Sign in to follow this  
oldf%$ker

PayPal as a seller

My 1st 3 transactions were all done via EFT with no issues. and I have one sale pending where the buyer insisted on PayPal and has paid the monies to PayPal. To feel safe and secure I presume which I have no issues with.

The money was received by PayPal and I chose to use the instant transfer facility to get the money to me. Now PayPal has flagged it pending a security review. No idea why however a quick google search shows this to be a common occurrence with PayPal and sometimes takes days for the transaction to go through.  I incurred an additional charge to complete this "instant Transfer' and now there is no money showing in PayPal or my bank account although the transfer to my ban account is showing as pending.

I'm sure I will get the money eventually but right now I cannot see it anywhere.

So, my questions are,  until I receive the money have I been paid and should I withhold the item sold until the money appears in my bank account and not PayPal's bank account which is probably offshore in somewhere like Ireland to avoid paying tax here in Australia??

Edited by oldf%$ker

If you want to be safe, yes, hold back.

Inform your buyer of the problem, and wait.

21 minutes ago, candyflip said:

If you want to be safe, yes, hold back.

Inform your buyer of the problem, and wait.

Thanks candyflip. Just wanted to be sure I'm doing the right thing if I withhold the item.

Edited by oldf%$ker

So who protects the seller from PayPal and their dodgy practices of withholding funds. It's all very well to assume that PayPal is a safe mechanism for buying and selling but nothing could be further from the truth. Apart from the practice of withholding funds PayPal is open to scamming from both parties.

They are a law unto themselves and the FSO receives a **** load of complaints about this company.

I'll be very hesitant to use them again.

Edited by oldf%$ker

If you are new to PayPal, they will hold it until the buyer flags them that the transaction is OK.

If you are on PayPal for years, you get money instantly, but any disputes with buyer are subject to PayPal final decision.

Just now, rockeater said:

If you are new to PayPal, they will hold it until the buyer flags them that the transaction is OK.

If you are on PayPal for years, you get money instantly, but any disputes with buyer are subject to PayPal final decision.

They also hold of it’s an unusual amount.

I’ve been a member since 2007 - though when I received a $15,000 payment (from an invoice I sent) - they held it for 28 days (the transaction fell through because of this).

I'm not new to

4 minutes ago, rockeater said:

I am not new to PayPal. 4 Years. This issue has nothing to do with that. Moreover, I'm supposed to send the goods to a buyer and if he decides he doesn't like the headphones and changes his mind he can just send them back and I have to sell them again. Screw that buddy.

Edited by oldf%$ker

1 hour ago, oldf%$ker said:

So who protects the seller from PayPal and their dodgy practices of withholding funds. It's all very well to assume that PayPal is a safe mechanism for buying and selling but nothing could be further from the truth. Apart from the practice of withholding funds PayPal is open to scamming from both parties.

They are a law unto themselves and the FSO receives a **** load of complaints about this company.

I'll be very hesitant to use them again.

You're going through the early tribulations of a new Seller on their platform.

As @rockeater rightly points out, they want to ensure safety for everyone involved in early transactions, and for large unusual transactions as @furtherpale notes.

It's a necessary evil - but it gets better over time.

eBay is the same for new sellers.

edit: just read your reply. Perhaps this was flagged for some other reason beyond your control?

Either way, it's their platform and they'll do as they wish in regards to sanctity of transactions.

If you don't like their model, I agree, you should look elsewhere to banks or other platforms.  👍

Edited by candyflip

This is the very reason I prefer not to use PayPal as a seller. Buying is OK but not selling unless you’re a very regular seller which I’m not. I don’t think it’s the time with them that counts, but the frequency of sales. Once a year is not enough 🤪👎

Someone needs to write a quick little guide for people here regarding Paypal. Its 2020, time to be offering paypal as a payment option, and time to do the simple steps to have it sorted and ready to go. If you only have a handful of feedback like I do, offering paypal should be expected, people want to know they won't be ripped off.

I had these same issues as a Seller with Paypal, but in like 2008. Do the steps once, done, sorted.

Then everyone can be protected with a transaction. Buyers and sellers.

Buyers just pay for the item and pay the fee.

Sellers have the account set up and verified, package the item, take photos, post it, take photos, keep the receipt as proof. Everyone is covered.

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Someone needs to write a quick little guide for people here regarding Paypal. Its 2020, time to be offering paypal as a payment option, and time to do the simple steps to have it sorted and ready to go. If you only have a handful of feedback like I do, offering paypal should be expected, people want to know they won't be ripped off.

hi we purposefully have a section on PayPal in our buying and selling safely online guidelines that is stickied to this sub forum. there are certainly things to watch out for whether buyer or seller and keeping in mind you can be scammed either using PayPal as well.. its not full proof and be careful. 

6 hours ago, oldf%$ker said:

I'm not new to

I am not new to PayPal. 4 Years. This issue has nothing to do with that. Moreover, I'm supposed to send the goods to a buyer and if he decides he doesn't like the headphones and changes his mind he can just send them back and I have to sell them again. Screw that buddy.

Also not how it works. There isn't a change of mind policy. The only thing that can occur is that a buyer reports the item as not being recieved or as described. Then as per my other comment, you as the seller have the evidence of the packaging and postage receipt etc on your side.

Buyers need the most protection, as they are the most easily scammed, as DD is used to frequently here. As a seller you take into account the buyers history, feedback, post count, how long they been on SNA. You can also ask for their mobile number and use it to confirm its them, gives you a registered phone number to report should you need it.

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi we purposefully have a section on PayPal in our buying and selling safely online guidelines that is stickied to this sub forum. there are certainly things to watch out for whether buyer or seller and keeping in mind you can be scammed either using PayPal as well.. its not full proof and be careful. 

I was more saying a guide for people how to set up their Paypal such that transactions won't get flagged or knocked back.

Verifying an account or credit card you wish to withdrawal too, for example, takes a few days. Best to have it ready before you use paypal.

4 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I was more saying a guide for people how to set up their Paypal such that transactions won't get flagged or knocked back.

Verifying an account or credit card you wish to withdrawal too, for example, takes a few days. Best to have it ready before you use paypal.

welcome to do so yourself if see if of value, however if wanting PayPal to do something best follow that up with PayPal id suggest. i myself have found their side pretty comprehensive, not had a problem. buying selling online and using EFT systems like PayPal does have pitfalls, matter of being aware and having wits about to bees circumnavigate :)

23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

keeping in mind you can be scammed either using PayPal as well.. its not full proof and be careful. 

The only foolproof way is collection in person. I  have been scammed as a seller using PayPal. Introducing a third party into a transaction between 2 people is always going to be worrisome.

Edited by oldf%$ker

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

welcome to do so yourself if see if of value, however if wanting PayPal to do something best follow that up with PayPal id suggest. i myself have found their side pretty comprehensive, not had a problem. buying selling online and using EFT systems like PayPal does have pitfalls, matter of being aware and having wits about to bees circumnavigate :)

Same with any online shopping!

4 minutes ago, oldf%$ker said:

The only foolproof way is collection in person. I  have been scammed as a seller using PayPal. Introducing a third party into a transaction between 2 people is always going to be worrisome.

there are some watch outs wiht in person as well, which is covered in that sticky. absolutely there are no sureties especially when buying 2nd hand. you are not buying fro ma store and no guarantees. so have to keep wits about you and be aware and work through the potential bear traps.

Ok everybody, it turns out that the issue was at my end.

My credit card was previously verified with PayPal however I have since been issued a new card and because the CCV/CVC was changed the card was no longer verified.

When the instant transfers were flagged and then refused on a number of attempts all I got from PayPal was that it had been refused. So I had to go digging around my account to see what the issue was and low and behold!!

I must say throughout this process the buyer was patient and understanding and is happy to wait until the funds are transferred.

Oooops. 🙄

Edited by oldf%$ker

He sounds like a real champ.

It's still chance for people to set this accounts up, given most seem to leave the paypal option in the listing ad.

Personally I don't really take money out of my Paypal. Sure as **** I just spend it again on headphones.

good to hear problem solved, I'll close this thread. no doubt be useful for someone else falling in same predicament !