  9 races since Dan said hes bolting...But Riccy?

Yeah....NAAAAAAAAH!

Riccy-DNF-2018.jpg.df5f3b756f644ad6f18bcd327e9e1813.jpg

1 hour ago, Powerslave said:

Max had zero DNF's in the last  9 races since Dan said hes bolting...But Riccy?

Yeah....NAAAAAAAAH!

Riccy-DNF-2018.jpg.df5f3b756f644ad6f18bcd327e9e1813.jpg

Appreciate that. As do RBR. Whilst I could pull plenty of relevant examples going the other way, the end game is simple.

If Dan was clearly more likely to net a WDC they'd have built a team around him. They didn't.

Whatever anyone thinks about how much a team 'likes' any one driver,back in reality the money in the table for results is immense. 

Dan wasn't fast enough to sway them.

McLaren is a great fit for him on paper. Hopefully he finds another gear and takes his career higher. The current trajectory doesn't get him to a WDC.

Drivers can and do change and grow, and find speed as their cars evolve and change in sensitivity. I hope he does. Would love to see him WDC.

Right now though - today's rules, today's cars and teams - Lewis is on another planet, and Max is faster.

Not so convinced about Charles tho.

Totally agree Dan would have a tough time with actual equal cars against Max or Lewis. But I was replying to..."would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the Red Bull back in the day " Hed be a multi WDC simply cuz Vettel was instead :P

26 minutes ago, Powerslave said:

Totally agree Dan would have a tough time with actual equal cars against Max or Lewis. But I was replying to..."would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the Red Bull back in the day " Hed be a multi WDC simply cuz Vettel was instead :P

Seb is a special driver.

If he has the fastest car, qualifies first, has a team mate made to bend over for him and doesn't have to overtake anyone, he wins :D He'd be great at time trials. Anything else seems to faze him. He's got a special take on 'racing'.

I don't think DR would have had a RBR in those days, he would have left much earlier - too good to be a #2 to Seb. Some here might disagree, but even removing our love of one of our own, he's a better driver than Seb IMHO. He simply lives in more competitive times. 

WooHoo! Finally some racing. Can’t wait 😊 

94EFE5B3-969E-46A4-BEA6-A3C5C1265A5D.jpeg

Good news

one new, real, bit of news is that to put the message across better and with dignity about BLM, Merc's have decided to paint their Silver Arrows F1 cars black now read more here

Austria qualifying brought us this not unexpected top three, but then things have changed........

1 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1:02.939
2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:02.951
3 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:03.477
4 Lando Norris McLaren 1:03.626
5 Alexander Albon Red Bull Racing

1:03.868

racing tonight and live if you have Foxtel or can steam it via their app

Good race, go Bottas, shame about the honey badger, more fun next week please.

Yeah, great race, certainly not boring! Nine DNFs. Latifi almost got his first point 😂

who’d have thought the track limits would be the equaliser.

9 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Yeah, great race, certainly not boring! Nine DNFs. Latifi almost got his first point 😂

who’d have thought the track limits would be the equaliser.

An unusual number of mech failures, it's impressive how closely tuned cars are to known thermals. 

Seb... one more race like this and he'll be lucky to last the season. Meh pace and an incredibly amateur attempt at passing. Hopefully for Ferrari he finds his mojo. 

For a dude that might be losing his seat next season Bottas drove super.

Feel very sorry for Albon. Twice now!

Long run pace on the McLaren was excellent. Lando pulled out the lap of his life... purple on his last two sectors. Incredible effort.  

Unusual race, great race.

I really feel for Albon - two bumps with Hamilton in recent races have deprived him of his first podium finish.

Chuffed for Lando after scoring his first ever podium. Great drive and real pace towards the end to narrow the gap and get into third place after Hamilton's penalty.

Bottas drove nicely too - I like his no-nonsense approach. A well-deserved win!

I'd listen to Lando's radio all day long. You could have an F1 telecast for me that's just Lando and Kimi's radios. It'd be hilarious. 

If there's a silver lining for Albon - he's stood his ground. Many drivers would have backed out of it just 'cause it's top dog in the silver-now-black car. He went for it and would have stuck it if not for a mistake from Lewis. He needs to - he's not as fast as the other guy in the same car yet, he can't just be a wallflower. They won't be lamenting their driver at RBR. Given the rate at which Marko seems to eat his young, this is a good thing.